Some rebooting problems

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
Hey,

A month ago my pc started to reboot a couple of times when i started it up. It started with once to a couple of times. After that couple of times rebooting he would be prerfectly ok, doing everything ya need and all. I noticed the HD ticking a lot so calling the store, he saying my hd is to hell. I brought my pc in to the store (also to get some other little things fixed.) I got my pc back witha new hd past friday, funny thing is the moment everything is connected the darn thing rebooted again (twice). Now it keep doing this everyday and when the rebooting is done i got my pc in top shape. Now, Does any1 has any clue to what could be the cause for the rebooting?

Mostly my pc makes it to my desktop, then a min or so later to reboot. then he can reboot a couple of times before even reaching the desktop and somethimes u get a window in between the rebooting asking if you wanne start windows in certain modes (normal, save, ect).

Tx in advance for any advice
vav.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Rebooting can be faulty or insufficient power supply.

Check temperature and gfx card drivers though...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Could be something else going on and Windows' auto restart is hiding it instead of giving you an error message. Turn off auto restart and see if it gives you an error message next time it happens instead of just restarting again.

To turn off auto restart:

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup And Recovery/Settings

Untick Automatically Restart in here, apply the change, see what you get next time it happens.

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Rebooting can be faulty or insufficient power supply.

rebooting w/o any error messages or bsod means usually what boni said

Arquest

Fledgling Freddie
Ok now lets see reasons of rebboting according to my 4 years experience in internet stores..

As i consider them more often and as u say ur machine reboots almost instantly.

1. MOST COMMON is memory malfunction
This can be caused by either bad memory sticks or if u use different memories meaning their Mhz or their CL tuning times. Might also be malfuction on memory sticks on motherboard but very rarely. I would recomment try operate ur machine with one memory stick then with another and see if it reboots. also swap their slots. Cost 40euros aprox to buy a new memory (if lucky u got life warranty memories)

2. Power supply malfunction. Very often failure is caused by the power supply. U can try replace it. However if u have unstable home power supply (which is hard to measure then good luck) But if in the past u didnt had any problems in home then i assume its pc power supply , also easy to change. Cost 60 euro for a Herolci (i think thats the name) brand new top quality power supply.

3. Graphic card problems. Now this is hard to test by ur self. Dont know if its nvidia or ati and if ati if u have enabled vpu recovery however its almost impossible to boot a pc and directly rebbot due to bugged graphic card. Might though be the case and the cost is up to the choice u make for replacement.

4. Most tricky part here .... Motherboard failure. Now that can be the following. Bad Pci slot for ur graphic card (if old AGP) or bad memory slots as also mentioned in step 1. Cant check by urself only if u have spare motherboard.

5 WORST CASE SENARIO. CPU problem. well section speaks by itself no comments

Hope i helped my estimation is u have memory problem or need to buy power supply. Easy to test memories.

Good luck

Denarius

Loyal Freddie
vavvi, i had some problem m8, for me it was memory, 1 stick was dodgy, if you can get 2 sticks of same make, crucial memory is great, no problems here now :) xx

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
Hey guys,

Tx for all advice, tho im not sure any of those are it, i just finished a Memory diagnostic test what came out without errors.

Im gone repeat a key line what is the weirdest in my problem.

The problem occurs when booting the pc up, whenever he gets running he runs good, without troubles. Therefor i dont see how it can be just something as u suggested. Like before i turned the pc on this evening, he restarted 3times before seeing desktop, then i gota blue screen, i restarted out of that, into a systemcontrol, to be followed by a new blue screen and automatic reboot. After that reboot everything worked and i got not less then 14 Error messages saying, ure system has been restored from a serious fault (systeem is hersteld van een ernstige fout (dutch)).
thats how i got to the memory diagnostic test. I dont know at all what the problem is with it, and i afraid the guy from the store won't know it as well...

If u could help me further... Tx in advance.
Vav.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Checked your power supply / power consumption yet? Still sounds like PSU to me.

Are all your messages the same. If there was any different information other than 'systeem is hersteld van een ernstige fout' please post it (with english translation) even if it makes no sense to you.

The 'systeem is hersteld van een ernstige fout' is just windows way of saying 'This PC crashed while starting up', and doesnt tell us anything we didnt know unfortunalty.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
vav,

if your PC has been on for a long time and then you restart it, does it still get stuck in a reboot loop or does it work immediately? What I mean is, do you turn you PC on in the morning and have to watch it restart two or three times before it works, then if you restart it at dinner time after it's been on for some hours, does it still reboot or does it start and work right away?

If it's working right away after a manual reboot once it's been on for a few hours, then something is heating up and making proper contact that was previously intermittent (as warm things tend to expand and solidify their contact with surrounding surfaces). I've had this once before and it turned out to be a loose component that wasn't quite "tight" until it'd warmed up.

If this sounds right, best thing to do (if you're ok taking bits out of your PC) is simply remove each component and replace it so you're sure it's nice and snug. Even a loose IDE cable or a loose sound card will make a PC reboot under the right circumstances.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
im with the PSU being Faulty/underpowered as well, had it happen a few times, whilst from a cold start i would have errors, crashes, once the unit was warmed up it coped better with the demand of the PC and ran perfectly, soon as i changed PSU all was well.

Suggest taking a serious look towards the PSU as boni suggested.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
How many USB devices do you have connected? Try running it with them all disconnected, see if that makes any difference...maybe try a powered USB hub...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom