Something Awful?

N

Nightchill

Used to like Something Awful. Then I realised it was utter shite. 'Nuff said :)

O

old.Foldroll

Many races and characters are not consistent with the "Dungeons and Dragons Universe," as seen in such games as Rifts, Jorune, and the movie "Dungeons and Dragons."

Sorry to be an RPG anorak, but...

What is this tosh?

Rifts and Jorune are nothing like Dungeons and Dragons. Completely different settings, and rules sets. Just happen to be role playing games thats all.

And lets face it, Dungeons and Dragons the movie is hardly consistent with the game!

Also the review states that it is the first game to use the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules. That may be true, except for Baldurs Gate 1&2, Torment, and Icewind Dale, and the fact that it uses the Dungoens and Dragons 3rd Edition rules set, which is quite different.

I would continue, but the whole review has been written by an uninformed idiot, who appears no know very little about the pen and paper game he is (badly) comparing it to, and appears to have spent very little time actually looking at the computer game being reviewed.

The reviewer obviously has an axe (battleaxe +1???) to grind, and I wonder if he was bullied by roleplayers as a child?

L

Louster

Originally posted by Nightchill
Used to like Something Awful. Then I realised it was utter shite. 'Nuff said :)

That's the point, silly.
Apart from the fact that it isn't as funny as it used to be, and all the writers try to emulate Lowtax, and stuff.

N

Nightchill

Originally posted by old.Louster

That's the point, silly.
Apart from the fact that it isn't as funny as it used to be, and all the writers try to emulate Lowtax, and stuff.

Sort of what I meant :) I didn't mean the article in particular (since it was clearly a piss take). Just Something Awful in general. It used to be funny (ICQ pranks in particular) but now, well, can't it retire gracefully? :)

D

Danya

Dissapointing review, was hoping for something witty and cool, but it just came off as a tired attempt at humourous DS/D2 comparisons. Didn't really work, not funny, just tedious.

L

Louster

Right but if they made it obviously funny then people wouldn't send flame mail.

S

Sar

Problem was it wasn't even funny.

In order to do a funny review you have to know your subject matter so you can take the piss, whoever reviewed it here failed on the first part of that, and subsequently the second part.

He keeps mentioning that "Atari did this with the game" and "Atari did that with the game" or "Atari didn't do this with the game", but the arse doesn't realise Bioware developed it, Atari merely published it.

And there's a tonne of other inaccuracies I won't even bother with.

:rolleyes:

L

Louster

Haaa did any of you even read the bit where they introduced TruthMedia? It seems not.

L

Louster

Wait no what I meant to say was - you're absolutely right. You should definitely mail him and point out all the errors so he can correct them.

X

xane

Yeah SA has definitely gone downhill, in the past they had wind-ups that were go unbelievable you just had to chuckle at how people could be taken in by them in the first place, but these just are not in the same league. The joke is just too tired and old, maybe one review would have been funny, but even reading the "flames" is boring, something I'd never have expect from SA.

One point is that they still concentrate on "geeky" stuff, like music from cult bands, sci-fi and games, as if this offers a better class of moron to try and flame them. Why not try a flamebait review on a new motorbike, snowboard or piece of hi-fi, for example.

The sheer intensity that some people exhibit while defending whatever silly movie or band just boggles our minds, so this section of the site was created to prey upon these people's idiocy and use it for our own personal amusement. [...] We plan on continuing to do this until America realizes that we're not defined by the music, movies, and products we buy

As I said, why stop at "media" products, this even applies to kitchen equipment and nightclubs.

L

Louster

I guess because peoply into geeky things are more likely to be using the internet?
But yes, it does seem as if the whole Truth Media thing is designed solely to be depressing and/or boosting to the self-esteem of the people in on the joke, depending on your general attitude towards humanity.

S

Sar

Ahh, so that's what SA is resorting to nowadays?

:(

It should'a been left to die. Better to go out when you're still good.

K

*Kornholio*

If you wanted a great story, you'd buy Final Fantasy for the Gamecube.

I never bothered reading any further than that... was it meant to be funny ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom