Speech!

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
My brother gets married on the 18th September, I'm best man. I can and do happily do a presentation to 100+ peeps without fear or lack of confidence. The thought of me delivery a toast/speech at my bro's wedding has me cacking it though. I think it's because it in front of people I know well, and my folks will be there too :) I know as soon as I stand up and start talking I'll be fine, jeez I need a fag :/
Anyone else had to perform as a best man? Did you cack it?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Keep it short

One or two jokes only

Don't take the piss out of the Bride's family

Have notes in front you

Make sure you have a drink in front of you

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah what Tom said, I had to do it in front of like 150 people, and at the age of only 20 I was damn scared. I had cheat cards about what I was going to say, but as you can do presentations you probably already know about those. Have a few drinks to loosen you up but dont get wasted, keep it short and sweet, tell some funny story about your brother, like the time he fell out of a tree and landed on his head..oh how we laughed! ho ho ho. that kinda thing, and wish them both well, thank everyone for coming and you will be fine mate.
There are also a lot of sites that give you advice, or even make a speech for you...thats if you get desperate!

Hope thats useful!

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I was bricking it just doing the groom's bit, my best man had more booze than me beforehand and he was shaking.

Yeah, cheat cards are best, and break the ice quickly. My best man started with the lines 'Adam was a very ugly baby' to which my mum piped up in my defence and everyone started laughing.

The best intro if you have a cool crowd is something like 'I prepared a few lines before I started *pretend to wipe powder from nose* , and now I feel much better'.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I was my nans best man when I was 15 and she was 60, lol. :( Its fucking nervewracking but its alright. Once you stand up its easy. People are all jolly and shit, they don't really care what you say. Just don't be offensive. Keep it lighthearted, and yeah have a drink so you've got something to do once you sit down, otherwise you look like a prat. :)

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
The speech is after the meal, I'm worried I might well be pissed by then :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
If you're naturally a funny guy go for jokes, if you usually can't tell a joke to save your life then don't bother trying, it doesn't get any easier with more people listening.

Play to your strengths, if you are happy giving a presentation then try that, the venue would probably help you set up a projector and screen, scan a few old photos etc. could work a treat.

I have done the job twice, and both went fine even though neither performance was stunning. My biggest laugh last time was given to me by the bride. She was a bit of a control freak and had given the ushers huge long written instructions on where to place the flowers in the church and what to do with the ones from the preceding wedding. I simply read the whole thing in one breath, to make it sound even worse than it was. Everyone knew how anal she was and just fell about. My own jokes were shite by comparison, but people still remember the speech as being a good one.

Remeber that most people there will want to enjoy the speech, and will be on your side.

RB

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
Rubber Bullets said:
Play to your strengths, if you are happy giving a presentation then try that, the venue would probably help you set up a projector and screen, scan a few old photos etc. could work a treat.

RB

I did the projector thing. Added some pithy speech balloons to the old, scanned photos (lot's of 80's hairstyles etc) - went down a treat.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I had to perform as Groom.

But earlier that day I had to give a speech.

:p

mank!

Part of the furniture
Swift^ said:
Never been to a wedding :<

You're not missing much! I have to miss football for a wedding next week, it's a disgrace.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but don't make it too long and try not to babble or you'll drive everyone into despair - this could also be good for you as you can keep it short and sweet!

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I've been best man twice and also gave my grandfather's funeral eulogy/doxology whatever ology it was! I'm used to addressing large numbers of people at the same time, including people I know well, but when it's about a more personal subject then that can be more difficult.

Have an outline of what you want to say and the order in which you want to cover those 'main points'. Sounds a little forced, I know, but it helps you say what needs to be said without losing it to nerves. When I'm nervous I tend to tell silly stories or jokes which only I laugh at ... everyone else is laughing at me ;)

Of course giving a shorter speech does reduce the chance to cock it up, but if you are properly prepared you can talk for hours... Not that I would recommend that!

I'm sure you'll be fine, just flatter everybody and they'll all love you.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Well this was this Saturday.
Speech was 8/10 minutes, the last of 3 speeches made.
I somehow managed to make everyone laugh (70 peeps), in fact the stood and applauded at the end :)
My ickle bro is a married man, jeez I'm old :/

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oho. glad it went well matey! tis hard to talk to a crowd of people, even if you know them all, let alone make them laugh :) well done!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
One advice, though haven't done this type o thing before:

People wouldn't think so much about what others think if they knew how little others actually care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom