So... The bsc reveals so far...

Urgat

Part of the furniture
The stats system and the magic system...

http://camelotunchained.com/en/bsc/

In short, multiple layers of stats. Stats rise as you use them.

Runic magic system where players create their own spells using reagents and runes.

So far, my impresions is that CU is drawing inspiration from UO and its generation of mmos.

Just like @Mark Jacobs said he would.

RvR version of UO? YES PLS!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
looks really interesting, but red team / blue team is easy to balance why it works for Fisher Price "My first MMOs" like WoW

so balance... ? :/

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Tis sounding good, I was a little "What?" at first but after reading it a few times it sounds like a pleasant change from current day MMO's

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Combat system has also been revealed, and will use a similar system to the magic!

Same link as above, but in short...

Players will be able to create their own melee abilities by combining "components"

You can tailor your melee abilities to suite your play style.

Not all classes have access to all types of component.

Reactionary components, positional components, area components, targeting components are all included.

Components have to be learned and practiced with to improve there effectivness.

Quick example. (My own thoughts on how it will work, based on my understsnding, not from CSE)

I am playing an assassan type class And decide i need to have a high damage ability that damages my opponents legs to prevent escape.

I create a new ability.. With the components...

1 dagger
2 extra damage
3 target leg

But that combination puts the ability over the allowed balance threshold, so i add a forth to bring it back down a bit...

4 rear positional.

And viola.. "Urgat's hamstring cut" is born as an ability.

Add in components that boost or mitigate "interrupt damage" andyou have the makings of a very interesting and deep combat system! IMO

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Sounds good so far, should make things interesting.

Probably going to make balance a bit of a pain though but at least they only have to balance for PvP.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Probably going to make balance a bit of a pain though but at least they only have to balance for PvP.
Aye, this means if they do it badly there will be a generic class for each role, and little room to experiment, but sure does sound interesting

Urgat

Part of the furniture

I did wonder about balancing too, but i assume it will be built intothe system itself... Ie you want lots of damage... Fine but you pay for it in terms of resource or cool-down etc.

I also wonder about how they will deal with gamers ability to inevitably find the "best combos"

If they don't make all of the options just as viable, we will inevitably end up with cookie cutter combos that the masses will use.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
well it all sounds cool and such, but lets be real. The 'crafting system' of skills is just like training.. only a bit enhanced that u need to grind a bit of stuff for it. Or how it will probably end. buy stuff from market goto trainer and your skill that was availble at lvl 21 can now be crafted/trained.

I'd be more impressed if they'd allow you to train different things: backstab with snare, or backstab with stun or backstab with poison.. and once u trained one u can never go back. Or that you can chose styles, so that as a opponent you wont actually recognize what style the enemy is using.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
well it all sounds cool and such, but lets be real. The 'crafting system' of skills is just like training.. only a bit enhanced that u need to grind a bit of stuff for it. Or how it will probably end. buy stuff from market goto trainer and your skill that was availble at lvl 21 can now be crafted/trained.

Thats not how i understand it at all, and certainly not what the presentation or q&a indicated would be the case.

Not sure where you got that from, but i think you are badly mistaken or didn't quite understand the concepts they were talking about.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'd be more impressed if they'd allow you to train different things: backstab with snare, or backstab with stun or backstab with poison.. and once u trained one u can never go back.

Locking people into choices would be the worst thing they could do. Respecs are absolutely essential. If you have spent ages on a character and made a mistake or the game changes so much that your skillset is useless you should be able to change it. Naturally that respec should not be just handed out but earned somehow to try and avoid people changing every week or whatever. People should never be forced into the situation where they feel they have to delete and reroll just because of a skill point error or fault.

I remember in DAOC when I started my hero, I put skill points into pierce at first then went sword and board, I didn't have enough points for all the skills and had to wait for them to fix our broken dragon to change it, this was when it took 20-30 days /played to get 50.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Thats not how i understand it at all, and certainly not what the presentation or q&a indicated would be the case.

Not sure where you got that from, but i think you are badly mistaken or didn't quite understand the concepts they were talking about.
Can u please elaborate on that? I have just watched some Q&A again and they're selling it perfectly.. open this open that but fact is there's bound to be a ruleset. Even u say this..
C
Not all classes have access to all types of component.
Reactionary components, positional components, area components, targeting components are all included.
I create a new ability.. With the components...
1 dagger
2 extra damage
3 target leg
And viola.. "Urgat's hamstring cut" is born as an ability.

In my eyes and please correct me if i am wrong, just trying to understand things aswell; is that instead of training pierce or critical strike (for daoc example) you get the ingredients you need for a skill and craft them (a bit GW2 style, at first eveything is possible but after a month everything is written down in a wiki). And you know what style u can craft with that many spider legs and that many tinctures.

Locking people into choices would be the worst thing they could do. Respecs are absolutely essential. .

i agree locking is wrong however they shouldn't make it too easy to change setups..

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Just to dig down a bit deeper in for instance the creation of magic:

• The spellbook tracks charges, usage, successes, and failures of inscribed spells
Pretty clear this one
  • Players may show their spellbook to others, and share spells they have created
New, not really unusual but leaves some question marks if spells can be sold or is there a thing like a complete book?

• Spellbooks have a maximum capacity of spell charges they can hold
I guess this is where the specialization kicks in, light caster / dark caster / hybrid form etc.
  • Spell charges are drained from the spellbook when the spell is cast
Go easy on the spamm buttons then ;)

• Spells can use components infused with reagents (which may be difficult to find in the world), in order to enhance their effects
So found of dragons / realmrank 10 kills (bountys on cyclodia for example) u can give extra effect, instead of a arrow u can cast flaming arrow (for example)

• A.I.R.
Awesome

Crafting:
I think the story about the vox magus tells it all. the sounds allready excist, its just how u put them together that makes the song..but after a while every single song is played and a nice wiki will show u what to get for what style/spell

(again, i am trying to understand not flame)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Can u please elaborate on that? I have just watched some Q&A again and they're selling it perfectly.. open this open that but fact is there's bound to be a ruleset. Even u say this..

In my eyes and please correct me if i am wrong, just trying to understand things aswell; is that instead of training pierce or critical strike (for daoc example) you get the ingredients you need for a skill and craft them (a bit GW2 style, at first eveything is possible but after a month everything is written down in a wiki). And you know what style u can craft with that many spider legs and that many tinctures.

i agree locking is wrong however they shouldn't make it too easy to change setups..

You seem to be implying that the "components" are physical things, to be bought or traded for or found in game. Perhaps it is because the word itself implies something tangible?

Nothing i have read or seen indicates to me this is the case. (I admit i may be missing something key, here)

As i understand it, you simply "have" a group of these components to use in a kind of recipe book. The options available to you are dependent on a number of things like class, probably race etc etc

Additionally some options maybe gated by stat requirements (which you raise by using the stat in question)

There is no grinding or collecting, or training. You are simply free to design your own abilities within the confines of the inbuilt balance system and the components available to you as a result of your current gating / choices.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
You seem to be implying that the "components" are physical things, to be bought or traded for or found in game. Perhaps it is because the word itself implies something tangible?

Nothing i have read or seen indicates to me this is the case. (I admit i may be missing something key, here)

As i understand it, you simply "have" a group of these components to use in a kind of recipe book. The options available to you are dependent on a number of things like class, probably race etc etc

Additionally some options maybe gated by stat requirements (which you raise by using the stat in question)

There is no grinding or collecting, or training. You are simply free to design your own abilities within the confines of the inbuilt balance system and the components available to you as a result of your current gating / choices.

So for instance: when i cast 5 heat spells, my intellect rises and i get a 'heat' thingy for my crafting?

Urgat

Part of the furniture
So for instance: when i cast 5 heat spells, my intellect rises and i get a 'heat' thingy for my crafting?

Firstly, i was talking about the melee skill customising system. The spell customisation is slightly different if i understand it correctly, in that... Yes... You can add "physical" ingredients to spells to alter them or make them more powerful.

And no, because you are not a crafter, you are a caster of some description. You can design your own spells, and then put them in your spell book to use. But crafting is a separate thing (and class) entirely.

Let me see if i can create an example.

Lets say you decide to create a new caster character.

You pick elf
You pick "elementalist"

When you start the game you look at your spell book and it is empty. Because you have not yet designed any spells to use.

You check your spell creation page and you see 15 different "components" for spells.

5 are because you chose elf
5 are because you chose elementalist.
5 are because your a caster and all casters have them.

You start designing your first spell and decide to make it a fire spell so you pick the "fire" primary component.

Then you want it to add a burn effect so you also pick the "dot" component.

Finally you want to make it do more than normal damage but when you try to add the "damage boost" component the system tells you you lack the mana to cast such a powerful spell.

You add in the "shorter range" component which brings the cost of the spell down enough that you could use it.

You also notice a "aoe" component but you are unable to use it yet as it requires a higherintelligence score than you have.

So you leave it as is.

Now in your spell book is a spell that you can drop on your action bar.

Using the spell will help to raise your int over time, as well as improving your ability with the components in the spell.

At some point you learn that adding in captured souls to your Spell will have a specific effect, so you a version of the spell that uses Souls as well.

You now have two spells in your book. Books have a limit on how many spells you can keep in them.

The melee ability system is similar in concept, with the exception that i have yet to see anything that indicates you can add "physical" items to the design process.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just watched the anti cheat system in action. All I can say is - simply amazing, people physically cannot hide in walls, cannot speedhack and cannot dive under the floor, will grab the video on youtube when they upload it and share it here.

Edit: here it is, starts at 9:30

Last edited:

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Will look at it more when I get home, but is there any mention on the things that made doac such as op cc and hit to interrupt?

Fast

Part of the furniture
Anyone know if the Alpha server is still up?

Fast

Part of the furniture
So anyone who has Alpha access, had a chance to download and play an early build. The server was supposed to be up from last night to this morning EDT. Sadly it seems down, overloaded or crashed and nobody around to turn the lights on. Really wanted to have a go, as i missed it last night. Anyone else get in?

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah, it's nothing more than a sandbox where you can run around and throw spells at each other (with no effects so far as I could tell) right now. As they say, it's pre-Alpha so it's super simplistic and more about testing server load, net code, patcher etc etc. Some people are interested in playing around with that stuff but I think I'll be more interested when there's more of a game to actually play. :)

This whole 'BSC reveals' thing and the early access have certainly gotten me more interested in the game and hyped for Alpha/Beta. I like that the early visual style is VERY reminiscent of DAoC and a lot of what they're saying about combat, magic systems etc sound really promising. Still super skeptical about whether they can actually deliver but here's hoping.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Here's hoping too :) I watched some of the BSC gameplay streams, and it does look very like daoc. Enjoyed most of the BSC week, gives you a decent idea of where and what they are up to. Certainly lots to get hyped over, but not too hyped :)

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
Haven't watched all the streams yet, but do they say anything concrete about interruption system and long lasting CC?

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Haven't watched all the streams yet, but do they say anything concrete about interruption system and long lasting CC?

Yeah would like to know what they are doing for this also. I don't really want another Daoc where the CC is too good but on the other hand i don't want a system like ESO where the CC only last 2-4 secs and their isn't a immunity.

I'd love something like the Daoc's interrupt system with it's immunity timers on CC but have CC only lasting like 10 secs tops unless you have +% points into CC ( if there will be such thing ).

Soazak

Part of the furniture
They didn't mention CC afaik, but so far sounds like some kinda hard/soft hybrid interrupt system. There is a stat attached to all (I think?) abilities called Disruption. If the attack/spell has high enough Disruption it will fully interrupt your spell, if not it wont...I don't think they mentioned anything like pushback etc. From the sounds of it, they want hard interrupts, but don't want interrupts to be as easy as they were in daoc (just spamming any AOE over and over), I would guess that damage abilities will carry enough Disruption to interrupt, where as aoe debuffs wont.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yea the Anti-Cheat stuff is amazing, more MMO's and genres need to start using the same system, it'd shut cheaters down for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom