SI Europe 1st Quarter 2003

M

Molten Lava

Time to start whining about Goa/Mythic again I guess (yes Im an Alb)

They almost got me keeping my account...but now: SI is gonna come to europe 1st quarter of 2003? So that means the earliest will be march 2003 (otherwise they would have said first month of 2003) WHY??? is it the translation again?? well sorry but thats no excuse anymore...you could have planned translation paralel to the development of SI....so why do we get it later than USA? Why why whine...whine?? why?

P

Psy|:m00:

Put it in perspective, the US are getting SI a year after it was released retail, and so will we (maybe), I don't see the problem here...

O

old.Tzeentch

Because it's not finished.
And then we still have to catch up to whatever patch SI will run from.
Then there is the planning, about distribution, marketing, server increase? etc.

I think they gave a vague date for a reason.

S

SilverHood

GOA are shooting themselves in teh foot by holding back the english patches

All they have to do is create a seperate login server for Excalibur and prydwen.

They have one for gorre, how hard can another one be to set up?

personally, the game is on it's last legs for me..... I'm waiting for PvP, and if that wasn't coming, I'd be long gone... there is nothing in this game to keep us playing, apart from the few frie

The english servers could be run at the same version at the US ones, but GOA decides this is bad because it will mean, ehm? what will it mean? More english players, so they have to hire a new english GM? French and germans playing on excal and prydwen to get the latest patches? No problems with that either...

GOA are shooting themselves in the foot, and we're the ones feeling the pain :(

J

Jiggs

wouldn't mind even if english servers were one month behind....

M

Melodic

Originally posted by Molten Lava
Time to start whining about Goa/Mythic again I guess (yes Im an Alb)

They almost got me keeping my account...but now: SI is gonna come to europe 1st quarter of 2003? So that means the earliest will be march 2003 (otherwise they would have said first month of 2003) WHY??? is it the translation again?? well sorry but thats no excuse anymore...you could have planned translation paralel to the development of SI....so why do we get it later than USA? Why why whine...whine?? why?

actually i think you'll find that first quarter 2003 means March at the latest....

But even so it stinks that we will likely be getting SI 3 months after the States.

C

cjkaceBM

Hmm now lets see.

US will get the expansion approximately 12 months after the release of DAoC.

If it launches in March over here then so do we.

Its also worth noting that even people that don't buy SI will still get the new engine etc (just not be able to play the new races or visit the new lands) so that would say that the engine will be synchroed to the patches, meaning that GOA would have to jump to probably patch 1.55 so as to get it right.

In patch 1.53 theres a new dungeon which will take a lot of translating plus a unique drop generator.

Looks like Spellcraft and Alchemy will be in patch 1.54, again lots of translating.

As for the english should get it first WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES FFS. There are actually more German and French players than English. Why should they have to wait for patches?

D

Damon_D

They dont have to m8 , just make the whole bloody game english... and if you cant understand english go play MARIO BROTHERS !!! Who the hell have heard about UO or Diablo getting translated or EQ for that matter. Dont the german and french server players dare complaint about why they have to wait for pathces.. its bloody well your fault it has to be translated in the first place.

O

old.Normengast

Originally posted by cjkaceBM

As for the english should get it first WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES FFS. There are actually more German and French players than English. Why should they have to wait for patches?

Errrr... Because it is originally programmed in English?

L

-Lonewolf-

Exactly what I was gonna say Normenghast

In my point of view I can see no real clear reason why they cannot run the English servers on the same patch as the American ones

I cannot see one because frankly there is no reason, like someone said GOA is shooting themselves in the foot because they are potentially losing customers to the superior American patching, all be it Mythic made the game so kinda makes sense why patching is so fast ;) :(

F

fl3a

on the subject 'why cant uk run the same patches as us?' Kemor once explained it quite simply: for example, there is a quest called 'villian hunt'. k, well in us, u gotta get 3 bandit ears. but in uk version we have got no bandits, we have got robbers. so, u cannot get those bandit ears off robbers, ey?

to look at it, i dunno why they didnt keep the us 'bandit' version but instead turned it to 'robber'. maybe cuz it is uk ;)

oh, and btw, why does daoc europe get translated. a question: what country does GOA come from? france afaik. so, GOA will get much more clients if they can sell it to their french ppl also. i doubt we would have all those people that are playing on french servers atm to come over to english servers, i doubt they would have ever bought the game.

so, from a business pov it is much more profitable for GOA to have german, french and english versions in europe.

O

old.Krusha

Originally posted by fl3a

---snip----
oh, and btw, why does daoc europe get translated. a question: what country does GOA come from? france afaik.
----snip

the ONLY reason imho... if it were a (for an example) a Brittish company that got to be responsible for DAoC.EU then there wouldnt be no separate french/german/rest servers ... its like movies ;)

L

lairiodd

One point to note is that the new graphics engine functions with version 1.52 of the game .... the class team leads are testing it in america atm. Dunno how hard it would be but there seems no reason why Goa couldnt provide us with the graphics engine as soon as SI is released even if we arent at the same patch level as america. Then release the SI pack when it is translated. This would have the main benefits:

1) We get one of the big benefits of the expansion pack at the same time as Mythic's servers (great for goa customer retention and would really make the player base happy)
2) This would benefit all Goa customers equally ... talk of giving us patches earlier than French/German customers just generates friction with people who make up the majority of Goa's customer base, i.e. this is a bad move (and goa arent going to generate resentment in the majority of their player base even if it is reasonable and requires only slight modifications for them to implement. <which we dont know as we dont have access to the technical details of implementing a multi client log in>)

This assumes that the new graphics engine is in fact a patch and not part of the SI expansion. There seems to be an assumption that they are 2 separate things ... but I have never seen a link to any Mythic statement to that effect. In fact, on the SI website they say that the graphics engine is one of the features of the expansion. ... but they may mean its to be released at the same time as SI.

Having said that even if the graphics engine is part of the expansion maybe Goa could release the engine anyway at maybe 50% of the price of the expansion and release the content at 50% cost when its done.

F

fl3a

oh, and btw, be happy, PvP will only be in english :p

C

cjkaceBM

The engine upgrade to the existing game was stated at the Round Table Mythic hosted, but word of it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Look at it this way though.

If they migrate all DAoC users to the new engine then they only have to do one patch. I would say that with an old engine and a new engine that patches would have to be different, and there's no way that Mythic are that stupid!

Is there?

O

old.Laryssa

See it as an advantage that we lag behind...

US do all the mistakes and we can learn from their experiences ;)

K

Kralen

Why do we need to catch up with the US? Why oh why?

At the US, DaoC is running a lot more longer and if you think of the translation work, we in Europe get our patches very fast and nice I think.

Can't you guys play the game without SI or with the newest patches?

It is an advantage, I tell advantage, if the US runs always with higher patches. All the bugs all the mistakes will happen on the US first. Only good for us.

And we getting SI in the same time like US, that is about 12 month after DaoC was released in US (or Europe).

Play the game as it is, and if a patch comes be happy. But don't whine around cause you don't have the things the others have.

G

gengi

Play the game as it is, and if a patch comes be happy. But don't whine around cause you don't have the things the others have.

Well said Kalena. I enjoy the game, I like the patches I am looking forward to shrouded isles but if it doesn't come for another 6 months so what ? Is my enjoyment reduced ? no . Will I still get patches ? yes . Will Shrouded Isles turn up in my local Game one day ? sure and I will probably have two copies on pre-order.:D (I will probably also be at work in the middle of the Gulf of Guinea, but the wife can collect them :p )
So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride, it may be a little bumpy but whats a ride without a few bumps ;)

Later

Gengee

T

talen_sun

on the subject 'why cant uk run the same patches as us?' Kemor once explained it quite simply: for example, there is a quest called 'villian hunt'. k, well in us, u gotta get 3 bandit ears. but in uk version we have got no bandits, we have got robbers. so, u cannot get those bandit ears off robbers, ey?

WHAT????

Have you even PLAYED on Excal or Prydwen???

We have cutpurses and bandits, not robbers..... thus, no need for translation.. seeing as the English language was formed by the English, and not Americans...

(And yes, i know that english is a bastardised version of latin/french/german/blah/blah/blah)

R

Rasp

The problem with a Q1 2003 release is that Shadowbane and SWG are due out at the same time. For me, moving to a new game will be a priority before moving to a DAoC expansion.

Rasp.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Erm....Is Italy in europe? From my days doing geography at school, im sure it was then and is now, so how come they got their own servers and web site? And why do Germans, French and English gotta share?

Worst thing for us brits is the cheap as chips pipe line we got to europe thats always dropping!

US got lots of servers, so what about the other countries Mythic distribute to, have they got their own too, and its just us 3 sharing?

Make it english accross the board, or this translating will put us further behind again, with 3 or 4 patches due out and SI too, your gonna be too damn busy to get this all on schedule.

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by old.Krusha

the ONLY reason imho... if it were a (for an example) a Brittish company that got to be responsible for DAoC.EU then there wouldnt be no separate french/german/rest servers ... its like movies ;)

bollocks. All the mob names are identical at any identical patch between Excal+Pryd and any american server. Likewise all items names, skill names, RA names, help files, NPC dialogs, EVERYTHING.

S

starblade

You've all been reading ahead too much, like opening Christmas pressies but not allowed to play with them :p

No matter what they do, GOA will always be flamed ... OR by the people wanting all the future goodies like NOW, .... OR by the people yelling not to patch because there is too much 'nerf'.

Just scroll up a bit and read the posts from Kralen and Gengi ... at least they know how to fully enjoy a game as it is :p

/salute you 2, nice to find some likeminded sould amongst the endless "patch"-complaining.

L

lairiodd

Its also worth noting that even people that don't buy SI will still get the new engine etc (just not be able to play the new races or visit the new lands)

Seems not, this is a question I asked with Rightnow:

1) if you dont get the expansion pack, will the new graphics engine be provided as a patch or is the graphics engine part of the expansion, so that only those with the expansion get the benefit of the new graphics engine and 2 separate clients will be used depending on what type of account the subscriber has ?

2) I assume that in the event of you having 2 accounts, the expansion packs will have some kind of CD-Key so you need 1 per account. Is that true or false.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They replied:

Hello,

- The upgraded graphic engine will only be available with the add-on. That said, some new textures will be available through the patch.

- You will need one copy of Shrouded Isle for each account you want to upgrade.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so you basically get a patch with all the new races etc's textures so you can see them, and that is the full extent of the benefit of SI unless you buy the expansion pack.

So this engine upgrade by patch is a myth. Byw, if anyone actually has a link to where mythic say otherwise, it is possible that goa are misinformed

P

PJS

Its because GOA are French and we are English. We dont like each other. Its because most of the players on the French/German servers can speak English. Lets face it you just cant play games online if you dont speak some English, all the major developers in the world write in English. The instant GOA puts up a separate login to a USA current patched English language server, the French & German servers are history. Therefore the translators will no longer be required. Therefore they will be putting their own staff out of a job if they do it.
Maybe thats why theres no advertising in England. Once they reach a stage where there are more English servers than the other languages Mythic might force them to run on the same patch to try to keep the largest number of customers happy.

M

Molten Lava

Good idea

No translators = no need to hire those people = lower cost for us = 9 euro/month...wheeeeeeee

Also remove all the Spanish players from Excal and Pryd pls or give them some new server named "Juan Carlos" so we dont have to listen to the Spanish crap all over the place all the time...

For example: all the Scandinavian, Dutch, Belgian, Russian, Israeli guys/girls only talk their native language in their own guild/chatgroup...not spamming us at Castel Sauvage with "hola! Dos cervazas por favor, Manual" At least I TRY to talk/write English (which doesn't work to well as you can see)

Internet = English
Daoc = Online game from US company = English

/em waits till people start bitching about how many speak Spanish in the world...or Chinese

V

VidX

GOA = French

Mythic Licence to GOA = English EU AND French and German language versions of DAoC.

As for why should the English servers have to wait for the French and German patches to be translated = 'cause.

If you want to play the latest patches and can't be arsed to wait for GOA to translate, test, and then rollout the French and German languages too, go play in the US. Easy as that. But don't whine about the time difference, raids being held at 3 or 4am CET/BST.

Personally, I don't have a problem waiting a while for the patches to come out, simply because I hate having to get used to changes in class abilities, am dreading the new spell icons, and am still playing around with my /respec.

Regarding the engine upgrade: yip, it's only available for those who purchase the SI expansion, as the new races and new realm zones will only be available to those who purchase the expansion. You will be able to get the new races textures and models from the non-SI patch, can still group and fight the new races.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom