Some Priest help pls...(again I know sorry)

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
A couple of questions from you guys who've played Beta if possible. I'm not going to have time to play Beta so I'd like some tips if you can.

I'd like to play a Priest in the release version. I'd like to do more than simply buff/heal spec like a DaoC Druid/Cleric is generally expected to do. I'd a either a limited amount of CC and/or some attacking/tactical/debuffing options to give me both more versatility and also something to do in a PvP fight besides spamming heals about. In short I don't want a character whose main purpose in the game is just watching hitpoint bars and click a heal spell when needed.

In DaoC terms the closest thing I've played would be a pac/mend healer with something like a 4x pac and 2x heal. Can anyone suggest a decent build for PvP (I've little intention to solo - when I play a support class I expect in return to be supported by my group!)

Any help would be appreciated :)

(btw looking for decent organised-ish PvP based guild who don't mind their Healer type having fairly limited /play time to hit 60 and prolly fairly limited PvP grouping time as well. If you can cope with a fairly irregular healer type I'm going to be available from release. I don't want/expect PL and a larger guild that will be fielding 2+ groups would suit me better than a smaller guild who would demand more attendance than I can freely give.)

anubis

Fledgling Freddie
priests in wow dont do cc, except for gimp 8 sec pbae fear

best advice for you is to go full shadow (good dmg dealing tree) and drop some in either holy (healing tree) or discipline (support tree)

will be like prenerfed smite cleric (if you still remmber what was it :D)
you will solo well and will be welcome in groups

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Hiho Deepfat :wub:

Only done PvP 3 or 4 times (usually on the end of a ganking) but I have PvEd to 20 so I know a tiny bit :D

Having played DAOC healer/cleric and friar I can say that priests are more fun than all those put together. Of course there's no real CC as stated above (though fear is useful), but as a shadow priest your damage is so good I have had no problem soloing to 20.

You don't mention whether you are going PvP server or PvE.

Im trying shammy atm and will have a go at the others before retail but priest is good so far. The class is not a buffbot (buffs are spread amongst classes) I hardly use smite but they have a nice DOT and DD.

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
Pre-nerf smite cleric sounds like a giggle! Not so bothered with CC like I said I just don't want to buff a bunch of people who won't stand still for it then end up healing the same bunch of people who won't protect you like so many Druids/Clerics end up doing in DaoC!

I think a Shadow/Healing build would suit me best and give nice attack & defence bonuses. Buffs are pretty dull and always seemed a less fun than the smite/nature lines in DaoC.

Thx for the replies and the help guys - much appreciated I better go find me a decent build @ lvl 60 :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Priests get Shackle Undead at 22, a handy tool for keeping undead mobs in their place for 20 seconds or so.

So far (Almost level 26), being a priest has 3 different modes in PvE:
Soloing - Killing mobs faster than warriors, with less downtime. Priests pack some serious punch.
Non-instanced grouping - Killing mobs for quests, etc... Damage mode, healing occasionaly, keeping everyone buffed.
Instanced grouping - Apply damage over time, and then wack a mole healthbar until instance is over, Magic Wand for some damage when no one needs healing.

PvP - It's heal, then mindflay to prevent enemies running away... or it's charge into enemy, use fear, and then leg it.

Edit, you posted just as I did - priests get one buff, maybe 2 if they spec holy, and they are both instant cast afaik

:)

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Shackle undead is 20

Deepfat, no need to worry about buffing runners - it's an insta :clap:

Also, don't worry about people leaving you to your own devices - just PW shield (absorb and kinda MOC) and let em die :)

I suspect the best way to go is shadow/disc with perhaps a holy respec if they improve the talent line but the essential 'spec' is the same for all priests - I believe a shadow priest can heal pretty much as good as a holy priest (waits for flames)

There's a discussion about the best weapon too, and you mention wand which I prefer as it's ranged, costs no manner and is very responsive. One question though - is there such a thing as an epic wand anyone?

Edit: Oh and Deepfat check your Inbox

anubis

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
Edit, you posted just as I did - priests get one buff, maybe 2 if they spec holy, and they are both instant cast afaik

:)

but it takes ~2 mana bars to buff 5 people
unless you find group buff spell but it's kinda rare

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
buffing aint slow, u can get mana back very fast and u can buff while moving

so do buff's when u r moving to the point, no downtime

and priest with alch or acces to that can have tons of pots and it helps

pots, priest / warrior duo can do anything at the start with 0 downtime.

hunter/shammy duo also good

those what i have tried.

hunter/hunter is also ok, but cant do easy higher lvl mobs .

and what goes for elite quests if u wanna get xp and solve them and get also some benefit for them, go there in group of 5. if u dont, delete the quests they boring to solo when u r high enough.

anubis

Fledgling Freddie
Fin said:
buffing aint slow, u can get mana back very fast and u can buff while moving

so do buff's when u r moving to the point, no downtime

and priest with alch or acces to that can have tons of pots and it helps
at low levels yes, you basically dont have any downtime, everything is fast
but it takes 1+ minute of drinking to regenerate 7+k mana at lvl 60 (highest bottle regenerates 3k mana over 30 sec or so)

top alchemy mana pots are hard to get
a) recipe is rare drop from scholomance (60-62 elite dung), you can buy it from vendors though but you have to complete scholomance (quite hard with 5 ppl, and you cant get credit with more than that)
b) you will need relatively rare herbs to make it

so advice to priests - if you see group buff on AH even for 100+ g buy it, it will save you a lot later

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
and yes, every1 has group buffs later on, cant be so impossible to get =9

Lythande

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Priests have Silence if specced for the Talent.

As do mages in a way with improved Counterspell.
Really? I wouldn't know after playing priest in US Korea and EU betas to 50+....

What's wrong is the assumption that it'll help against paladins(atleast more than against any other spellcasting class).

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Lythande said:
Really? I wouldn't know after playing priest in US Korea and EU betas to 50+....
/clap, you want a medal with that?

It's so easy for us to guess what you've played and where. You give it a try, what classes and where have I played? Don't care? Good, 'cause neither do I about what and where you played.

If you had stated something else than "wrong" in your first message, you might have had a case here, but you didn't.

Priests can get Silence. Silence can occasionally be useful against Paladins. The combination of Manaburn and Silence can be very useful against Paladins, so what's wrong with his statement?

Please do try to use more than a single word in your message if you're trying to make a point.

Ebonn

Loyal Freddie
Lythande said:

Yeah, of course i am.... ^^

Silence works great vs Paladins thankyou, go back and play the game some more instead of posting tripe.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Lythande said:

What's wrong is the assumption that it'll help against paladins(atleast more than against any other spellcasting class).

You silence their ass whey they try to heal themselves, dispel that shield with our instant dispel spell, then manaburn their ass. If they try to cast again, use fear, and then mindflay / manaburn / mind blast.

Paladins are easy, and I haven't even gotten silence yet.

Lythande

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
You silence their ass whey they try to heal themselves, dispel that shield with our instant dispel spell, then manaburn their ass. If they try to cast again, use fear, and then mindflay / manaburn / mind blast.

Ok m8, too bad their Divine Protection REMOVES silence and is NOT dispellable. The Blessing of Protection is dispellable but wtf would you wanna dispell that for, since it doesn't protect against magic... And tbh if you got a paladin through the Divine Protection and possibly Lay on Hands and is in a position to finish the kill with silence + a nuke YOU'D PROBABLY WON ANYWAY.

All I can say is that you must've met some PISSPOOR paladins.. Luckily enough most of them are, let's hope the B.net kiddies never realize how good a class it is.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
only use i found for silence against paladins is when they try and heal their partner/group in duo or more battles

as for using it to kill them, useless, divine shield and lay on hands just ignore it.

its far from effective against them, only use it has is it may force them into using the abilities faster, therefore causing you to use less mana, if they are stupid

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
SilverHood said:

rofl

Have you played wow yet? :| dispel... lol.. ok

SilverHood

FH is my second home
ST^ said:
rofl

Have you played wow yet? :| dispel... lol.. ok

Silence at the very least interupts their heals, and dispel removes whatever they have on them, forcing them to recast it. May not hurt them much, but it's a pain having to recast stuff, and I should know, been in plenty of DoT wars with other priests.

And Lythande, I didn't know there was any good Paladins out there :D

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
All this and paladins are still boring to play. Atleast solo, I gave up at level 20. Priest is my fav. class by far. :D

And the calling our pbae fear piss poor is talking out of your ass. Its VERY good. Afaik, the only multitarget CC spell in the game.

btw. dispel is imba. :D

Killed a lvl 30 dwarf priest with my lvl 22 undead priest the other day. He was a n00b, still should have crushed me. I guess good usage of will of the forsaken, fear and dispel saved my ass (and a mana pot). :)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Priest 47 here

8 Discipline and rest Shadow

Somethings i can tell you throu my experience:

- You are able to solo perfectly with very little downtime (get spirit tap 5 asap for pve, guess till lvl 60 or till you start pvp'ing 100% of your time). I normally chain 3 yellow mobs, rest 20secs, rinse repeat... Able to solo mobs up to 4 lvl yours (5 lvls above is a nono due to the resist ratio :( ). Even managed to solo some elite mobs the same lvl as me (non hard ones).

- The only CC u get is insta pbaoe fear 8 secs duration (the rogue killah :p ) and if specced, 50% snare on MindFly. You get Shackle Undeads as pve tool: 30secs breakable mezz on undeads targets.

- Silence is kinda crap. Why? Because the range is totally shiit 20yards. A tool supposed to be caster disabler but its pretty rare to see your comon mage/warlock enemy nuking you at less than 30yards. Good vs druids n palies tho.

- In grps you do perfectly well, start getting used to be spammed with "Need grp for WC? or for Uldaman or for Scarlet Monastery". Flash heals, shield and HoT will be your best friends here.

- Im starting to consider 37Discipline/rest Holy as a good spec. Mana burn is a kickass spell vs casters n hybrids. Owns druids n palies so bad, only problem is the slow casting speed (3secs) buuuut, with a Discipline specced priest you get the reduce casting time of MB to 2,5secs which is pretty decent. Also, this line gimporves the dmg n crit chance of your spells, improves your mana pool (BEST THING SO FAR), n some other funky stuff like reducing the cost of insta spells etc... Add some holy here to improve your healing n smites an dyou have a very well round-up char who can perfectly compete 1vs1 againts shadow priests.

Theres one word to describe priests in WoW: VERSATILITY. Not a welcomed class for ppl too used to just 1 task or just a few key abilities (e.g i have the 2 main QBs n sides bar full atm n not with fluff but with esential spelll i use almost everytime). Once you get used to priest you will love em :sex:

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
silence isnt crap, its just not a tool for killing paladins

also its 24yds

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
You're talking about a disc/holy priest to compete 1v1 with shadow?

ha..?

As for silence range being crap.. well... im sure your char has legs, use them.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
ST^ said:
You're talking about a disc/holy priest to compete 1v1 with shadow?

ha..?

As for silence range being crap.. well... im sure your char has legs, use them.

Have you ever faced a Discipline priest who knows wot hes doing? No? Then dont speak out of ur arse

Face a mage with your priest silence. He will laugh at you. Guess your of the ones who think charging a grp with a cloth wearer to land pb fear is worth :D

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Obviously you've beat many shadow priests 1v1? ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom