snowboarding

O

old.Xarr

okay here's my stab at a healthy topic ;)

any snowboarders here? i know a few you of do (sfxman and another who posted a pic, sorry forgot who it was). i started snowboarding for the first time this season and i gotta say it certainly beats skiing. i've been skiing all my life (slalom, telemark etc), but theres something special about the snowboard style :)

i've hurt myself badly, but it's all in good fun ^^

... shoulder hurts, must get pain-killers :D

S

SFXman

I never done skiing, but I just loved snowboarding the first time 4 seasons back, it just rocks :)
Yeah, you do occasionally tend to hurt yourself. On my first season of snowboarding I somehow managed to get a blood "gathering", or whatever you want to call it, in my chest. Couldn't move for a good week :rolleyes:
You really don't get that hurt anymore after a few seasons... unless you try something completely insane. I mean, I've bailed off a few damn huge boxes after a few seasons and I barely got hurt... bet I would've died if I had just started snowboarding :)
The box had a gap of around ~15 meters and in the while going for a stalefish I started turning backside and this resulted in me slamming down on the landing at a 90 degree angle, so that my heel edge caught... ouch... but nothing. You learn to absorb the bails :D
Still, so much fun and that's what counts :p

E

Euthanasia.

I'm a ski-er >.<
But I'm going out again in a week and gunna try my hand at snowboarding for the first time.

S

SFXman

All I can say is that you will have an extremely sour behind and a damn stiff back after the first day at snowboarding :D

O

old.job

Snowboarder retired, still got the board and Burton clip-ins on my wall, much easier than skiing over rough terrain I feel, but straight line can be dodgy!!!!
Chamonix and Val-Disere for me, no I'm not a yuppie, but my first day in Val-D, a guy gets out a Range Rover and shouts his mate across the street

"Tarquin, do you want the Moet putting in the basket?"

Think that about sums the place up.

D

-dewey-

I find snowboarding alot easier than skiing and it hurts ALOT less when you fall, like SFX said though, you have a really sore ass after your first day ;)

Ohhh and what are you planning on snowboarding on? Real snow or artificial stuff? I learnt on real and the first time I tried it on fake stuff I found it much harder. It hurts alot more when you fall too, I knocked myself out on fake stuff the other month ;)

Nothing beats snowboarding on fresh powder though, best feeling ever :) Just wish I could go more often :(

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Wow... SFX wrote an... essay!

That was like a ten-line post!! Gratz!:D

O

old.Xarr

Originally posted by SFXman
I never done skiing, but I just loved snowboarding the first time 4 seasons back, it just rocks :)
Yeah, you do occasionally tend to hurt yourself. On my first season of snowboarding I somehow managed to get a blood "gathering", or whatever you want to call it, in my chest. Couldn't move for a good week :rolleyes:
You really don't get that hurt anymore after a few seasons... unless you try something completely insane. I mean, I've bailed off a few damn huge boxes after a few seasons and I barely got hurt... bet I would've died if I had just started snowboarding :)
The box had a gap of around ~15 meters and in the while going for a stalefish I started turning backside and this resulted in me slamming down on the landing at a 90 degree angle, so that my heel edge caught... ouch... but nothing. You learn to absorb the bails :D
Still, so much fun and that's what counts :p

cool stuff.

i haven't done any huge jumps yet, i kinda want to have full control over my snowboard before i start doing really crazy shit :D

awesome feeling when you start to get better and do cool stuff

O

old.Xarr

best experience yet was riding off-piste in powder snow, that beats anything hands down :)

S

SFXman

Originally posted by old.job
Chamonix and Val-Disere for me
Yuh, Chamonix was great. Was there last winter for a good few weeks. Loved it, the powder was excellent at the time but unfortunately it was a bit cloudier at the time so there was rarely a sunny day.
Still, we found some awesome spots for builiding kickers and each day was just summed up by the extremely cheap beer and bar rounds :D
Go South Pub! ...and.. and... Wild Wallabies!
Originally posted by -dewey-
Ohhh and what are you planning on snowboarding on? Real snow or artificial stuff? I learnt on real and the first time I tried it on fake stuff I found it much harder. It hurts alot more when you fall too, I knocked myself out on fake stuff the other month

Nothing beats snowboarding on fresh powder though, best feeling ever Just wish I could go more often
There is a major difference between so-called fake snow and actual snow. The "fake" stuff is always packed with the snow cats and thus the hardness... this is always done for the simple fact that the "fake" stuff has a tendancy to be quite wet actually and doesn't really work as powder... they pack it also so that the slopes don't become just a huge series of bumps towards the end of the day as people carve down the slope.
Natural snow a.k.a powder is the best though, by far... so wonderful as a landing for a kicker/quaterpipe you have built, so damn fun to carve down or might I say float down :)

O

old.Tohtori

Made a snowboarding game..that count? :p

Know every damn burton and billabong and stalefish and wet cat and...ngh... too much snowboarding info in head

U

umilard

I started late in the last season.. Try to go boarding when i have time. I still suck badly, and probably always will, but it's damn fun :D

D

Derric

Started snowboarding the 93/94 season,haven't done a lot the two last seasons though...all of a sudden we got english weather here in Sweden so all snow just disappeared.

O

old.job

Still, we found some awesome spots for builiding kickers and each day was just summed up by the extremely cheap beer and bar rounds

Ahh, you poor Scandinavin types, the beer is expensive to us :D

S

SFXman

Originally posted by old.job

Ahh, you poor Scandinavin types, the beer is expensive to us :D
Beer costs twice as much here as it did in Switzerland and France where we built those kickers etc...
I didn't quite comprehend your statement there but oh well :)
Beer is expensive for us finnish people at least, well... compared to France/Switzerland.
all of a sudden we got english weather here in Sweden so all snow just disappeared.
Hehe, it sucks... I know... we got the +0.5 celcius or so today compared to last night's, or the day before, -25 celcius.
The worse is when it becomes a bit on the positive side and then after a few days goes back to a good bit of minus... snow at slopes suck, unless there has been snowfall since it went below zero.

O

old.Xarr

yeah we're having very mild weather here too with some rain (!!!) so the slopes were closed today =/

hoping to get some real snow in the next couple of days :D

O

old.job

Yup I, meant your beer is utterly fookin unbelievably expensive, it beggars belief you swe/fin/nor's can afford to get drunk.

£24 for 3 single bacardis, without mixer!!!!

T

Tasans

I've been skiing almost all my life and snowboarding just a few years. At first i liked it but then went back to my skis :)
Granted you can go much faster with the board, but the skis have better stabillity. Nothing beats a good, fast paced slalom imo :)
Oh and going at max speed with 2m visibility rocks, i always choose the bad weather days to go skiing :)

S

Sigurd

I tried snowboarding on a sledge. Fucking painful.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Derric
Wild Wallabies rocks! :D
True, love watching the snowboarding/skiing movies while playing fu"z"ball with a nice cold beer next to me.
I almost keeled over laughing when I saw some names of drinks there :D
I've been skiing almost all my life and snowboarding just a few years. At first i liked it but then went back to my skis
Granted you can go much faster with the board, but the skis have better stabillity. Nothing beats a good, fast paced slalom imo
Oh and going at max speed with 2m visibility rocks, i always choose the bad weather days to go skiing
I don't find going fast the best part really, although I admit that on a huge powder run or long & wide slope it is extremely fun, but instead I think riding powder and going off natural kickers or little jibs is the creme de la creme of it all.
Pipe and park go nicely too, but nothing beats a "dream-come-true powder region" of some mountain in central europe for example.
Hehe... there was one horrible day in Verbier, the visibility was fuck all and we had gone up to the highest station... coming down was scary to say the least. We followed some other people in front of us but you could not recognise where the slope and huge drop met... :eek7:

D

drummer

Always skiied , never snowboarded , bit silly you have to sit on your bum every time you stop :clap:

S

SFXman

Originally posted by drummer
Always skiied , never snowboarded , bit silly you have to sit on your bum every time you stop :clap:
Not really :eek7:
Where'd you get that one from?
Strange, I never noticed that.

D

drummer

Well I never saw someone standing up straight while standing still ona board . Could be they are just lazy ........:eek:

S

SFXman

Originally posted by drummer
Well I never saw someone standing up straight while standing still ona board . Could be they are just lazy ........:eek:
Often done when waiting in a group of snowboarders to have your turn at a jump/kicker/box/tabletop/gap.
Possible, but why bother really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom