SI and NewSI clients no longer supported after 1 feb

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
From the Friday News - thought it would be a good idea to post it make sure everyone see it and dont stand there not being able to log in on feb 1.

"Trials of Atlantis for free from the release of Darkness Rising
As for Shrouded Isles that was offered after the release of Catacombs we will now offer Trials of Atlantis to every player. A "New Trials of Atlantis" version will be released with the Catacombs graphics engine as for "New Shrouded Isles". The Shrouded Isles client will disappear, as in the US since Mythic doesn't support this client anymore since version 1.80. It is not possible to maintain the game with an infinite number of versions that would have to be available in 5 languages in Europe. From the 1st of February you will thus absolutely have to play with a Trials of Atlantis client to log onto Dark Age of Camelot. Basically, here is the process :

Before the 1st of February
- The Trials of Atlantis (ToA) is downloadable for free for everyone.
- New ToA, the ToA client with the Catacombs graphics engine is also available for free for everyone.

We invite all those who use the Shrouded Isles and New SI clients to quickly download the ToA and New Toa clients. However, do not install them right now !

The ToA client is already available for download here.
The New ToA one will be available soon.

On the 1st of February and later
- Darkness Rising is released on the European servers.
- The SI and New SI clients cannot connect anymore, only the ToA, New ToA, Catacombs and Darkness Rising can access the servers.
- If you use a SI client, replace it by installing the ToA client.
- If you use the New SI client, install the New TOA one.

Of course, if you already use a Trials of Atlantis version, you will be able to benefit from "New Trials of Atlantis" but we strongly recommend you Catacombs and Darkness Rising that will offer you fascinating new content".

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Is this just a free download of the client? or does it also come with a cdkey/license?

Jeros

Part of the furniture
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ffs, some of us dont have ninja uber computers, some of us still use the SI client in rvr to reduce lag, as the ToA client produces too much, and for some of us Catas client in rvr is out of the question, darn it, looks like i have to update my pc again.....

:EDIT: crud i dunno if my gf will be able to play in rvr now either :/

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Jeros said:
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ffs, some of us dont have ninja uber computers, some of us still use the SI client in rvr to reduce lag, as the ToA client produces too much, and for some of us Catas client in rvr is out of the question, darn it, looks like i have to update my pc again.....

:EDIT: crud i dunno if my gf will be able to play in rvr now either :/

my pc was also very sucky on the gfx side of performance, but just bought a new motherboard so i could reuse my old cpu/ram, new motherboard have pci-e and then bought a Geforce7800 GT, they are pretty cheap compared to the performanced.

the cheap brand of the 7800 gt comes from Innotek3D

with my old geforce FX5900 I scored like 1100 in 3dmark05 standard settings, now I get 5600+ and I havent even tweaked it yet :)

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
MadsKaizer said:
Is this just a free download of the client? or does it also come with a cdkey/license?
You can already get the client free. Basically if you don't already have ToA, you now get it on your account for free, same as SI was when they stopped supporting the classic client last year.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
you must be running a 6 year old computer to still be using SI client, time to fork out some money and upgrade my 3 year old computer can run catacombs in 1280x1024 without too many problems.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
cata client with everything turned off (looks like SI) >>> any other version for fps lag. even catacombs with everything turned on is virtually lag free even in huge zergs.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
My machine is hardly a ninja PC - Athlon 2.2GHz, 768MB RAM, 6600GT vid card but I can run the cata client with cata character models at 1280x960 windowed and not get much in the way of graphics lag. In big zergs of course I get a bit to start with and I generally have to turn effects and shadows off but once everything settles down I can do big raids without needing to relog to ToA client.
DAoC needs to stay current with other MMOs so you can't expect continuous support for obsolete hardware.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Also, you can still use the old ToA client. You dont have to use the new cata gfx ToA client. Surely there cant be that much difference in performance on old SI vs old ToA? My botcomp that uses a MX440 64meg gfx card can run ToA client in rvr without problem.

Raes

Fledgling Freddie
Either this is a GOA only thing or GOA dont know about there own game, because i still use SI (i dont even have the free ToA) to RvR on Gareth.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Raes said:
Either this is a GOA only thing or GOA dont know about there own game, because i still use SI (i dont even have the free ToA) to RvR on Gareth.
Mythic only support one language and so can continue to develop and test additional clients. Goa support five languages. Each additional client requires us to spend longer testing each version and language combination which increases patch delays.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I thought all the language's had their own teams so it wouldnt make the blindest bit of difference? Like translation atm... or did whoever said that lie? :p

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Earl said:
I thought all the language's had their own teams so it wouldnt make the blindest bit of difference? Like translation atm... or did whoever said that lie? :p
We have separate translation and GM teams for each language which means there's practically no additional delay due to translations. That has little to do with testing however. Although we have several test servers we can't test all five languages simultaneously. More clients = more things to test = longer between patches. Generally we test in English to start with for version stability and serious bugs, then we test in each of the other four languages for a few days each. These last tests are mainly to find translation bugs or other localisation problems. We can be testing several languages at once but the more there is to test, the longer it takes even with simultaneous tests.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Mythic only support one language and so can continue to develop and test additional clients. Goa support five languages. Each additional client requires us to spend longer testing each version and language combination which increases patch delays.

So after 1 feb the delay between patches will be shorter due to not supporting older clients, or with the new DR client this delay will be about the same as it is now?

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
Earl said:

We'd be going from 20 clients for every version to 30 clients for every version - trust me, that make quite a difference. Maybe not for the translation team, but everyone else yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom