Some questions now NDA is gone..

Liffster

Fledgling Freddie
Hey there, have simply tons of questions to ask mostly rvr or class specific.. I've downloaded the player guide that I found on warhammer alliance, tho didn't find answers to most of my questions there. Would appreciate it if some of the guys in Beta could help out here.

In daoc I played a hero for most of my time in the game. One aspect of rvr I found really tiresome with that class was defending keeps. Basically we had very little to do until the gates were breached. Thats unless u fancied guarding a ranged dps on the battlements from ranged projectiles, or had siegecrafting skill to make catapults etc. Im happy that the war system requires no skill for use of ballistas etc, but the game mechanics open up one big question for me regarding defending keeps.

Classes like for example warrior priest need to be attacking in melee for righteous rage, in order to use their heals.. lets say a couple of groups are defending a keep which is under attack. The ranged dps in these groups go to the battlements to harass the attackers trying to break down the gates. These guys are in turn getting attacked by the attacking factions ranged dps and their ballistas and catapults. In this instance how are melee healers supposed to be able to heal the defenders if they are out of melee range of the attackers?

Can some classes scale keep walls like in daoc?

Class specific questions:

White Lion:
1. Are there any pathing issues with the war lion pets?
2. If the pet is set to attack a target that runs away, will the pet despawn after it exceeds a certain distance from its master?
3. Are the pets effective when set against seperate targets, ie healers, and do they get their own attacks (similar to wow hunter pets) are they much use at interuppting?

Witch Hunter:
1. I understand from reading warhammer alliance that witch hunters get stealth. Is it just pve fluff, or is it truly effective in rvr, and is it easily removed by enemies? (EQ2 see stealth totems etc)

Archmage:
1. Does this class have any real defences against melee dps, (wow frost nova) any snares etc to help keep stuff at range?
2. Are the archmages healing abilities equal to that of the melee healing classes all things being equal? (path choice, equipment, level etc)

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I've not seen an official statement saying the NDA is lifted yet.

peo

Fledgling Freddie
It isn't gone until mythic states it is gone which they havn't.

rynnor

Rockhound

I seem to remember a while back that this was stated as a no in one of the vids - also theres no ladders in the keeps just a slope to link the ground floor with the ramparts so I guess they were pretty anti-climbing :)

Edit - I reckon Runepriests will be best for sieges.

Stderr

Fledgling Freddie
Hey there, have simply tons of questions to ask mostly rvr or class specific.. I've downloaded the player guide that I found on warhammer alliance, tho didn't find answers to most of my questions there. Would appreciate it if some of the guys in Beta could help out here.

In daoc I played a hero for most of my time in the game. One aspect of rvr I found really tiresome with that class was defending keeps. Basically we had very little to do until the gates were breached. Thats unless u fancied guarding a ranged dps on the battlements from ranged projectiles, or had siegecrafting skill to make catapults etc. Im happy that the war system requires no skill for use of ballistas etc, but the game mechanics open up one big question for me regarding defending keeps.

Classes like for example warrior priest need to be attacking in melee for righteous rage, in order to use their heals.. lets say a couple of groups are defending a keep which is under attack. The ranged dps in these groups go to the battlements to harass the attackers trying to break down the gates. These guys are in turn getting attacked by the attacking factions ranged dps and their ballistas and catapults. In this instance how are melee healers supposed to be able to heal the defenders if they are out of melee range of the attackers?

Class specific questions:

White Lion:
2. If the pet is set to attack a target that runs away, will the pet despawn after it exceeds a certain distance from its master?
3. Are the pets effective when set against seperate targets, ie healers, and do they get their own attacks (similar to wow hunter pets) are they much use at interuppting?

Witch Hunter:
1. I understand from reading warhammer alliance that witch hunters get stealth. Is it just pve fluff, or is it truly effective in rvr, and is it easily removed by enemies? (EQ2 see stealth totems etc)

Archmage:
1. Does this class have any real defences against melee dps, (wow frost nova) any snares etc to help keep stuff at range?
2. Are the archmages healing abilities equal to that of the melee healing classes all things being equal? (path choice, equipment, level etc)

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Well, NDA lifted..

No one can climb keep walls. (as a side note keeps have small "side-doors" besides the main door that cannot be taken down).

DoKs and WPs have a skill to replenish RF/SP: channeling over 5 secs (I think) will give you something along 150-200 RF/SP (max is 250).
It has a fairly small cooldown.
It's of no real use in actual combat since you cannot attack/move while using.

Witch Hunter:
Witch Hunter (and Witch Elf) can stealth for a short time which slowly drains AP. It does have it's uses in RvR to take out cloth wearers too far from main group.

I cannot answer White Lion questions, since I've never played one.

Archmage:
1) Archmage have a knockback skill at ~15 secs cooldown. It has worked fine for me.
2) Archmages have better healing than Melee healers.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
H

White Lion:

[

1.To say it short,it's really awful right now.
2. It will
3. They get their own skills,but they really can't kill anything alone.They more like annoyance to the healer.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Archmages if specced for it are the best "spike" healers - they can heal large amounts of damage quickly. (combine the instacast damage shield with some specced large heals, especially if you've built up some high magic by nuking first)

I think Warrior Priests have better group heals, but I could be wrong (not really played a warrior priest).

If you have a tonne of people beating on the archmage he'll not heal nearly as well as a warrior priest in the same situation though :)

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Archmages if specced for it are the best "spike" healers - they can heal large amounts of damage quickly. (combine the instacast damage shield with some specced large heals, especially if you've built up some high magic by nuking first)

Although this is true, in practice if you are mostly healing you won't take time to cast 5 nukes/dots just to get your next heal to be insta. So it's not so much the high magic mechanic that makes them good single target healers -- although it's a bonus emergency heal if you are mostly nuking.

They do have some awesome big heals as morale abilities as well as the big slow cast and various stuff you can spec for (like a lifetap nuke which also heals your defensive target and a good channelled single target heal).

Aada

Part of the furniture
Kinda put off about the White Lion sucking balls on pet pathing hopefully it will be fixed.

Tilda

My experiences are different. There are some areas where its pants, but 90% of the time its totally fine.
Mythic really have been very good at listening to feedback. If you post a bug report saying "pet pathing at this location in xyz zone is aweful" you'll usually see a line in the next patch notes about it being improved.

Remember folks, theres still about a month to go before release! Thats atleast 4-5 patches at mythics current speed.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie

Ever played as DPS spec?

I was testing around and it seems that Shaman get's more powerfull defensive power "EEK!" than Archmages and also do more damage according to spell tooltips.

Althought Archmage do get that spirit debuff,does that close the gap?

Aada

Part of the furniture
My experiences are different. There are some areas where its pants, but 90% of the time its totally fine.
Mythic really have been very good at listening to feedback. If you post a bug report saying "pet pathing at this location in xyz zone is aweful" you'll usually see a line in the next patch notes about it being improved.

Remember folks, theres still about a month to go before release! Thats atleast 4-5 patches at mythics current speed.

Yeah i guess.

Thanks to you and all the other beta testers here who have given us a shit load of info :)

Glad we have a small forum.

Edit: just watching a video now of a guy outside a keep omg they look fucking HUGE!!!!

Edit2: Would you say the game handles more like LOTRO? coz from what i have seen the graphics look pretty much identical to that.

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
About the white lion:

(1) I have about 20 hours of white lion played, half on lvl 1-12 and half on lvl 31-32 and I can't complain too much about it's pathing. Some places seems to be a bit tricky, inside keeps with several floors close on top of each other gives the lion problems now and then. Most of the time the lion goes where I want it to, when I want it.

(2) yes, if it runs too far, or if you leave it to distract an opponent while you run it will despawn eventually.

(3) In PvE the lion can usually kill one equal lvl mob by itself without dying. Wich mostly means I dare leave my computer for short whiles, even outside "safe zones", with my pet on "defensive".

A white lion that eats on a caster/healer will be a serious distraction for them. Not quite as much as if a melee-character was there, but still noticable.

The lion has indeed got it's own attacks. You can shift it between three "stances" according to the mastery paths: Axeman (lion tank, you hurt stuff from behind), Guardian (you tank, lion hurts stuff) and Hunter (AoE-effects, debuffs and utility) Each stance gives the lion three different "special attacks" and some buffs to you and your lion. Check out more at:
White Lion - Actions - WARDB

The white lion is a very clever melee class with a lot of options.

Aada

Part of the furniture
About the white lion:

(1) I have about 20 hours of white lion played, half on lvl 1-12 and half on lvl 31-32 and I can't complain too much about it's pathing. Some places seems to be a bit tricky, inside keeps with several floors close on top of each other gives the lion problems now and then. Most of the time the lion goes where I want it to, when I want it.

(2) yes, if it runs too far, or if you leave it to distract an opponent while you run it will despawn eventually.

(3) In PvE the lion can usually kill one equal lvl mob by itself without dying. Wich mostly means I dare leave my computer for short whiles, even outside "safe zones", with my pet on "defensive".

A white lion that eats on a caster/healer will be a serious distraction for them. Not quite as much as if a melee-character was there, but still noticable.

The lion has indeed got it's own attacks. You can shift it between three "stances" according to the mastery paths: Axeman (lion tank, you hurt stuff from behind), Guardian (you tank, lion hurts stuff) and Hunter (AoE-effects, debuffs and utility) Each stance gives the lion three different "special attacks" and some buffs to you and your lion. Check out more at:
White Lion - Actions - WARDB

The white lion is a very clever melee class with a lot of options.

Thanks for the info.

Do the white lion class only able to carry the big helberd axes or can you use swords?

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the info.

Do the white lion class only able to carry the big helberd axes or can you use swords?

Actually... I don't know. I love the look of the axes so much so I have never really thought about it :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Actually... I don't know. I love the look of the axes so much so I have never really thought about it :)

Have you done much solo PVP yet with it?

Any classes in particular that you like to hunt down? :)

Any that totally destroy you? lol

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
No solo PvP done really. I mostly duo with my boyfriend who plays an Archmage, so I've got a pet healer (pun intended). Sometimes we join bigger groups as well, and based on my experiences I'll do some reflections:

I have some trouble with tanking classes, since most of my damage is melee and physical.

I love killing casters/healers because they have big trouble snaring both me and my pet. Lion in defensive stance have a snare ability that is very useful, together with serious survivability. Also, depending on my specc it's either me or my lion that is the dangerous one, so I'll have a possible tactical advantage there.

Aada

Part of the furniture
No solo PvP done really. I mostly duo with my boyfriend who plays an Archmage, so I've got a pet healer (pun intended). Sometimes we join bigger groups as well, and based on my experiences I'll do some reflections:

I have some trouble with tanking classes, since most of my damage is melee and physical.

I love killing casters/healers because they have big trouble snaring both me and my pet. Lion in defensive stance have a snare ability that is very useful, together with serious survivability. Also, depending on my specc it's either me or my lion that is the dangerous one, so I'll have a possible tactical advantage there.

Sounds good thanks for the info.

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved

Rune priests (and Zealots) are supposed to be the ones that can spec for best spike healing. Archmages/Shamans are much better spike healers than WPs/DoKs though, much better.

Warrior Priests are supposed to be the best group healers but in my experience so far, Archmage/Shaman does a better job of group healing.

The whole RF/SE mechanic of the WP/DoK really hurts their group healing abilities, spending as much time trying to generate healing power as they do healing. Shaman/Archmage are AP healers, and whilst their group heal takes a second longer to cast, they can heal more before they run out of AP and only have to wait a few seconds to have enough AP to cast another heal. WP/DoK however have to supplicate/offer blood to regenerate healing power (which is on a cooldown, longer than you need to use it, AND requires that you have enough AP to convert, so you have to wait for both cooldown and AP before you can use it successfully, and takes 5 seconds to complete, which can add up to 10s where you cant heal, meanwhile your group is dieing) OR you need to be hitting on stuff alot, which takes too much time away from their group healing tasks, as it requires alot of hits to build up your RF/SE pool.

WP/DoKs do get a few nice group abilities (group sheild, group hot) but I am not sure they make up for the problems keeping your RF/SE pool up.

Whilst WP/DoKs can heal while being hit on by multiples, we cant heal ourselves out of trouble because our single target heal is interrupted too easily and our castable heals are too low hps - although we can heal the tank/dps while we receive heals from the AP healers (who are presumably being left alone while your being beat on).

A WP/DoK becomes a decent spike healer when they are left alone (not being hit) as their mele based heal can heal a single target for a very large amount. So if your AP healers can keep the WP/DoK alive while they are being hit so that DPS focus switches away from them, then the WP/DoK becomes a decent spike healer and ok group healer.

WP/DoK bring some nice group buffs to a group though.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Rune priests (and Zealots) are supposed to be the ones that can spec for best spike healing. Archmages/Shamans are much better spike healers than WPs/DoKs though, much better.

Nah, RP/Zealot are the "flex" healers - all three lines improve their healing (and some type of damage) while Archmages/Shaman have a choice: Spike healing, damage or debuffs.

That said RP/Zealot have a spike healing line and I've not run the numbers comparing an Isha spec archmage to a Grungni spec RP.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
At the moment I feel the Shaman and Archmage are better than Zealot and Runepriest in almost everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom