So.. Does the free DAOC trial really work?

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
This weekend I managed to persuade a friend to play DAOC for the first time!

We visited the webbie and filled out the forms, downloaded the client (noting that the percentage done bar clearly doesnt cope with the size of the download, it was 100% full after only about 1/3 was downloaded). Anyway, the problem is bascially that he didnt recieve the e-mail that should be sent with his password / account details etc.

After 4 days of waiting for an email, we filled out the forms again, and waited and waited... Still no reply..

So, the question is, does this stuff work? What could have gone wrong?

Im a games programmer myself, so you can discount the usual n00b errors. I even sat and said 'make sure you type your email address correctly' and checked the forms myself as I know a small error there could cause problems.

Ive checked that he has no spam filters installed, so its not being 'diverted' elsewhere. It just seems that his mail isnt being dispatched.

Any help appreciated.

Tilda

The last time I tried it worked fine.
Have you tried registering with a non-webmail address? Firstly because hotmail accounts often delay messages but a up to a day or so. Secondly because some webmail accounts will automatically block noreply email addresses.
I passed this on to GM's and they will test and report back :)

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
never had problems with emails from GOA

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
could you be using an email account already registered with GOA? they dont seem to be able to cope with having multiple accounts on one email (unless you do it through the subs screen :) )

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
The last time I tried it worked fine.
Have you tried registering with a non-webmail address? Firstly because hotmail accounts often delay messages but a up to a day or so. Secondly because some webmail accounts will automatically block noreply email addresses.
I passed this on to GM's and they will test and report back :)

Hmm he could try an alternative email I guess, he is using a hotmail account, but although that can take an hour or so to retrieve the mail it usualy gets through. Maybe try that later.

As for auto blocking noreply emails, I would have thought that hotmail would at least dump them in a 'spam' bin or something, he doesnt have any mail redirection setup.

Thanks for all replies.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
rampant said:
could you be using an email account already registered with GOA? they dont seem to be able to cope with having multiple accounts on one email (unless you do it through the subs screen :) )

def not, first time hes played DAOC or any GOA title.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
I just tested the system and I can confirm it all works. If you're signed up with an email address that's already in the system then you get a notification email asking you to sign up again with a different email address.
We have had problems with Hotmail in the past as they have implemented stronger anti-spam filters. Very often it seems that emails from noreply addresses get filtered before they even reach the mailbox. This doesn't seem to be a cast-iron rule however as we have many customers who use Hotmail who presumably receive their various emails from us just fine..
Can he try signing up with a non-Hotmail address or add goa.com to his whitelist?

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
pm me if you need a free gmail address invitation - GOA emails get through to them no problem

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Can he try signing up with a non-Hotmail address or add goa.com to his whitelist?

After checking again tonight it seems hes not actually using a hotmail account, hes got a btinternet mail address and is using outlook. There appears to be no filtering options set, he has no 'junk/spam' mail basket and nothings been redirected to his deleted items.

Ill get him to try with a different email provider / address and see if that has more luck and report back.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Well its been over a day since we tried again, using a different email from a different provider, he gets plenty of mail and spam from both accounts from various places. He uses both email accounts often and has never had any problems with missing mail in the past.

I dont know what to suggest, but I get the feeling that trying again with another email account is not going to be the solution, and I cant see any form of mail redirection setup or any options to 'whitelist' contacts in outlook, given that he has no mail redirection or spam filtering setup at the moment. Though please let me know if you know of any steps he should be taking to make sure that goa.com mails get though using outlook.

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
I re-opened my accounts just after you made this post Boni and can confirm i recieved no emails from GOA stating my accounts had just been re-opened. I guess at the time of posting there were problems on GOA's side with the sending of emails.

Hmm, alittle off-topic here..but say you have a US daoc acc you obtained long ago via a free-trial, is there anyway you can get some 'free 14 try out' on that acc again or is the only way to actually activate that acc again?

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
I've just tested it as well and no email after an hour on my business email address - it has no spam filters on at all atm.

Seems like there's a problem somewhere.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Hmm, alittle off-topic here..but say you have a US daoc acc you obtained long ago via a free-trial, is there anyway you can get some 'free 14 try out' on that acc again or is the only way to actually activate that acc again?

only actully activate that account... or you can make a new trial account...

spajdr

Fledgling Freddie
Im trying to buy license (8£) for DAOC + 4 datadiscs, but problem is same, i didnt get any email, what is my option now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom