Some Xbox help please

G

GDW

Ive just bought a virgin Xbox and was looking to chip it. Ive done the google search thang and am a bit bewildered. Any of you nice chaps point a consol newbie in the right direction please?

O

old.UKTwister

Yeh I'd like to know how to run MAME on there ..

O

Ono

What exactly do you want to know?

Basically I recommend getting any normal 80gig or 120gig HDD and fitting this along with an X-ecutor 2.2 Lite chip to your XBrick.

I got someone to do it for me and it cost (excluding postage to and from) £65 all in (you buy the HDD).

The chipper should install the latest eVox operating system to your XB containing various apps for copying games to your new HDD, playing multiregion DVDs, XB Media player and lots more.

As for MAME (and all the other top class emus) I just got them on a DVDR from a supplier and just loaded then onto the XB HDD like any other game.

Pretty straight forward.

Now if only they would release some decent games on the thing. :/

L

lovedaddy

right

First off try and find out what version of the xbox you've got.

www.xbox-scene.com -> forums and then faq.

Then time to pick a chip. It might be worth trying to hold on a month or two, cos I've got a feeling we are going to see the next gen of chips sometime real soon.
The latest X2 bios (just released the other day), has an ftp server built in (normally this is handled by the EvoX dashboard). I think we are going to start seeing bois files released that can do most of the things that your regular dash can do.

Anyhow, if you want one now, I'd suggest the Executer 2.x pro. The pros come with a serial link so you can flash the latest bios, and have upto 1 meg banks. Personally, I liked the pro 2 best (the 2.2s were WAY too fiddly to fit for my liking).

www.baldbouncer.co.uk

Is a good place to get them from, I've ordered about 30 now, and they have always been spot on.

Fitting it really aint that difficult, anyone with GCSE or better electronics skills shouldn't have too much trouble (aint anywhere close to as tricky as the PS or PS2 uns). I've done about 20 now without a single fuck up.

As for Mame, goto dalnet IRC, and join a channel called #xbins. Theres a bot on there that will give you an ftp address to recompiled xbes. (xbe = xbox exe's). Most of the people that develope apps for the xbox will dish out the source happy, but to compile the source requires Microsofts XDK, which is illegal to use without a licence. (and illegal to distrubute compiled sources).
Look on the FTP for MameoX (mame on xbox).

Either throw it on your xbox, or on a CDR/DVDR etc.

Anything else you want to know, give me a shout.

N

nath

The pro chip is totally unnecessary. A lite will do everything you need. I guarantee you won't need a 1mb bios and you can flash the chip from an evox dashboard.

Baldbouncer is the best place to get them, and they're piss to fit, although I've heard that the 2.2 lite is a pain in the arse compared to the others so try any other 2.x xecutor lite.

You may not even need a new hard drive for your xbox, but it's up to you. I decided to get a DVD-r drive because I'd use it for other things too. That way you can play backups from dvd-r rather than have to copy your legitimately bought games on to the hard disk. Having them on the hdd does make them load faster mind, I just felt it made it more limited. Bare in mind that the standard xbox hard drive is 8gbs. If you're getting a DVD-r then 8gbs is more than enough for all the apps you could ever need.

Apps are easily uploaded to your xbox via the FTP that evox comes with as standard.

Message me on irc (I'm on as nath or sometimes nafe) on quakenet and I can tell you about some other things that perhaps should not be talked about here.

L

lovedaddy

Originally posted by nath
The pro chip is totally unnecessary. A lite will do everything you need. I guarantee you won't need a 1mb bios and you can flash the chip from an evox dashboard.

For the extra 5/10 quid I'd definetly recommend getting the pro. The latest X2 bios doesn't work with the lites for starters, plus you'd need a 1meg bank if you wanted to flash your xbox with a debug bois (needed if you want to do any kind of dev stuff on your xbox).

L

lovedaddy

Compile xbmp, emus etc. Its a nice option to have.

For another tenner you get a lot more stuff. Like I say, if the latest X2 bios is anything to go by, 1 meg bios files are going to be more common. (tho they have said they are going to try and get it to 512k).

G

GDW

Sweet, thanks for the help. Im maybe going to hold off a month or two incase a new chip comes out. The reason why I want to chip it is just to play imports and play games from backups. I doubt ill have the time to do anything much more complicated than that.

Y

Yaka

Originally posted by nath
they're piss to fit,

aye they are as long as yer dont be daft an melt a blob of solder tring to do nifty T2 esque effects over the xbox mainboard.

i now frem experiance yer can kill it that way.:puke:

N

nath

Well.. I didn't do mine I got my dad to do it. He aer teh inventar!

Mine went mostly without a hitch.. of course when I got him to do my mates one to a resistor fell off due to a shakey solder hand. To this day I have no idea what it was there for but the xbox still works :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom