Site development

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
My own site is getting close to opening. Still got some issues to resolve and a great many new companies to put on etc. Blocking Firefox and Opera for now. Infact gonna ban Opera entirely cos the site is using divs a lot and godknows wot Opera does to em. Firefox is making a bit of a mess of the lower menu at the moment but I will get around that intime. Just can't be bothered to spend time on it now when there is so much other stuff to be getting on with.

Stuck some novel pages on there such as the 'Bag a Bargain' page :D . Bit of a laugh where you can shoot the birds and get a prize. Makes me smile anyways.

Hell it sure is a lotta work developing a site though. Still got one half to finish off before I can tackle the other. One half is Website locating and viewing with the other side devoted to javascripts, forums and portal code.

Only use explorer if you decide to take a peek cos there is a sniffer in operation and you will be blocked if using Firefox or Opera.

Sites-4u.com

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
Nice one Thugs, I know what your saying bout setting up sites; tuff stuff. I had a site, gamers fort ‘twas called, never got going sadly… ahh what could have been :mad:

JingleBells

FH is my second home
:puke:

The background overlaps when running in 1280 x 1024 and I would recommend that you add a Doctype your pages and the run the pages through the W3C Validator to fix all the errors that are there. This might make the pages work in Opera and Firefox (personally I don't use IE anymore as its a security nightmare and is full of stupid errors in the rendering engine) and I generally don't think about loading sites in IE just to view them. I would rethink blocking Opera users (at least those who are using the latest version) and try and get your site to degrade elegantly in older browsers (just turn off javascript and disable images and see if you can still use the site as a quick test).

I'm sure Shovel, Gef and Jonty can add a few extra pointers too.

BTW, You can just visit http://sites-4u.com/firstpage.htm in firefox ;)

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
Good points

Some good points there Jinglebells - cheers. Must admit that I had forgotten about the size of the background image.

Too afraid to mess with the site too much at the moment cos the links are all affiliation ones. Also there are about another 25 companies that are going to visit in the next day or so to review it. If they like it they will then allow me to link to them. They never use anything but explorer to do this. Once they are out of the way I can attend to the issues with Firefox and Opera. To be honest there isn't too much to alter. Seems that Firefox is not too happy about the lower menu because of the type of bars I have used. Can easily sort that out. Not taken too much interest in the issues with Opera but hopefully I can overcome them as well.

By the way I can see the different versions of Firefox that people are using cos I have an analytical program running. Did it block your version?

JingleBells

FH is my second home
If you go directly to the domain yes, but i loaded it in IE then copied the URL it loads into firefox,however if I disable javascript i get your blank forwarding page, and from that I can just view the source to grab the URL :)

The buttons don't work very well in firefox, but thats because of the dire code, http://sites-4u.com/mainfade.php has 110 errors, if you fix these it should look much better in firefox.

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
Validator

Damn good that validator. Not surprised there are hundreds of errors. Am a bit hamfisted when I am in a hurry. Been trying all sorts of scripts and obviously not cleaning up after me. Will work my way through the site using that validator. As you say Firefox will probably work ok once these errors are corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom