So, is it any good - and how do you play?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I saw the box in the local computer shop yesterday and was tempted ... but it didn't really say how it was played. Had anticipated the game was a RTS, but from reading some of the posts below it appears to be a first person shooter.

So -- can some brave soul(s) please tell me what it's all about?

Have quit playing WoW (bored shitless @ 60 of farming, raiding and queing) and currently messing about with SWG (also boring), CS:Source and Planetside (better than I remembered).

throdgrain

FH is my second home
It plays a lot like bf1942, its ok, a pretty good game tbh, probably my Third
Favourite tbh :)

Poag

m00?
Turamber said:
I saw the box in the local computer shop yesterday and was tempted ... but it didn't really say how it was played. Had anticipated the game was a RTS, but from reading some of the posts below it appears to be a first person shooter.

So -- can some brave soul(s) please tell me what it's all about?

Have quit playing WoW (bored shitless @ 60 of farming, raiding and queing) and currently messing about with SWG (also boring), CS:Source and Planetside (better than I remembered).

Its a first person shooter turamber, Built around a Control point system.

Check out www.bfnation.net i think theres a guide there.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Thanks Gale, I'll give it a try I think.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it's also good fun. especially when Embattle gets to be a cockbadger by fragging you umteen times in a row cos the server spawns you in the frigging same place over and over again :/:eek::):D

Embattle

FH is my second home
I did feel sorry for you, wasn't sure if I could do it again but then I realised you had to take one for our squad......or was it twenty :p

TdC

in the old days they'd call that camping spawn points ;) still, I forgive you your sins as you made me learn that going prone is a good thing to do :)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Installed the game and played the first level/trainer ... looks great, though I don't know what I'm doing!! I quite fancy coming to join you folks on Gale's map to learn the ropes and leave my newbish ways behind - so if somebody could explain (in simple terms and large letters) how to create an online account that would be smashing. Ta :)

TdC

dysfunction said:
couldnt you just spawn in a different spot??

yes, I could have. thing is, I didn't want to. half my squad was there and I didn't want to leave them behind. which is why I have a k/d ratio of 0.5 I suppose ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
yes, I could have. thing is, I didn't want to. half my squad was there and I didn't want to leave them behind. which is why I have a k/d ratio of 0.5 I suppose ;)

leave no man behind? have you watched Black Hawk Down too many times? lol

TdC

heh I actually thought that movie was a wee bit naff. perhaps if I watch it again with my new BF2 eyes I'll like it more :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
i know what you mean with sqaud system does want to make you rush to your teammates to give them help.

But then it also makes you want to put a knife to someone when you join a crap sqaud.......

Poag

m00?
Aada said:
i know what you mean with sqaud system does want to make you rush to your teammates to give them help.

But then it also makes you want to put a knife to someone when you join a crap sqaud.......

Freddy Squad > All :p

Tur,

To create a profile, loa dup the game, on the login page it says 'Create Account' follow those instructions to the close.

The login with that account and do all your game settings [Keyboard, GFX, Sound etc etc] once all thats done you should be sorted :)

Theres a far mroe detailed description in the game manual tho with pictures and everything :)

-poag

dysfunction

FH is my second home
TdC said:

hmmmm...

Ive just seen a big opp how I can get my kill ratio up!!!

TdC

Aada said:

too right! soo much better when there's a good SL or C that actually does things :/ I can see the benefits of a clan there too, as it's not often that you get peeps actually working together helping out. under decent leadership the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

TdC

dysfunction said:
hmmmm...

Ive just seen a big opp how I can get my kill ratio up!!!

following me about? :p

Poag

m00?
TdC said:
too right! soo much better when there's a good SL or C that actually does things :/ I can see the benefits of a clan there too, as it's not often that you get peeps actually working together helping out. under decent leadership the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Thats why i was trying to drag you and Calean into the Freddy squad we had going..ok you have too put up with me going..."Ha look at that..another black hawk with the tv missile" and the Fidge. chuckle in response but hey...we are pretty good fun :)

Athan

Resident Freddy
Beware when creating the account. If on first attempt it gives a 'unique nick' error this means someone else already has that nick as a BF2 account and/or a GameSpyID, as one such is created per BF2 account. The nasty thing is that despite complaining in this way, and despite the fact the account won't work for collecting BF2 score, it has been created, using up the email address.

If it happens, go get a yahoo/whatever email address and try again. You MIGHT want to use one of the Bf2 stats sites like http://www.bf2s.com/ and http://www.bf2tracker.com/ (latter requires registration) to see if your intended nick is already taken in the game before wasting an email address. Not that this will help if it was just a generic GameSpyID that's causing the clash.

As for playing, join a squad: on the screen where you select which team and kit to use you have a 'squad' tab as well, click 'join' to join an extant squad (unless it's locked), 'create squad' to create a new one with default name (alpha, brave, charlie, etc.) or 'custom squad' to create one with a custom name.
Bear in mind that when in a squad you get the option of spawning where your (alive only) Squad Leader is, rather than just at any flag your team has captured. There are some strange rules to do with this. Sometimes even if the SL is alive you can't spawn on him, particularly, IME, if your team has no captured flags. I guess it'd be next to impossible to win by closing down all the flags if some SL off in the barrens could just keep spawning people (who could then leave and create their own squad to let others spawn too).

Class-wise, whatever you're comfortable with, but I personally think that Spec Ops is a good start (don't have to contend with the 3-burst M16 on USMC for assault and medic). Just remember that after laying your last C4 you WILL now have the detonator out, so another click == BOOM.

HTH,

-Ath

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the tips :) Gale has now very kindly got me registered on the server. I managed (lord knows how) to come 14th just now in my team. Have messed about with Assault and Sniper and enjoyed both, didn't find the Tank Buster role much fun but Support is the best so far!

Aada

Part of the furniture
My bf2 tag is -=xio=-Maca07166 i love my clan :) is great when we all get on

TdC

Gale said:
Thats why i was trying to drag you and Calean into the Freddy squad we had going..ok you have too put up with me going..."Ha look at that..another black hawk with the tv missile" and the Fidge. chuckle in response but hey...we are pretty good fun :)

I want the next patch to jam Fidge's guns when he's flying over me :(

Athan

Resident Freddy
TdC said:
I want the next patch to jam Fidge's guns when he's flying over me :(
And to stop Athan spawning right next to you after you just killed him one floor below :D ?

Personally I'd go for "Bazerka not having a 6th sense about which corner I'm creeping around when he's in a tank or APC".

-Ath

TdC

yeah that was a bit of a surprise too Ath hehe :)

though I made you pay later ;)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
finally changed my keys to allow me to accept squad invites and I gotta say I had a great time last night even for the short time we grouped up. Showed me a new side to a game that I already thought very highly of.

So see you all out in the field.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Squads are so much better, well squads were you know the people you are with can actually fly, drive and fight. Having just been on the EA server and finding the person I was flying around in my Heli was as blind as a bat really did annoy.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Embattle said:
Squads are so much better, well squads were you know the people you are with can actually fly, drive and fight. Having just been on the EA server and finding the person I was flying around in my Heli was as blind as a bat really did annoy.

TBH i just think its people that do it on purpose there are people out there who like loading the black hawk up full with people and then slamming it into the sea on take off.

What do i do? i don't get in a helicopter unless im the pilot or its my clan mates there are just too many morons who get a kick out of doing things such as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom