Some big Android performance improvements coming

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just been reading this over at Arstechnica, looks like Linaro have coded some massive performance changes into the Android codebase and Google is going to merge them into it's own build. This means better performance for anyone who can get a patched version on thier device! :D

Linaro’s efforts have boosted Android’s performance, delivering an improvement of 30 to 100 percent in various benchmarks. They achieved these impressive gains by adapting Android 4 so that it could be built with their improved GCC toolchain.

We first wrote about Linaro in 2010 when the non-profit organization was founded by a consortium of hardware and software companies, including ARM, Samsung, TI, and Canonical. Linaro has worked to improve the quality of Linux on the ARM architecture, focusing largely on hardware-enablement and tooling.

The group is closely aligned with Ubuntu, but the improvements that it is driving offer benefits for the broader ecosystem of platforms and distributions that are deployed on ARM hardware. They have done a lot of work upstream in GCC (the GNU Compiler Collection) to open the door for better ARM optimization in Linux and other open source software.

Linaro’s GCC improvements have been producing measurable performance advantages over Google’s stock Android environment and build toolchain since late last year. Google is reportedly accepting some of these improvements in the upstream Android Open Source Project and independent developers are also looking to put them to use.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...e-boosted-30-100-percent-by-linaro-toolchain/

Quite a few people reporting much improved battery life as well!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I got the 30-100% improvement. The rest was gobbledegook. Sounds promising, whatever the fuck a GNU is.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't care about anything other than eliminating the stupid audio latency problem Android has suffered from for years. If they can manage that, I'll buy them a drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom