Single Instance Dungeons in DaoC ?

K

krait

Since i've quit DaoC and started looking at other mmorpg's ,there seems to be an inclination towards single instance dungeons in some other mmorpg's.
These dungeons/areas will be accessable by everyone ,but only the soloer or group will actually be in each "instance" of the dungeon (no over-camping or killstealing etc).Special quests could also be used in conjunction with them as well.
It's basically an old fashioned dungeon crawl. ;)

Everquest is bringing out an expansion of 40 such dungeons ,WoW will have them and Mythica looks like it will have them as well.

The question is..... Would it be possible for the DaoC engine to handle these and would it be a way towards reviving PvE ?

R

rynnor

I think Mythic might try something like this to stave off obsolescence a little bit longer but I bet it would be buggy as hell :)

R

Roo Stercogburn

It sounds like a really good idea.

Only a Mythic dev could answer the question with any accuracy but Mythic would have to make a decision as a company if they wanted to move DAoC in that direction.

I can't see it being possible to remember the dungeon 'state' after you exit since its potentially different for every person that plays and this is compounded by allowing groups: if you remember the state for 2 peeps and its different, which state do you apply the next time both enter together.

It does sound reaaaallllly good though. Wouldn't want every dungeon like that, but it would add a lot of variation :)

R

Roo Stercogburn

Just had a thought:

Single instance RvR / Duel Arenas.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH :D

P

parisienscot

Would be annoying if you get wiped though - no passing rezzers to help you. You'd just have to release and start again - I suppose that makes it more challenging though - so good idea really.

They should also make ones for lower levels too with level caps on them so people can see just how well they do without their precious buffbots ;)

V

Vell

It sounds like a terrible idea to me. Dungeons are the one place that new players can go and reliably find other people to group with. If you took that away, where do you suggest new players meet each other? Sit around outside for half an hour doing nothing while you wait for enough people to turn up to form a group?

Sorry, but this idea gets a thumbs down from me.

What Mythic need to do is introduce more dungeons of the Spindelhalla level, as these are the ones in most demand. The new SI ones are a touch too high imo.

N

Nightchill

Pretty sure there's "normal" dungeons as well as single-instance ones. If a game does concentrate on single-instance ones then I'd expect dungeons to no longer be newbie XPing areas. In WoW the cities might do this, or the low level areas around the cities.

P

parisienscot

Originally posted by Vell
It sounds like a terrible idea to me. Dungeons are the one place that new players can go and reliably find other people to group with. If you took that away, where do you suggest new players meet each other? Sit around outside for half an hour doing nothing while you wait for enough people to turn up to form a group?

Hmm good point, I didn't think of that! Maybe they could have some kind of mini game - (lurifishing for example) while you sit and wait?

K

krait

I'm not sure how the other games are implementing it ,but maybe every time you leave an "instance" it may reset to it's original state.
If 8 groups all want to go to a certain dungeon then each group will have the dungeon to themselves (not sure about limits) ,i suppose it could be used for RvR as well (1 group from each realm).

Would also be good if some dungeons needed certain classes to be within a group for the dungeon to be "conquered" (scouts to shoot an inaccesible target,Infs to climb onto a ledge to press a button,Tanks to break down gates or casters to kill a specific mob that is immune to all damage except the casters damage etc) ...........can dream about that idea anyway ;)

P

parisienscot

Originally posted by krait
Would also be good if some dungeons needed certain classes to be within a group for the dungeon to be "conquered" Infs to climb onto a ledge to press a button,

Actually that suggestion is quite good - if rather amusing. Can just imagine people saying "Damn why are there never any infs lfg - we need our button pusher!!"

and "I hate infs they know they can be rude and get away with it in groups as no one else can push those buttons - and why do they always log first? We can't xp without an inf!!"

But seriously - good ideas however making progress impossible without one specific class should not happen too often as it would just be frustrating if no one of that class was available to join the group.

K

krait

Originally posted by Vell

Sorry, but this idea gets a thumbs down from me.

What Mythic need to do is introduce more dungeons of the Spindelhalla level, as these are the ones in most demand. The new SI ones are a touch too high imo.

I suppose one way to get around it is have an NPC at the always packed border/portal keeps with a list of dungeons to go to.The group leader then chooses which dungeon to go to and then the group gets transported there.
Although more of the normal type dungeons would be good as well.
:)

Y

Yussef

To be honest, most individual dungeon raids are for items or exp. I can't see you getting great items from a 1 group raid. Although in EQ they implemented it as a shop system sort of. More of the dungeons you clear, the better items you can get from NPC's.

K

krait

Originally posted by Yussef
To be honest, most individual dungeon raids are for items or exp. I can't see you getting great items from a 1 group raid. Although in EQ they implemented it as a shop system sort of. More of the dungeons you clear, the better items you can get from NPC's.

Imagine if the rewards matched the difficulty of the dungeon.....would have to be very challenging for lev50's (hard to even get to the end and the end boss being very high level)
The End boss could then drop respec stones or 100% quality high UV items.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom