Sky

soze

I am a FH squatter
So about 30 days ago my Sky HD box died. Where i live we have multi room in 4 rooms all running Sky HD and have everything on the pack including Internet and Phone. So when i called they said bla bla £125 quid and i said "Listen we pay that a month so fix it free or we might as well cancel" and empty threat but worth a shot. She put me though to another department who agreed to send me the box if i sign a 12 month contract on HD on it so i said yes.

Now the best part, today the Sky just dies and when i call the first lady i spoke to just put though the request to cancel, and now my TV is gone and the Web is next. And Sky said there is nothing they can do but i can re subscribe if i like.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
lol, bet it'll be a right fuck around to get them to sort it out aswell.

shame there's no decent alternative

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I really don't understand Sky's policy with the replacement of boxes. If you are in a contract then your box should be covered. It's silly that they want you to pay to fix a box that is largely useless outside of a sky sub.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Might be worth having a look at virgin? They do a hd box and you can get all the sky sports/movie channels for an additional fee i think Dunno how much more expensive it would be but the 50mb internet is the bomb :p

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
From personal experience and yip i reluctantly still have em - Virgin suck! :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
Might be worth having a look at virgin?

I had a look yesterday but it tells me they do not do Fiber Optic in my area so no quick internet and no TV i think. My big problem is the internet as Sky have been so much better than BT. My only LLU choices are Sky, Easynet (Sky), TalkTalk, Bulldog (TalkTalk) and Tiscali who also seem to be TalkTalk. I really do not want to go back to BT so it looks like TalkTalk :(

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I'd check the law on that mate. Under the consumer goods act the retailer, in this case Sky, should have a legal responsibility to replace equipment that develops a fault on it's own.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I'd check the law on that mate. Under the consumer goods act the retailer, in this case Sky, should have a legal responsibility to replace equipment that develops a fault on it's own.

They did they gave me a brand new box then cut me off :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

For the first year yes, sky "sell" you the box, it's your property so they don't service it after the initial year.

Oh and Soze, fiber is not a pre-requisite for Virgin. You only need to be in a fibre area if you want the 50mb speeds (and even then their network is not truly fibre in these areas, it's a combination) With the normal cable you'll quite happily get 20mb or more (consistently), and that's a damn lot more than you'll get on Sky ADSL. Same with the TV options, you'll lose some HD channels, but you'll gain a lot of interactive stuff. Cost wise per month it will probably work out the same.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I will give them a call later if i can get virgin tv I will. I have managed to save Sky Broadband a very helpful guy sorted it all out. I would hate to leave Sky the speed i get destroys what i had from BT before 18mb is about my average speed.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Noooo!! This could be the end for our tv relationship!!

We will be fine i have not watched anything other than Sport or the BBC on my Sky box for years :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
*sighs*

Phew!! For a moment there I thought I was truely lost!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I will give them a call later if i can get virgin tv I will. I have managed to save Sky Broadband a very helpful guy sorted it all out. I would hate to leave Sky the speed i get destroys what i had from BT before 18mb is about my average speed.

With Virgin 20mb, you'll get full speed, there is no up to bollocks as there is with adsl. You'd save more getting the whole package.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
"Full speed", until you download 3.5GB between 4pm-9pm, then you'll be stuck on a 5Mbit connection for 5 hours.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
So about 30 days ago my Sky HD box died. Where i live we have multi room in 4 rooms all running Sky HD and have everything on the pack including Internet and Phone. So when i called they said bla bla £125 quid and i said "Listen we pay that a month so fix it free or we might as well cancel" and empty threat but worth a shot. She put me though to another department who agreed to send me the box if i sign a 12 month contract on HD on it so i said yes.

Now the best part, today the Sky just dies and when i call the first lady i spoke to just put though the request to cancel, and now my TV is gone and the Web is next. And Sky said there is nothing they can do but i can re subscribe if i like.

What sort of box did they send to you? I got Sky HD on self install (upgrading from Sky+) in June and they sent me a old box which broke within a month. When I got it replaced the technician bloke brought a new up to date box with him. The box is smaller than my old one, and he was suprised I was under warranty and had only had it 1 month because he hadn't installed a box like mine for a over a year. I bet they sent you a piece of crap.

I suppose the key is, when you sign back up for another 12 months get them to include another 12 months on the box. Strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

I am with Sky, but would have no problems moving to Virgin if Sky got arsey with me wanting me to pay for them to come out.

Going up £3 also in a month or so, bastards.

collegien

Can't get enough of FH

Ok i admit to being puzzled buy this.
They agree to send you a box if you sign a new contract. You say yes.
They send you a box. With a new contract, and I assume a std guarrantee [as its a new contract.] So if your box goes wrong you have a guarantee therefore it gets sorted.

Then i read that you can re subscribe. But you just did to get a new box??

So IMO get on to the chief dood and give im ELL !!

Or have i missed summat. I probably have as no one else mentioned it. :/

soze

I am a FH squatter
Ok i admit to being puzzled buy this.
They agree to send you a box if you sign a new contract. You say yes.
They send you a box. With a new contract, and I assume a std guarrantee [as its a new contract.] So if your box goes wrong you have a guarantee therefore it gets sorted.

Then i read that you can re subscribe. But you just did to get a new box??

So IMO get on to the chief dood and give im ELL !!

Or have i missed summat. I probably have as no one else mentioned it. :/

A month ago my box broke and they wanted to charge for a repair. I told the first lady i spoke to that we might as well cancel sky as im not paying for a repair. She passed me to lady two who agreed to send me a "new" HD box as long as i subscribed to the HD pack for a year. As i already paid this i said yes.

Now one month later it turns out lady one put though my cancellation request even though she passed me onto someone else and everything is turned off and I have no Sky. They are offering to turn everything back on but i am going to see what I can get out of them first :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I would be very careful. A similar thing happened with my with O2 a couple of years ago, I was shopping around for a new mobile so changed to orange while keeping my O2 handset, I had a few discussions with O2 over deals, I wanted the new customer offer but was an existing customer, I said pretty much the same thing, I told them I might cancel if I can't get the deal but would leave it a month to shop around. I wasn't happy with orange so sent that back under the 2 week (i think it was) returns policy, cancelled the contract no problems. I then phoned O2 and ordered a new handset, actually getting the new customer deal in the end. 2 weeks later my phone stopped working and I got a bill for £650. Obviously I was livid so phoned them up and got them to sort it out. They told me there was nothing they could do to re-activate my number and that if I returned the phone they would cancel any charges. I had to sign up to a brand new contract in the end.

Anyway, a year later I got a final demand out of the blue again requesting £650 or they take me to court. It took a lot of fucking about and calls to their call centre to get it all sorted out, I eventually got them to wipe the charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom