SI client now?

A

Affri

A friend of mine bought SI (the US version) and I tried it out. Gotta say it's quite nice. Had no real RvR lag in minor zerg with /effects all 800*600 resolution with all details set to max. System specs are 1.2 T-Bird, 512 MB DDR RAM and a GF2 GTS.

Now I'm wondering if it by any means is possible to use the SI client (graphical engine) on the european servers?

O

old.Tzeentch

Hope it is possible.. but what I've read so far, you can only use the expansion (even if only the engine) with an SI activated account.

O

old.LandShark

What Tzee said.
Got to say they did an amazing job improving the compatability/performance though, WP...
Even though they still didn't code the engine themselves, right? Third-party work again

O

old.Xarr

I really doubt it's possible, but one can always hope :)

B

Bleri McThrust

Im sure I read somewhere you can have the updated gfx but not the new islands etc without buying SI.

So maybe it is possible.

A

Archeon

Originally posted by Bleri McThrust
Im sure I read somewhere you can have the updated gfx but not the new islands etc without buying SI.

So maybe it is possible.

you can play DAoC without the SI expansion, however you can only see the see the new classes. you can't play them and you can't visit the new areas.

i'm fairly sure the graphics are a part of SI, but i'm not pretending to be some sort of authority on the matter so i'l leave that one up in the air (the fancy way of saying, this is what i think but i'm not sure if i'm right :))

M

mele-nko

Actually there is a way to run only the engine, before SI went live or even in beta for the public. Insiders from Mythic were already running with the engine in the normal game.
The tested out the new grafical effects, and big scale rvr battles with the new engine.
Later that engine was incorporated in SI, and now a lot of ppl are playing with it :)

The part we need to know is....Is it possible for someone who has SI, to extract the files from the gfx engine and sent them to the non-SI'rs over here in Europe. I do think there is a way, but it's unlikely we'll ever get it :/

Furthermore imo a new gfx engine should be in a patch. I should not have to pay for something which should have been in the original.
The fact that they make a game with a gfx engine who can't run his game with more then 5fps in typical rvr is just lame. The engine should be free for all....if u want some more goodies, u need to buy the expansion ~

C

Chenuba

I've read somewhere that, "when SI is out, there'll be a downloadable patch, so all players, with or without SI, will run the new gfx-engine".

B

Bleri McThrust

Originally posted by Chenuba
I've read somewhere that, "when SI is out, there'll be a downloadable patch, so all players, with or without SI, will run the new gfx-engine".

Yep thats what I read.....

Was probably in a grab bag or something. However as with all these things it probably got changed.

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Bleri McThrust

Yep thats what I read.....

Was probably in a grab bag or something. However as with all these things it probably got changed.

I belief it indeed did change, and the new engine won't be put in a patch

@Mele: unfortunatly, you buy the game as it is in the box. any patches you get for free are a nice bonus but in no way are they obligated to deliver them

A

Alrindel

Originally posted by Chenuba
This was widely reported by people who attended the "Roundtable" event in Washington D.C. last June; apparently that's what Mythic representatives were saying then: the upgraded graphic engine would be a free patch for all DAoC players.

They never actually put this in writing anywhere, and it is currently not the policy. If you want the new graphic engine, you must buy Shrouded Isles. :(

C

Chenuba

Why not just wait and see what's happening when SI gets here ?

T

Tesla Monkor

It's only at least 3 months waiting. (Probably more.. ;)

A

Affri

Tbh. I can't be arsed waiting so long for a bloddy expansion. I'm really considering buying the US version since my RL mate plays there and I know other people who do as well.

And no, I'm not interested in using the new races and playing the new lands since that of course is simply not possible. What I was interested in, as my title so profoundly says as well, is to simple use the engine ; play with the client.

O

old.job

You HAVE to buy SI to get the new engine, Matt mentions it in the latest interview, but surely they will eventually offer it, cos they'd have to do future patches with both engines in mind.

The present engine renders everything in cliping range ,wether you can see it or not and thats a FULL render of every last detail, that's why you get such bad slowdown even outside a keep when there's loads of peeps inside ,out of view.
Not very good, but let's not forget Mythic was a very small player in the field and need a cheap off the shelf engine.
I'm hoping to see much better framerates in the towns, cos the new engine won't try to render the whole of TIRNOG at once!!!

A

Alrindel

but surely they will eventually offer it, cos they'd have to do future patches with both engines in mind.
No, because both clients can render all models and animations in the game in the basic areas, and the advanced geography/animation/doodads that only work with the SI client will only be found in the SI areas. They can run both versions side-by-side forever without too much extra effort.

I'm hoping to see much better framerates in the towns, cos the new engine won't try to render the whole of TIRNOG at once!!!
My guildmates on Palomides say that this is not the case. In fact one of them specifically said, "if you have a poor framerate inside TNN or Camelot now, then you'll have a poor framerate everywhere in the new zones unless you upgrade your hardware" - unless, perhaps, you play in the smallest possible resolution, with all graphical effects turned off, but what fun is that?

O

old.job

Hmmmmm, this is all very...uncertain:mad:

That's it I've had enough, you can load the US version alongside the Euro one can't you, just need a US server patch.
Do you get a free month on the US servers?

A

Affri

Originally posted by old.job
Hmmmmm, this is all very...uncertain:mad:

That's it I've had enough, you can load the US version alongside the Euro one can't you, just need a US server patch.
Do you get a free month on the US servers?

You need to change some IPs in your update.dat file in order to have DAoC connect to the US servers, hereby downloading the latest patch. Should you wish to have the ability to play on both EU and US you would require two seperate installations.

kthxbye :p

[EDIT]Yes, of course you get a free month ;)[/EDIT]

K

Keri

Originally posted by mele-nko
The part we need to know is....Is it possible for someone who has SI, to extract the files from the gfx engine and sent them to the non-SI'rs over here in Europe. I do think there is a way, but it's unlikely we'll ever get it :/

I think that looks a lot like reverse engineering .. a big no-no.

and the advanced geography/animation/doodads that only work with the SI client will only be found in the SI areas.

Not true .. the new animations are visible in Hibernia, not just in HyBrasil (unless I have misunderstood you).

S

Sarnat

It was the original intent to make the new engine part of a regular patch (available without purchasing SI) but this was dropped because of the size of the engine. Apparently it would have been way over 50MB.

M

Meatballs

omg 50 meg omg thats so huge omg omg omg :(

50 meg on free dial 56k isn't a big deal, it certainly isn't a big deal when you have adsl/cable.

D

decline

Not for us, probably would have been very expensive to purchase bandwidth for thousands of people downloading almost 100 megabytes in one day...

S

Sarnat

Well Meat, as always, people would still whine, no matter what Mythic did.

"WAAAAH!! I can only be on 1h per day and now I can't play because the patch is 120MB WAAAH WAAH It will take me 2123 weeks to download it WAAH!"

G

Gef

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Got to say they did an amazing job improving the compatability/performance though, WP...
Even though they still didn't code the engine themselves, right? Third-party work again

Think they did the right thing, why spend 2 years developing a new engine when you can use someone elses, tried and tested code. Reinventing the wheel ..

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Sarnat
Well Meat, as always, people would still whine, no matter what Mythic did.

"WAAAAH!! I can only be on 1h per day and now I can't play because the patch is 120MB WAAAH WAAH It will take me 2123 weeks to download it WAAH!"

It would be an optional download...

and as GOA are a branch of Wanadoo the bandwidth costs shouldn't be too much of an issue, they could alternatively post it to free ftps such as fileplanet or even here at barrysworld.

G

Gabrial

Originally posted by Meatballs
omg 50 meg omg thats so huge omg omg omg :(

50 meg on free dial 56k isn't a big deal, it certainly isn't a big deal when you have adsl/cable.

eh? My old 56k connection through BT would let me download around 2mb in 10 minutes. so, 50mb patch = 4 hours, 10 minutes to download (although I suppose it depends on your definition of along time I suppose).

I'll grant you ADSL would be faster - I should know, I got it now:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom