Sin City

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Well I saw this last night and was pleasantly surprised...

...No scratch that. Pleasant is not a word to assign to this movie.
I've seen the trailers and read the reviews so going into a movie filmed in what seemed like gimmicky black & white (plus colour!) and cliche scripting I wasn't expecting anything more than the odd bit of ultra violence beaded onto a long string of boredom.

Wrong!

It's always, unremittingly and consistantly ultra violent. Dames get into trouble and men with an honor code doing the only thing they know get into even more trouble.

The end (Thats pretty spoiler free!)

This is hard boiled and sickeningly satisfying. Frankly I loved every minute of it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You have to see this. Violent and cheesy, stupid in only a way a comic could be.

Looks like they have plans for 2 sequels, should both be good.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Ch3tan said:
Looks like they have plans for 2 sequels, should both be good.

Don't necessarily break out the bunting yet: most of us said the same thing about The Matrix ;-)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The premise here is different though. It's small stories set within a world, more like a TV series than a movie. Now there is an idea, sin city TV spin-off.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
tv spin offs crap idea:)

but very nice to see graphic novel conversion not about gh3y superheroes for once.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Thats said the batman begins and fantastic 4 trailers were mighty impressive.

Going to watch sin city a few more times, just cant get over what a cool film it is.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure about the Fantastic Four, I have a feeling it may end up being a bit pants or at least nothing special.

Batmin Begins however looks bloody fantastic, read a few reviews now and it's impressed every reviewer greatly.

Could be that Sin City's "Best Comic Book Movie: EVER" title maybe short lived.

We'll just have to wait and see.

ps: With the new Superman movie finishing soon I'm happily looking forward to this years blockbusters :)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
This film is insane. I loved it, the GF didn't. :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Loved it. Most faithful/best comic book adaptation ever. The dialogue was a little forced sometimes (a bit more like theatre than movies) but that's a minor gripe; overall, just stunning.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Didnt notice how much the film actually entirely replicates the scenes from the comic from the telesync i saw. Was a lot more noticable on the big screen.

Anyways, only comic I ever read and followed religiously (even to the point of painting the scene in the comics where Marv is pounding
That Yellow Bastards head into a mushy pulp on the ground after... heh well you know onto a
girlfriend at the time's skateboard) has been gloriously remade for the big screen and big pats on Rodriguez and co for not destroying the sublime feel of the comics.

I wish i hadnt traded my collection for the Nirvana CD collection but the more i see it the more I remember the scenes. Stark black and white silhouettes with a few colour bits. They overdid the colour a tiny bit but all in all 9-10.

Oh took my mum (69) and she was very impressed and I quote "10-10 for effort and 2-10 for film. She didnt like me having the comics half as bad :p

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I thought it was a technical masterpiece, briliantly put together, very good film noir.

Elijah Wood was a creepy bastard. I absolutely loved the first 30-40 mins of this film.

I was so fucking bored for an hour thereafter

Jesus, Clive Owen was shit - they didn't half drag that middle section out, it could have been a lot shorter.

Stared brilliantly, shite in the middle, good in the end.

My verdict? "just ok". My girlfriend and her mates thought it was one of the worst films they've ever seen and my mate thought it was absolutely average.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I think Big G has it spot on -- really enjoyed the first 30 minutes, but by then you had seen just about everything that was good about the film i.e. the setting and the style. The stories were weak at best - macho men saving a succession of scantily clad yet frankly pathetic women. I'm pleased that I went to see it, but it's a long way from being a good film sadly.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Necromonger thread resurrection time.

Just seen it, thought it was good, and loved the noir style - much the same as I loved the 2 Max Payne games.

Which it's put me in the mood to re-install :p

Edit: Props to me for res'ing this thread a year to the day it was last posted to! ;)

DouglasFir

Fledgling Freddie
I watched this again last night on cable - it really is a great film! I can't wait for the sequel! :D

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
fatbusinessman said:
Don't necessarily break out the bunting yet: most of us said the same thing about The Matrix ;-)
Duh. The matrix is one story (where all the new things and the entire concept was revealed in the first movie). Sin City is one city with tons of stories in it. If you happened to miss it, the first movie was actually 3 different stories. So if they keep at it the same way, I cant really imagine how the next two movies aren't going to own as well.

Also, I know people are different, but I cant imagine how anyone can not love Sin City. Certainly they just believe they don't like it, but in reality they really do! :\

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Korax said:
Duh. The matrix is one story (where all the new things and the entire concept was revealed in the first movie). Sin City is one city with tons of stories in it. If you happened to miss it, the first movie was actually 3 different stories. So if they keep at it the same way, I cant really imagine how the next two movies aren't going to own as well.

Also, I know people are different, but I cant imagine how anyone can not love Sin City. Certainly they just believe they don't like it, but in reality they really do! :\

I expect the sequel to be decent because it's largely based on the best of the stories, A Dame To Kill For, but if they make another movie after that, the quality of the source material (IMHO) isn't so hot.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Korax said:

Probably the same reason that some people enjoy being fucked in the rectum by a horse cock and others don't: some love it, some hate it, but it it's arrogant to not accept someone else's opinion/taste.

I on the other hand, overall, didn't like Sin City although I could appreciate the cinematic comic book, film noir style. I thought it started good, but the middle section was so fucking dull that I considered leaving the cinema.

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
Finally saw Sin City yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I liked it mostly for its originality and dark film noir style. Was a bit confused that there were 3 stories in 1 movie though, but maybe i'm too used to Hollywood having 1 story in 1 film ;)

I don't really need a sequel though. I liked it because it was original, not because the stories were exceptionally good or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom