Sidewinder 3D pro drivers for win2k/xp?

V

vofflujarnid

Hi there :)

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder FreeStyle Pro gamepad and I was just wondering if anyone else, who have same or similar gamepads, are looking for drivers/software for win2k/xp. I can't find drivers for my gamepad and the CD the came with my device, has only drivers for windows 95/98.

I have searched the whole Microsoft site for hours but I have found nothing. And as most of you know, there is a hell of a trouble contacting microsoft due to their complicated contacting methods :)

Doesn't sound right to me to just throw my gamepad away and buy and new one just because my gamepad doesn't support drivers for win2k/xp.

Any suggestions comments?

Kind regards.

S

(Shovel)

Not sure about 2K, but XP just has support for them out of the box.

You'll find there's a "Microsoft Sidewinder Auto-Detect" option in the Joystick options.

V

vofflujarnid

Hi again :)

Thanks for your answers. I tried to install the win95/98 driver, but there came a software error. I think I will also need the Gamepad software, so I can configure the gamepad's buttons for the games i'm playing. Don't think win2k/xp have it built-in, will check though.

Thanks again.
Kind regards.

K

Krazeh

2k and xp both come with the sidewinder drivers, just select Sidewinder auto detect in the game controllers panel

S

(Shovel)

And, to my knowledge, the software has been discontinued for 2k/XP. Not sure why though.

I have a couple of Sidewinder devices though, and have not been able to get programmable software for it - not that I ever used it.

It may be something to do with modern games using all eight buttons, whereas when the gamepads were released many games stilled used the old 2/4 buttoned analogue system.

J

Jonty

Just as a general point, although it's not applicable here, but Microsoft are to discontinue their Sidewinder series. It's a shame, since they're good products, but instead they're going to focus on their other hardware projects (XBox, mice, keyboards, routers etc.) Microsoft will probably continue to support their Sidewinder series, but I wouldn't expect any major updates in the future.

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom