Shutdown Hang

S

S-Gray

Hmmm, ever since ive installed Win2000 again, ive noticed that each time i shutdown my Computer, it goes to the

"It is now safe to turn off your Computer" Screen

But, i have to hold the Power Button in 10seconds for it to shutdown.

What would i have to do to re-enable it Auto-Shutting Down?

S

Summo

Sounds like ACPI to me... but I can't suggest a solution.

Did you upgrade your previous version of Windows or did you do a proper clean install (cleared the partition, etc)?

2000 and XP change the structure of the registy (among other things) depending on whether your motherboard support ACPI. Previous versions of Windows didnt even know what ACPI was.

A clean re-install may well fix your problem, unless you've done that already.

S

S-Gray

Yeah, i did a Clean Install..

Gawd this Computer throws out more Problems than anything :/

U

-Ultimate

I have a shutdown problem with xp, i cannot reboot, if i do my monitor goes off and my comp seems to crash (i can't tell though as theres no signal to my monitor when this happens). When i install something new which needs a reboot, i have to shutdown then start up again. Its just a minor annoyance i suppose, i would still like to know whats causing it though.

Win XP
Abit KG7 lite
AMD Thunderbird 1.4
512 ddr ram
GF2 ti 64mb
Audigy soundcard

I've reinstalled a couple of times since i first got XP, and the problem has persisted, never had this problem b4 that when i had win98 on.

Sorry to hijack the thread Grey but as its a thread on shutting down/rebooting thought i'd post here.

S

S-Gray

Ahhh fixed it :D i think

I went on Google and had a look round.. i found one site with this:

In Windows 2000, you must be logged on as Administrator or as a user with administrator privileges. Any network policies in effect must also permit the procedure.
Right-click the My Computer icon on the Windows Desktop; then click Manage.
Select the Device Manager icon in the left pane of the Computer Management window that appears.
Pull down the View menu, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
In the right pane, expand NT AMP/Legacy Support, if present. Right-click the item NT AMP/Legacy Node, and then click Properties.
Select "Use this Device" (enable).

http://204.17.98.73/support/shutdown2000.html anyone who maybe interested

F

FuZor

Nice one :)

Never had the prob myself, but now I know :D

G

greendemon

Originally posted by -Ultimate
I have a shutdown problem with xp, i cannot reboot, if i do my monitor goes off and my comp seems to crash

That sounds just like a problem I had with an Abit board a while back. Amazingly, it turned out to be the keyboard. I had a crappy old IBM Keyboard, swapped it for a nice new MS one, problem solved.

H

Happy Go Lucky

There's nothing you can do about, some ahem older mother boards just won't reboot with xp, nothing short of a bios upgrade will fix it.

bummr , I know m8

Users who are viewing this thread