soz

B

bredo

Ok can someone pls enlighten me on what soz/sos stands for? i understand it means the same as sorry, but if thats what it's short for i don't understand the s/z

L

liste

its leet, its trendy, its hip.

the s <-> z switch, is the same as in plz/pls/please i guess :)

S

Sharma

sos = Speed of sound?

or just ask coren for his version..:D

B

bredo

i didnt mean s-z change i meant the last letter in sos/soz...

if soz/sos=sorry then i dont understand what the last letter is for. I thought sorry was spelled sry short. So what does sos/soz stand for?

H

healer_mcheal

i dunno, its just what ppl say, soz is sorry, its like sayin soz m8 etc etc, but i dunno why we say it:)

O

old.LandShark

What's not to understand? :p You're allowed to abbreviate something more than one way, you know ;)

V

Vorcyn

It's a very strange mispelled acronym for sorry :p

O

old.Trine Aquavit

It's just English slang - soz = sorry. It's not l33t speak, it's been around a lot longer than computers.

T

trigali

Err. Trine, you must be wrong, you silly you.

Everyone knows computers have been around forever and ever.

I mean there is simply no way I could have lived until now without them, so that's got to be a proof.

S

sieben_dapoet

=)

coming from london then moving up to the north {birmingham way'ish} i can tell you that soz=sorry is something only said up north.

I had never heard of this when in london, but moved up to shropshire and everyone says it.

It REALLY pissed me off when i first moved up :)

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Hehe, well I used to live in the Midlands (and Shropshire) so that's where I picked it up :)

Soz bab

T

tripitaka

Origin of SoS

SOS was orignally used in Morse code for Save our Souls, mostly used on ships or other forms a telecomminication whr a morse code machine was used in olden times.

- morse for SOS is :
DOT DOT DOT
DASH DASH DASH
DOT DOT DOT

(and i don't mean Dmg over time ;) )

added info for those who wish to know more :

SOS.
Morse code officially went out of use February 1, 1999 for most ships in distress at sea.

The International Maritime Organization set February 1 as its target date to replace dots and dashes with a satellite system, the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System, that can pinpoint the location of a ship signaling for help.

The new system is mandatory for all international freighters over 300 gross tons, all passenger vessels and self-propelled oil drilling units. Coastal freighters, most fishing boats and pleasure craft are exempt.

However, Lloyd's List, a maritime industry newspaper published in London, estimated in December that a quarter or more of the world's ships still had not been fitted with the necessary equipment; which costs a minimum of $30,000.

YAWN ! ;)

So does this mean we should use sos anymore in chat ?

B

baphomet

I find Soz annnoying, so I use Sry instead, it seems more logical.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

I find sry annoying - I don't see why people have such a problem with vowels.

Soz is a genuine slang word - people do say it IRL. It's not like plz or thx. It's much the same as using 'ta' instead of saying 'thankyou', or 'hi' instead of 'hello'.

B

baphomet

Originally posted by old.Trine Aquavit
I find sry annoying - I don't see why people have such a problem with vowels.

Because it's a convenient, easily understandable abbreviation.
Since you're playing a real time game, the less time you spend typing messages and the more time you spend playing the game the better.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

It takes less effort on the part of the writer & more effort on the part of the reader. Personally, I like it when people make the (pretty insignificant) effort to type a couple of extra vowels. But then I'm one of those freaks that uses capital letters and punctuation.

Since you're playing a multi-player on-line game, effort spent in communicating is never wasted.

But I guess we can agree to differ ;)

B

baphomet

Originally posted by old.Trine Aquavit
It takes less effort on the part of the writer & more effort on the part of the reader. Personally, I like it when people make the (pretty insignificant) effort to type a couple of extra vowels. But then I'm one of those freaks that uses capital letters and punctuation.

Well, it's all about setting limits on how far you should go with abbreviating.
If it goes so far that you gotta sit there and decipher the text, then it's a problem.
But honestly, is it really that hard to work out what most of the abbreviations mean?

Since you're playing a multi-player on-line game, effort spent in communicating is never wasted.
When you're a group leader and you're getting polled by ppl (oops I abbreviated) wanting to join and you're in teh middle of a combat, I think just quickly typing "sry full" is faster.
There's lots of other reasonable examples of where abbreviations are completely OK and timesavers.

But I guess we can agree to differ ;)
Yeah we can, I'm not gonna declare a jihad over it..;)

O

old.Gombur Glodson

mud-liz-man1.JPG

"Guuuuaaaarrr"

T

tripitaka

The first kitten there is trying to shit - the second looks like it never will, by the already huge size being a kitten n all.

O

old.Niljindil

Originally posted by tripitaka
The first kitten there is trying to shit - the second looks like it never will, by the already huge size being a kitten n all.

Youre a very mean person you know that?

T

tripitaka

quite possibly ;)

Only the one lump of coal for you this christmas then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom