Some ideas for the future of DAoC and some rants about the present. Warning:Long Read

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
I decided a while back that DAoC was lacking in several areas, after talking to people about this many agreed with me. After taking time to put keyboard to notepad I decided to write up the product of such discussions. Its is all a very oppinionated affair, some of it may not even be possible. I am not a game programmer I don't know the limitations of technology but still. These are just ideas.

Note: This rant/ideas list was constructed from personal experience and conversations with others, as I'm a Mid lad most of the references are to midgard. Apologies to any scummy albs or hibs. Many of you may think that some of the things I mentioned are petty, thats fine. Everybody is entitled to their oppinions. But if Mythic wish to create an online world it should grow and flurish like a real world.

What would players that I have chatted to like to see in the future?

Well personally after discussing this subject with many, many people over a long period of time certain trends appear to exist.

First of all people want the game to look better. Its about time Mythic stopped flogging a dead horse in the new class area of the game and
gave DAoC a full facelift. When you compare DAoCs classic, SI and even TOA zones,in ANY client, in comparison to newer MMORPGs on the market such as WoW they deffinately appear to be lacking somewhat.

Wouldn't you like to feel a greater sense of realism? I know I would. The fact remains that when you swing your sword and hit somebody, there should be blood. At the moment there is no blood system. Adding blood would bring a new depth to the game, how you ask? Simple. A stealther PA's somebody - blood should FLY. The idea is that they have just slit your throat - blood should pool on the ground. When anybody walks through it, INCLUDING a stealther - a couple of bloody foot prints should follow. It'd give you a better idea where stealthers were lurking and add a more real scenario. To my knowledge war isn't clean.

The next subject that has come to my attention is pet release animation. To my knowledge ghosts can't die... so why when a spirit master releases
its pet does the spirit have a death animation? It should vanish with a *puff* of smoke. Enchanter pets. NICE - you summon a friend to help you. It is meant to be one of your kin. When you are finished with it you kill it. NICE! Should the pet not just run off when released?

Weather. Great. So DAoC has weather conditions, sometimes it rains, sometimes it snows.. other times the sun comes out. So why exactly when it snows in some regions, does the snow just fall through the ground texture? - When it snows in a cold country, such as Midgard is - snow sticks. Wouldn't it be nice for snow to stick, and then when the sun comes out for it to melt? I think so.

Btw, Rain + Sun = Rainbow <- a weather phenomenon drawn upon greatly in Irish (Hibernian) mythology. ;)

Environment. Isnt it totally amazing how the environment NEVER changes. Sapplings that were sapplings 3 years ago when I first started playing - ARE STILL SAPPLINGS! Midgard has an infinate supply of wood for crafters, but where exactly is it coming from? I've not seen one tree fell in the last 36 months. For that matter, when the world was created DAoC apparently missed out on the bit where seasons were handed out. There is no autumn when great trees in Myrkwood drop their leaves. There is no summer with long days and shorter nights, there is no winter - infact it appears to be based on a random timer sun instantly turns to misty rain, followed by snow. Im not asking for them to create a system where by the world continiously changes itself. Whats wrong with felling a tree here, making a sappling slightly bigger there, making one tree appear to be dead here and another one there? These are simple changes that could be added with every new patch implemented to create the effect of a changing growing world and sort out seasons and better weather conditions?

Atmosphere? I think not. The ambient sound effects are poor. Great forests have no atmosphere. A forest such as Myrkwood should be eiree, its sound effects should include twigs snapping so you always think there is something behind you, great trees should creak in the wind. Oh yea, and get some new music, nuff said.

In other environments whats wrong with birdsong - Hibernia would suit birdsong - hey what would stop you putting in a few unkillable bird type mobs that fly around the sky and could be the source for this sound effect?

Bugs? Ha! Don't get me started. I've reported several bugs and am always replied to with the following message: "Its been added on a list that we will send to mythic to fix for a future patch" well as of yet. I've seen no patches to fix the bugs. Infact I still see people using the bugs every time I log on.

Server stability and lag? Oh boy... how annoying is it when you PAY for a service that you enjoy, however you are unable to use it properly due to issues beyond your own control. Then a GOA official has the audacity of stating on a message board "Its not our problem its probably a router out of our control and we can't make them fix it". Well if thats the case every time we get the insane lag I feel it only fair that we are compensated for every days lost play. YOur taking my money, i'm not getting a usable service, sort it out and don't fob me off. I mean ffs raids planned weeks in advance are ruined and you claim you can't do anything sucky imo.

If DAoC wants to survive another 3 years (as to my knowledge they have already stated there will be no "DAoC 2" - just reincarnations of the origional), then they need to get their fingers out. Make the game quirky - give it something that its rivals do not have.

People don't want new classes. People don't want new races. Most people don't want new worlds. Many people I have spoken to have never completed ML 1-10, many havent even got all their artifacts due to such poor drop rate as Healers Embrace etc. Adding extra things into the game only makes their mission to be the best seem even more impossible. People who have been playing the game from the start have more than 1 level 50. Well - most do. They don't want to have yet another sequence of events that they must do on each character.

Lets focus on making the game better than adding more content. I have no problem with adding content such as new quests for better rewards etc - from what I can see the game is impossible to complete anyway - it doesnt need extra content but theres no harm in adding new story lines - something that is completely optional and not required to have completed for a decent chance in RVR or PVP.

Once you have your first Lvl 50 RR12 ML10 character you got up to another 9 more that you can do the same for, and then there is the whole crafting affair. Some people even collect things. I knew a member of Excalibur who enjoyed collecting trophies. He was already level 50, had several legendary crafters and a semi-decent Realm Rank and found new fun and depths in the game by collecting things for his house.

Please Mythic don't try and run before you can walk. Focus on making a REALLY aesthetically pleasing, stable, quirky, enjoyable game with less bugs and stop it with all the bloody overpowered FOTM new classes. Lets be honest, you've got a very good base to start from.

New games such as WoW aren't killing DAoC. DAoC is doing a bloody good job of killing itself.

Ok. I'll shut up now.

If you wish to comment on any of these ideas be the comments positive or not. Please feel free to do so.

Before you post, when I refer to "people" these are only people I have spoken to. I do not profess to be the voice of the DAoC Community. Far from it.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Haven't got time to read it all, read bits of it.

The blood system wouldn't be allowed, too many kids play this game, and the pet idea is quite funky.

Will keep reading later.

Tilda

Its a good post, however, as has been said a blood system wouldnt be allowed.
My only other comment is about the lag whine, if you researched about the internet and how the router system works in france, you'd understand that it acctually isnt goa's fault.
Its like, you buy a car, but then the road outside your house is closed, so you go to the car garage to complain...

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
Overdriven said:
Haven't got time to read it all, read bits of it.

The blood system wouldn't be allowed, too many kids play this game, and the pet idea is quite funky.

Will keep reading later.

First of all to play you need a CC. If too many kids are playing its because too many adults are letting them.

Secondly. Are you trying to tell me that a little blood is too graphic for children? Have you seen the kind of language they hurl around the servers? If they are old enough to have potty mouths then they are old enough to see a little blood. Hardly the most distrubting thing is it. WoW managed to get away with it and its only rated 12+ - granted TOA box has "11+" on the back but one year means the difference between blood and no blood? Age not an issue imo. This game doesnt portray skinheads walking the streets killing people by putting plastic bags over their heads - a little blood wouldnt hurt anybody.

Gamah

Banned
Regards to the Graphics, with catacombs and the new building textures comming up in 1.75, I think doac looks as good as most of the games around today. Sure some parts show age..but most of it has been / is being addressed by mythic

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Its like, you buy a car, but then the road outside your house is closed, so you go to the car garage to complain...

I'm not paying the garage for a service. Thats what I pay my road tax for.

With a garage im buying a product. Not a service.

Gamah

Banned
Dancingboner said:
First of all to play you need a CC. If too many kids are playing its because too many adults are letting them.

Secondly. Are you trying to tell me that a little blood is too graphic for children? Have you seen the kind of language they hurl around the servers? If they are old enough to have potty mouths then they are old enough to see a little blood. Hardly the most distrubting thing is it. WoW managed to get away with it and its only rated 12+ - granted TOA box has "11+" on the back but one year means the difference between blood and no blood? Age not an issue imo. This game doesnt portray skinheads walking the streets killing people by putting plastic bags over their heads - a little blood wouldnt hurt anybody.

Blood is games is Illegal in germany afaik..so there goes a majour sorce of revinue for goa and mythic :eek:

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Blood is games is Illegal in germany afaik..so there goes a majour sorce of revinue for goa and mythic :eek:

Ok, so run the non-blood version on German Servers?

Gamah

Banned
Oh right, so increase the amount of client builds used..which in turn increases the test load and then increases patch times and problem fixes.

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Oh right, so increase the amount of client builds used..which in turn increases the test load and then increases patch times and problem fixes.

Ok well that was only one of many points. But tbh I think you'll find Germans playing WoW

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I liked the idea about seasons and, things growing older and such... but it would be on such a massive scale it would be incredibly hard to implement, and maintain.

The snow falling and sticking thing could be quite easy to implement, but it would mean alot more data being transfered from client to server, because all the game maps and models are client side - but the snow and rain is all server side, so the server would have to tell every client for every texture on that particular zone to change slightly. Think off all the poor people on 56ks who are struggling already to load all the various textures from a zerg of mids.

I dont think alot of the things you suggested would be easily implementable with current easily available tech at the moment.

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for your reply - I did say I hadn't got a clue about current game technology but not all of the changes that could be made are effected by such issues.

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
DocWolfe said:
Theres blood in wow? Was never there when I played beta

When I hit something with my Tauren Druid's big staff there was blood. It wasnt particularly good blood. But blood none-the-less. It didnt pool or anything but it did appear to "come off mobs" when they where hit.

Mysst

Fledgling Freddie
Hear hear!

I think there are some really good issues there. DaoC population is getting less and less and Mythic need to do something to pull it back.

I think there should be 'DaoC: Classic' servers with NO SI, NO TOA, and NO Catacombs, so people can get to 50 and then just duke it out in RvR like the good old days.

Gamah

Banned
Yea, I always think to myself when people suggest the no this no that servers..its a case of greener grass..who the hell wants to go back to milegate camps..and 8 man stealth zergs camping milegates.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Most of the ideas, while nice are pretty much unworkable. The stuff about trees growing, snow settling etc would mean that the zones would need to be redesigned from scratch and then the extra info being sent from server to client would increase massively to no great benefit. Pet release is probably doable but there's a list of things I'd want Mythic to sort out before they allocated resources to that to be honest.

Ambient sounds have been improved and afaik are being slowly revamped across all zones. All the catacombs zones have cool ambient sounds, a lot of new ambient sounds were added a few patches back and I think Mythic said they were going to overhaul the rest over time.
Textures - see above. The new town art patch looks amazing on US servers. Well worth getting it when it's live here.

Server stability and Lag. The servers are stable. Unscheduled downtime is fairly rare and usually very short. Lag is somethig else and there is never going to be an online game that isn't a hostage to lag problems from time to time. What the GM says is true though, Goa are only responsible for their servers and their connection to the internet. Other companies are responsible for the rest. Your argument about product vs service doesn't really apply, Goa provide a service which is keeping the servers up and open to the internet. If the internet is borked they can't be responsible for that. The only way Goa could be repsonsible for your entire connection is if they provided direct cables from their servers to every subscribers house. As they don't, you have to use hubs and cables provided by other people and hope those other people keep them working properly.

Oh and OF sucked. At least with NF, groups don't have to run the MG gauntlet and get chain-wasted by the inevitable ubergroup with stealthzerg backup (all realms equally guilty).

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
Don't kid yourselves. MMORPG competition is only going to heat up and subscriber numbers of older games like DAoC will continue to fall.

What is basically proposed is a complete overhaul and redesign of the game. Many of DAoCs problems are rooted into basic gameplay design decisions that require a total redraw to iron out.
In that case it makes more business sense to simply design a new game from the ground up (DAoC2) and enter the market with that.

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
They have already said somewhere a while back that there will not be a DAoC 2. So what I am proposing would be alterations to DAoC as we know it rather than shoving new and time consuming expansions with extra Champion Levels, Master Levels etc down our throats.

Gamah

Banned
Actully if you read the quote it says: There will not be a daoc2 while daoc is alive.

So its not ruled out.

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Actully if you read the quote it says: There will not be a daoc2 while daoc is alive.

So its not ruled out.

I'll pre-order DAoC 2 now then :p

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Nice idea's but not all of them would work that well, for example the blood thing, not only is it not allowed in some countries but it will make people lag even more with the added animations same goes for the snow, rain, tree's that lose their leaves etc.
I'd much rather have them fix the lag and the class imbalances then adding some realism like that to the game.
Some games you can play with 600 vs 600 people without any bit of lag but once you get 100 vs 100 people in DAoC the mass ld's start to come and sometimes even the server crashes due to it, much rather have that fixed first.

And besided comparing DAoC's looks with WoW and other new games is a bit stupid as DAoC is like 4 years old now and WoW is completely new so they will have the best looking things that they can get now while DAoC has to upgrade a 4 year old engine, in 4 years WoW will not look as good as the games that get released then also.

Dancingboner

Fledgling Freddie
Andrilyn said:
I'd much rather have them fix the lag and the class imbalances

Face Facts.

They are NEVER going to have completely balanced classes. Hib are meant to be the caster realm. Mid meant to be the tank realm.. alb meant to be the school kid realm (joke :p ). Unless each realm has exactly the same classes (take WoW for the major part of it - granted there are some classes only available to alliance or horde) then there will never be totally balanced RVR.

If they wanted to make the game more balanced why the fuck did they give Vampiirs every ability in the game? They can heal themselves for 300hp per tick at lvl 50 and with high Shadow Mastery, in the right gear they hit bloody hard in melee and with claw. They have their own form of end regen (steal some other poor bastards). They have self speed etc etc etc etc. On Camlann i know a 50 vamp who is TOA'd that can beat all but one class in a 1 on1 fight. Whats more I hear that their claw damage is being upped. Its is a melee attack that does heat damage. I've only ever seen it resisted once, and that was when my lvl 20 vamp did it on a lvl 50 mob, out of the 10 times i casted it - it resisted it once. NERF?!! Althought it is melee it can't be blocked or parried. In an RVR ruleset if i'm honest i'm not sure how they fair, but certainly on Camlann they are overpowered.

Its hard enough to balance old classes without adding new ones every 10 mins.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
isnt daoc a 11+ game? whats the rules on blood in movies? ive seen people die in pg films etc so why cant i see them bleed in my game :( i like the blood idea. alot of the stuff ur suggesting sounds really good tho but would need better comps to run them etc etc so will be minimising the market right there.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Dancing, congratulations that you managed to turn another topic having nothing to do with Vamps or any other class whatsoever to a Vamp whine thread! Why the hell do you start about vamps, I agree with most of the issues in your first post but you're just hijacking your own thread. If you wanna discuss class issues, there are tons of other topics out there. Please don't start about how Vamps are overpowered, how BD's are inunterruptable and how the Sorc RR5 RA is god mode. You're just hijacking your own thread.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
All those graphical updates are to be dreamt of, doable technically but not feasible in a MMORPG just yet that can be played over 56k.

Probably totally unwanted in RVR, it's all about frantic button mashing not admiring the realism.

What I would like is for a much farther draw distance for those with kik-ass GFX cards that can handle it, not for chars just the scenery.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Server Stability - Nop servers still lag when there is a relic raid or a particulary large raid going, sent ping plots got the usual "we are looking into it", i dont expect anything to come of it. I bet you 3-4 months down the line if i was to run a 200 man zerg the server would still buckle under the load.
Open transit - We been here countless times, they cant do anything about it blah blah blah. There is a solution but its an expensive one, have all the relevant users routed a different way. Wow managed it, dont see why GOA cant do the same. But at the ned of the day GOA is a business we dont matter so long as the money comes pouring in, and we like the addicts we are pay the subs every month. GMs cant do anything about it other than say sorry your fcuked

Unfortunately daoc is designed badly from what i have gathered from the responces from various GM's , it is difficult to change. Whats server side is server side, whats client side is client side and thats the way it will stay (example the fact that packet sent when stealthed are different from packets send when unstealthed which our radar abusing friends love so much).

Some of the ideas are not unreasonable, the snow is client side afaik (ever gone ld/lagging and the snow is still falling), changing the scenery can be implemented with every patch i.e bigger trees etc not necessarily all the time.

Daoc is still alive for 1 reason, there is no alternative which is like daoc. The rvr concept is totally unique, soon as something similar/better comes along it wont be long after before people jump ship.

Nice ideas but under the current daoc structure near impossible to implement without significant problems

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
The only fix that DAOC needs right now is a lot more players, or any of the above isn't going to happen. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom