Soo, Uni firewalls !

Tilda

Well, i'm sure some % of the daoc population is going off to uni in a few weeks/months time. I'm also aware that different Uni's have different policies on net-gaming.
My initial question is, is there anybody at Southampton uni who knows what their fire wall is like.
My second idea, would be that everybody at a uni, posts here saying their uni name, and how the firewall is, so that people going to different uni's could just check here to see if they'll be able to play!

Tilda

living

Fledgling Freddie
ya and lets assume we dont all live where you do and say that too :>

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
The campus wide network at Nottingham University was installed during my second year there. After paying a small subscription fee, the service was free and open for you to use as you wished (within the bounds of a CoC, of course).

The year after I left, they closed a lot of ports and put heavy restrictions on what the service could be used for due to the amount of network traffic associated with work/study having been around 2%... :eek7:

ABD

Fledgling Freddie
Went to Southampton institute, first year in halls installed net had a harsh fw on it (only web/ftp(21)/nntp(which i asked for :eek: ).

Managed to play DAoC tho, had a m8 set up like a proxy server thing and used a program (sorry cant remember the name now :x ) pointed it at daoc.exe and ran it through that just fine.

Unfortunately quake didnt work. UO did tho.

M8 at the uni did tell me what his net was like at halls but again something i forgot :p

what was this post about again? :eek:

/helpful

inviteme

Fledgling Freddie
Most networks are setup with 1 part invisible (users who dont know what they are doing, and only have a local IP adr) and 1 part visible (users who know what they are doing and have an outside IP).

Im guessing most people that encounter problems are in the first category, what you can do is:
1) Tell your network admin to open the daoc port, or else...!
2) bounce your trafic thru a comp with a "real" IP, and use any port not blocked to get it thru to your comp, where you direct them to the correct app. I know it wasnt hard to find generic bouncer source to modify for this purpose a year or too ago, and if you have computer students at your uni just ask in their forum :).
3) become a member of the second category, if you dont know anything about networking and need to state some reasons make sure you lie.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i went to lincoln university where in the first and second years we had dedicated games rooms for playing online games,

Then when i went in to use the 3d modelling machine it took me 30 minutes of removing every single p2p spamwarez software that the whole network got clamped.

The sad thing is was the people coming in setting 300 downloads going home coming back before closing and burning the lot to cd. However when i came across one of these machiens i normally reset them removed the software and left a little note in the directory explaining if i caught them at it i would get their access removed.

In the end people abuse networks.

inviteme

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
i went to lincoln university where in the first and second years we had dedicated games rooms for playing online games,

Then when i went in to use the 3d modelling machine it took me 30 minutes of removing every single p2p spamwarez software that the whole network got clamped.

The sad thing is was the people coming in setting 300 downloads going home coming back before closing and burning the lot to cd. However when i came across one of these machiens i normally reset them removed the software and left a little note in the directory explaining if i caught them at it i would get their access removed.

In the end people abuse networks.

In my dorm they have a quota system so that you cant have more than 10G traffic/day

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
inviteme said:
In my dorm they have a quota system so that you cant have more than 10G traffic/day

10 gig traffic..... A DAY!?!?!? my ISP starts to complain if i exeeds 3 gig a day... and i dont have a quota....

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
just fyi

reading uni network (which is now wired into halls for a small termly charge (afaik £50 or so) has no problem playing games on the net inc daoc and even using p2p programs.

and as far as i know theres no b/w limit either but theres probably a 'reasonable use' policy like i heard one guy was downloading 24/7 for like 2 months and they told him to stop.

nice speeds, useually like 500k/sec peak time, up to 5-6meg/sec offpeak

Chilly

Balls of steel
Moo said:
just fyi

reading uni network (which is now wired into halls for a small termly charge (afaik £50 or so) has no problem playing games on the net inc daoc and even using p2p programs.

and as far as i know theres no b/w limit either but theres probably a 'reasonable use' policy like i heard one guy was downloading 24/7 for like 2 months and they told him to stop.

nice speeds, useually like 500k/sec peak time, up to 5-6meg/sec offpeak
the student village halls at reading have 512kbit connection DSL type connections into every room, no bw limit, well i never got told off and i must have DLd about 500gig while i was there.

not all p2p programs worked, some did some didnt, kaza didnt, soulseek did etc.. just depended how they were setup and what ports they used. externally ALL ports are closed so you cannot host anything, cant even DCC files over irc from a computer behind the FW - i tried many times, you can recieve DCC files though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom