should i?

N

norwegicus

thought about order this game, im used to Dark age of camelot, but is so sick of it.
is this game worth its money? :D

P

prime-nl

hi nowegicus

i played daoc too
im playing swg now
what i can say about it
swg is just like ultima online
its pretty good
all i miss there is the fantasy part what daoc have
all i can think of
but that r my thoughts

Prime-nl europe-chimera

cya

A

Apocrypha

Very similar story to Prime-nl here...

Played DAoC
Servers went down on the weekend I most wanted to play
GOA offered no decent explanation and kept the servers down until monday afternoon
Bought SWG that monday
Haven't played DAoC since

O

old.Cordain

Moved on from DAOC when I felt it was time to move on.
Trust me its better to leave early when your still having atleast a little bit of fun than to hang on and grow bitter.

And yes I love SWG so far.

N

Nightchill

Same as the replies here. DAoC had grown stale, I moved over to SWG and loving it. Reminds me a lot of UO.

A major factor that seems to confuse ex-daoc player is the "end-game". DAoC is about hitting level 50 when the game really begins (in theory). SWG isn't. Don't rush your xping. Instead, explore all the dungeons (there's plenty for any level), see the sights, visit the PoIs, do the themeparks, and just relax. The game doesn't suddenly shift when you're mastered your ideal professions.

N

norwegicus

sounds great, is it any european servers yet or is it still only yank version? :)

A

amuse

well there is euro servers yes, but its the same version as the US and all that, and u can play on both US and Euro servers, and they get patched at the same time (not like in daoc where the Euro servers where 5-10 monts behind)

i played daoc, and kinda miss it, but GOA and Mythic screwed a good game, and made it a bad game where there was only 1 realm that had it all (midgard).

and aboute the server crash, it was becouse some1 in a strange way had gotn a hold of a game master account (dont ask me how) and started playing, i mean, Appocalypse suddenly apeard in Salisburry plains :p and all the dragons where infront of APK in emain etc. anyways, this has ben fixed and everything is back to normal, exept MANY of the old timers has left, and the guild i once was a member of is no more*cries* (was the best guild ever, not measured in members or RPs, but in how friendly every1 was).

If u are tierd of DaoC, SWG is a nice change.

T

Tenko

I left DAoC a few months ago because I found it, like the above, stale.

Since then I've been playing Planetside and I bought SWG on a whim after reading reviews which werent exactly glowing.

Well they're wrong, this game is very, very good :)

... and is so much like UO at time's I keep on looking for players in Orc masks :)

N

norwegicus

Hope its nothing like anarchy online, played that 1 week and allmost fell asleep behind the comp every time i played it.
Hows the xpìng in SWG? like daoc?, hours of hunting whitout seeing the xp bar move untill you allmost go mad? :)

A

Apocrypha

There is no XP bar in SWG, per se... Instead, it's more of a Morrowind style experience system, ie. the more you use a skill, the more proficient you get in it. For instance, shoot something with a rifle, get Rifle experience. Smack it in the face instead, get unarmed experience. Blow it to smithereens with a Rocket Launcher, get Commando experience ;) But to kinda answer your question, you definately see results for the effort your putting in :)

N

norwegicus

Cant wait until payday :D :D
want to be a medic or healer what ever, whit that imperial cool white armor :p
thanks for answering all my n00b questions :p

N

Nightchill

just remember, there are "no classes". everyone should have Novice Medic just so they can heal themselves with Stim-Bs. likewise you'll need Scout (to harvest resources) and Marksman :) At least to start off with.

N

norwegicus

w00t?
im confused now, so i cant be a medic? :)
where can i get some detailed info about this game, cuz it sounds weird.
but it cant be worse than daoc now can it? :p

N

Nightchill

Of course you can be a medic, I didn't mean to confuse you.

SWG has no *classes*. You could choose Novice Medic at the start, then buy Novice Marksman and Novice Scout. Maybe you become a Doctor then get a bit bored one day. You can drop it and start learning something else.

Most people have a few classes on the go (or ones they just haven't dropped yet). Currently I have:

(Novice) Marksman, Brawler, Medic, Scout, Artisan
(Advanced) TKA, Smuggler, Creature Handler

What I was trying to say was that it's very rare you can get by with just the one class. A medic needs materials for his stimpacs (healing thingies). With novice marksman, you could kill a few things. With novice scout you could Harvest them to get meat. You can then use the meat in your stimpacs.

You can, of course, just buy all the materials you need from the Bazaar but pure-medics often have a hard life making money (Delivery missions only pay so much) :)

N

norwegicus

so if i go and become a doctor.. it will be hard to fight, right?
so, will i be needed in groups? and can doctors rezz dead ppl? or can novice medics rezz as well?
and hows the pvp thingy in SWG? after reading some posts, it seems i can be gunned down just anywhere, is that right? :)

N

Nightchill

good doctors are always welcome in groups, only highly skilled (think it's level 4 on one of the lines) can rezz. on chimaera I'm yet to group with a doctor who can/will.

pvp in swg is purely consensual, you don't have to take any part in the galactic civil war (gcw) if you don't want to. if you do, you can be Covert which means you're (basically) not advertising your affiliation.

A

Apocrypha

pvp in swg is purely consensual, you don't have to take any part in the galactic civil war (gcw) if you don't want to. if you do, you can be Covert which means you're (basically) not advertising your affiliation. [/B]

But unfortunately means you don't get the perks like Faction pets (eg Stormtroopers) or being able to wear Stormtrooper armour.

N

norwegicus

i gonna go get this game to morrow!!! :D
sounds great!
Thanks all, prob see more of my questions when i run around trying to figure out what to do :p
what server do i choose? if i want to be on the one thats most players on?
dont wanna choose one thats got the fewest players on it :)

N

Nightchill

In order of highest to lowest population (for the European servers):

Chimaera
Farstar
Infinity (this is a new one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom