Specs for a UT server

O

old.SUp3rFM

lo all :)

I'm trying to get an UT Server running smoothly, specially, a one that can handle 10 players and a couple of spects as well.

I "have" a P3 700 with 256mb actually connected to a T1 line (1.5mbit). As it is now, when doing a ctf 5on5 it lags a bit. Are this specs that bad? Usually, with 6/8 guys all us of get great pings.

Oh, the server is running under w98 (yeah, I know :()

Should it be upgraded?

W

Wij

Hmm. There's some logging setting in the ini file which is turned on by default. If u turn it off it saves tonnes of cpu. Can't remember what it is tho :)

O

old.SUp3rFM

is that so? hmm... can anyone tell me what it is?

Wij, if you hadn't spent so much time in the WC, you'd remember :p

You're suffering the effects of fart gases overexposure :p

O

old.SUp3rFM

hmm.. how bout helping me out, you fart spammer? :p

O

old.DELTA007

Buy a new CPU and make it a dual CPUed box :D
Weeeeeee

O

old.RookieWan

Nah I think it's mainly due to Win98... it's one of the worst OS for dedicated servers. Go for NT4 or Linux.
The CPU and memory should be able to handle the server without problems though.

O

old.SUp3rFM

ferral, been there in the 1st place :)

They say that a PII300 should run an ut server smoothly ;)

I know w98 sucks, for an OS and for an UT server.... Getting w2k running there would be great. Dunno if i can't :(

O

old.pttp-rincewind

Err wouldn't recommend Win2K, it causes problems (lagging at beginning of games...there are some suggestions of how to cure it but these didn't seem to work for me). Would go with Rookie's suggestion of either NT4 or Linux.

You've prolly tried these cause they are on tha AdminPage but.......Might also be worth tweaking your MaxClientRate, with a 1.5 meg conn 10 players sb no problem...by default MaxClientRate is set to 20000 I believe, try dropping this down to somewhere around 7000-10000 (7000 being the max that Epic claim a client can achieve regardless of conn). I would also suggest setting your Cache size to half available RAM

O

old.SUp3rFM

Client max rate is set at 7000. Still, it lags with 10 players :(

hmm... nt4, no. Linux, maybe. But first, I have to talk with the guy who sits in front of the server :)

I believe I'm using his box to run the server without him knowing. Wicked, han? :)

O

old.DELTA007

Ah u've learned those real-life undercover tactics from playing so much TO haven't u? :p

T

Testin da Cable

go linux SUp3rFM :)

it isn't as tough as some peeps make it out to be and it performs very well :D

-tdc

btw, I still gotta drop by to talk to you :)
been working waaaaay to much lately tho :( so havn't had the time

W

Wij

linux ?

can't be arsed. i'm a lazy microsoft warezer :D

F

ferral

I wouldn't worry about that Wij. Either they'll drop it due to public pressure or someone will release a little program that scans your hardware and gives you a key. ;)

T

Testin da Cable

indeed :)

not that that says anything about quality...

O

old.SUp3rFM

Let's stick to the subject. :p

Can't put Linux, as I said, thats a workstation for design/webdesign.

Is there some tweakin to do, to improve server's performance?

T

Testin da Cable

heh then it should be linux in the first place :D
but nm that :)

O

old.RookieWan

Then SuperFM, ur basically fecked :)
Learn to like the lag I'm afraid, unless you want a major conflict at work when u install a new OS on this guys PC ;)

Dual boot perhaps? Make a NT4 partitiion and run 98/ NT4 dual boot. But I'd check with the guy using that machine though because he might not like it...

O

old.SUp3rFM

Well, since I'm from Portugal, we are clearly the world's best lag players :)

I wish to play with a 60ms ping at BW... someday :(

Partitions.. hmm.. I'll have a chat with him

O

old.|V3|WhiteTiger

Originally posted by SUp3rFM
hmm... nt4, no. Linux, maybe. But first, I have to talk with the guy who sits in front of the server :)

Hehehe what a naughty little boy :D :D

[Edited by |V3|WhiteTiger on 23-03-01 at 02:26]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom