so me and dmw got owned........

E

ECA

by a nasty little irc worm.

I did need to reformat though so its not all bad, kinda lucky i bought a dvdrw last weekend as well as i have 80gb of shit to backup.

Still, got to write about 20 discs which is a pain, but I did need to do it anyay.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/irc.trojan.fgt.html

I got it off DMW, although I only clicked it because I quit CS and am waiting for FFXI to be delivered having completed Q3, RTCW, Oni, IGI, IGI 2, MP, MP2 on their hardest settings, whilst waiting for it to arrive, and now having fuck all to do.

oh the joys of a second pc :/

E

ECA

First virus I've ever had as well, god I feel like an aol user or something.

M

monster.

Was it the "lara_someorother.jpg" one?

I was also dense enough to click the link :(

The joy of doing yet another reformat...

E

Embattle

Thxs....reason 2,005,023 not to use irc ;)

E

ECA

nah dmws was a jenna jameson.jpg

surely you mean more reason to use linux emb?

it only effects win9x.

D

Deadmanwalking

Normaly im not so dumb but i had a PM box open to the great Cdr so when it came up i assumed he was just giving me a link to something like he often does.

But the good news is it only fucked my registry :clap:

I am back with all me old files, a few reinstalls required but no data lost.

E

Embattle

Naa...but any one who is running a 9x system deserves it :p

W

Will

-O(operserv@operserv.quakenet.org)- (Broadcast) Quakenet would like to remind all its windows using users NOT TO CLICK ON ANY LINKS THEY SEE ON IRC. This particularly refers to any links ending in .jpg, such as jenna_jameson.jpg, as they will destroy the data stored on your computer.

Seems fairly straight-forwards to me.

CTCP VERSION reply from Will: BitchX-1.0c19+ by panasync - FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE : Keep it to yourself!

P

PR.

Surely XP just restores these files?

Thats what System restore was all about it tells you, you are missing files and either copies them from the System Restore folder or prompts for a CD?!

And are the links actually .jpgs or are they something made to look like it?

I had a IRC trojan on my machine once it only got as far as the IRC folder as Norton picked it up and quaratined it

D

Deadmanwalking

1) i never got that broadcast

2) embattle erm? im on XP

3) Pfft i blame Cdr

T

Tom

So basically:

IRC is a bug ridden pile of shite? Or am I wrong?

M

Mr.Monkey

Basically irc is still full of newbs that click links.

E

ECA

We got it ages before the global.

Sigh.

Tom - irc is a protocol, define a client on an OS :-]

G

Gumbo

But if you didn't click links from your mates on irc what's the point in even being there.

The difficulty with this one was that like DMW said, it looked like a mate was trying to show you a picture, the first time it came up, and they didn't even know they had shown it to you. Particularly nasty.

Incidentally, I clicked on it, it was Britney, not Jenna Jameson, and appeared to have absolutely no effect on my machine.

My default browser is Phoenix, or Firebird as it's called now, I guess that might have something to do with it.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking

2) embattle erm? im on XP

Double erm back to you...look at ECAs reply, which is the one my comment is back too.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by Tom
So basically:

No, IE is. It's done via a URL not via IRC. To get infected by IRC you have to be stupid enough to type commands into the program.

S

S-Gray

I clicked on the link ECA sent in #wij.

I thought "hm.. britney spears pic... ookay" and closed it

Then i noticed Gumbo saying he was doomed to oblivion... coz it was a virus.

I got no detection that it was a virus and nothing seems to be any different

C

Cdr

As you can prob tell from DMW post, I got 'hit' aswell.

Unfortunately, when you do click on the link, unknown to you the link is being spammed in IRC by yourself - but you cant see it.

Apparently it's an exploit within Windows Media Player, but activated by hidden javascript within the webpage displaying the picture. Obviously the script only worked with IE, as Gumbo didn't seem to be effected. Not a lot could be done :(

I was able to get everything back, so I've not actually lost anything (apart from an evening, but I wasn't doing much anyways).

P

PR.

Ah the windows media player scripting bug, wasn't there a patch out for that a few weeks ago?

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Tom
So basically:

no. that should read "all things windows is a bug ridden pile of shite"

M

mr.Blacky

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Normaly im not so dumb but i had a PM box open to the great Cdr so when it came up i assumed he was just giving me a link to something like he often does.

But the good news is it only fucked my registry :clap:

I am back with all me old files, a few reinstalls required but no data lost.
Yeah but before that I clicked it when you gave that link out....

D

Deadmanwalking

You dont realise the link is being given out thats the harsh bit.

And i got it of CDr THEN you got it ;)

7th

hehehehe, was at a halloween party last night (yea 1 day late i know) and I was having a smoke in my mates room where he has his computer, so being the nerd I am, I had a nosey at irc, saw a link from another of my friends and clicked it

*pop*

didn't realise until this morning that it was *me* that broke his machine :)

*runs away and hides*

sorry paul!

7th

Users who are viewing this thread