[IRONBREAKER] Short review of the Ironbreaker

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
So, I just thought I'd share my experience with the Ironbreaker in the open beta. I'm currently lvl 14 with it so this might not apply to the endgame play.

Intro
The Ironbreaker is the dwarven tank-archetype. Like any other tank, the ironbreaker can equip the heaviest of armor types and can use 1-handed and 2-handed weapons.

His special treat is Grudge. You build up 5 grudge when you get hit, and 10 grudge when your Oath Friend (more on this later) is hit. Grudge is used for some abilities, but my experience is that it's best to keep your grudge as high as possible. Almost all Ironbreaker attacks get stronger if you have more grudge.

Many attacks of the ironbreaker also give you a periodical (10-20seconds) buff. These buffs can either give you bonus strength, armor, toughness etc. Most of these are defensive in nature.

Oath Friend
You can select a groupmember as being your Oath Friend. Whenever your Oath Friend is hit you gain 10 grudge. Also, the buffs you gain from your various attacks will apply to your Oath Friend as well.

PvE
Playing solo as an ironbreaker is a breeze. You're very tough and you won't die alot. You can easily handle 3 mobs of the same level at a time. Your killing speed is decent. It won't be as fast as the pure damage classes but you're definitally not hitting like a wet towel.
There's also very little cooldown (if at all), but I doubt any class in warhammer, atleast in the early levels, has much cooldown.

In groups you will be the tank. The Ironbreaker does a great job here, I didn't seem to loose agro at all. You have the skills you would expect from a tank, attacks that cause agro/hate and taunt abilities. Ofcourse wearing a big shield and being able to parry helps alot aswell. My Ironbreaker had about 28% chance to block and 7% chance to parry.

PvP
I am VERY impressed in how the ironbreaker perfoms in PvP being a tank class. In scenario's I tried to do as much damage as possible, and was number 1 in damage almost all the time. It's not that your abilities will do so much damage, it's the fact that you will be standing up front constantly hacking & slashing your opponents while you're very hard to bring down, especially when backed up by a healer or two.

For me, my interest lies in RvR. My role here was to protect the squishy targets such as healers and buff the melee guys and at the same time being a constant nuissance in the front of the battle. The IB has great skills to fullfill this role. You can guard a groupmember so 50% of the damage they take is done to you instead. The usefulness of this skill is obvious. The most logical class to cast this on is a healer, keeping them up much longer as they usually are the targets people go for. There's hardly any cooldown on it, so you can constantly cast it on other people who are being focussed.
I prefered my Oath Friend ability on other melee'ers, this makes them stronger and more durable up in the front and will also make sure you have a steady ammount of grudge generating.

I've also had quite some 1on1 encounters. Not to blow my own horn but I almost won all of em. Melee classes just aren't able to bring you down fast enough. Casters stood a chance if they could stay at range, which seemed hard for them cause I always used flee to get near. At lvl 10-11 in the lowbie scenario's I even won a few 1v2's. However, this is not a good impression since most of the people there are of a much lower level. Even if they get buffed to lvl 11 in there, they still don't have acces to the higher skills and are still wearing lower level equipment.

An ability worth mentioning is Hold The Line!, apart from having the coolest skill-name in game, it's probably the most group friendly skill I had. It gives you 45% chance to block attacks and resist spells. Also, it gives EVERYONE standing in a cone behind you an additional 15% chance to block/resist.

Morale
As for morale abilities, I've had access to 2. The first is an armor debuff which does an x ammount of damage over time. The second is shield wall, which gives you a 100% chance to block for 10 seconds. The cooldown on morale abilities is shared and is 1 minute. In RvR I found that I always had enough morale to use shieldwall every minute. If they do decide to attack you, popping shield wall + hold the line combined with masses of hitpoints makes you virtually invulnerable.

Conclusion
Being a tank you're able to take a beating in both PvE an PvP. You will still kill at a reasonable speed while solo'ing. I was even able to kill champion mobs solo.

In RvR you have alot of defensive abilities to help your group survive. You will be in the heat of battle most of the time dishing out some serious damage backed up by useful offensive abilties such as snares and knockdowns.

It will definitally be the class I'll be playing on release.

Bluelion

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for taking the time to write the review. I'm currently torn between an Ironbreaker or a Rune Priest. Most of the Ironbreakers reviews I read seem to indicate they are a bit of on the overpowered side, which concerns me as people tend to flock to the more powerful classes and I'm definitely not interested in playing an overpowered and overpopular class. Yet the poll here suggests very few people are interested in them as a main.

Guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
I have to agree with you that they feel slightly overpowered at their current state. However, not many people seem to be playing them at the moment.

You can't go wrong with an ironbreaker or rune priest, both are dwarfs and as we all know dwarfs are by far the coolest race in Warhammer :cheers:

krilly

Fledgling Freddie
oh cool

I was thinking of playing the kotbs originally

Then I thought of chosen, but it looks like loads of people are playing chosen.

I also heard order are short on tanks, and I don't want to be an elf, so was thinking of trying the Iron Breaker.

now im definately playing one, thanks for the review.

Reza

One of Freddy's beloved
The latest patch nerfing the Heavy Blow dot stacking reduces IB dps quite a bit actually (especially if u had a fairly fast swinging weap).

The overall group util on this class is great though.

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
The latest patch nerfing the Heavy Blow dot stacking reduces IB dps quite a bit actually (especially if u had a fairly fast swinging weap).

Only if you we're spamming Heavy Blow all the time, the DoT only lasts 3 seconds and the attack has a 1.5s cooldown. I can see this being a slight problem in solo PvE, not at all in RvR though. If you're only spamming heavy blow there you're not playing the ironbreaker as you should imo, since you have more stuff to worry about (armor reduction, self buffing, debuffing using reactionary skills of block/parries etc).

Reza

One of Freddy's beloved
Only if you we're spamming Heavy Blow all the time, the DoT only lasts 3 seconds and the attack has a 1.5s cooldown. I can see this being a slight problem in solo PvE, not at all in RvR though. If you're only spamming heavy blow there you're not playing the ironbreaker as you should imo, since you have more stuff to worry about (armor reduction, self buffing, debuffing using reactionary skills of block/parries etc).

In a group (both pve and pvp) it wont effect your game play that much, since you spend most of your time on ur util. Afterall you arent in the group for your dps so this isnt suprising.

Its solo that it will effect you. With armor debuff, taunt dmg bugg, self buffing styles, the snare with dot, and even the knock down reactionary style you still get good windows of opportunity to spam heavy grudge.

It was a good way of spiking ur dps. You could have an opponent armor debuffed, taunted, knock them down and spam a few heavy blows. The dot only lasting 3 secs, it was nice to have moments where u could keep at least 2 stacked.

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not denying that it's a decrease in dps but I don't think it's a very significant number ammount. The same principle still stands for solo-PvP; outlast your opponent and slowly take him down.

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Latest patch also made the Oath Friend available outside the group. This is a very useful change. IB's are a powerful class, and easily the best tank class in the game. I was originally going for Engineer, but after discussion with my guild...i'm donning the ol' Gromril and cleaving skulls with my axe. I've been an IB throughout CB anyway.

Spudgun

Loyal Freddie
Thanks for the heads up Evoknox, I really couldn't make my mind up what to play, tried the bright wizard, loved it but there are far too many of them, was sure I wasn't going to go dwarf, but the IB's changed that!

Cheers bud!

S

Serenna

I'm pretty new to playing a tank, I've always been dps in games before. There's a lot more to being a tank than the "rushing in where angels fear to tread" than I realised lol. I'm just getting to learn about the class and this overview has helped, thanks for posting.

Anymore tips on how to be a better tank, would be greatly appreciated :)

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
I'm pretty new to playing a tank, I've always been dps in games before. There's a lot more to being a tank than the "rushing in where angels fear to tread" than I realised lol. I'm just getting to learn about the class and this overview has helped, thanks for posting.

Anymore tips on how to be a better tank, would be greatly appreciated :)

I can give you some tips on PvP. They're pretty straight forward though.

You should learn how to use Oath Friend. It buffs others with toughness, armor, strength and willpower. It will buff their damage somewhat but the best thing is that it greatly improves their survavibility. Especially the armor buff is nice. It gives them 15-20% damage reduction extra. You should also consider your Oath Friend as a steady income of grudge, therefor I usually cast it on up-front melee'ers.

Guard has almost no cooldown and should be switched all the time on whoever is getting focussed.

And the last tip: use a shield. Don't be a nublet IB who runs around with a massive 2h axe. The knockdown is invaluable and can be used to either interrupt heals or stop attackers focussing your squishy targets. Once you get Away With Ye!, the 30 yard knockback skill, the fun really starts. Nothing beats ping-ponging your opponent into your own group. This can also be used to smash healers away.

So it sums up to buff melee'ers, interrupt healers and protect your squishy targets. Grudging blow (40% snare) will make sure noone gets away from you. At the end of the day, you will still be able to do good damage.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I am loving the IB, awesome class. The oathfriend and grude system really help in group battles.

fredericus

Fledgling Freddie
Never played an tank before, but man i love the IB, its just so badass, and you can never go wrong with a dwarf.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just to say I beat the piss out of an Ironbreaker on my shaman. This is not me saying "OMFG I rock!" but how I did this.

Cast Insta DoT
Cast 2nd Insta DoT (which returns dmg back to me as HP)
Used the instant Focus DD which shoots the big laser out.

He runs after me so I run sideways. This lets me use my 2 Insta DoT's.

I throw the odd HoT on myself but I dont really lose any hp. I then have Morale Ability 2 up (pbaoe dmg which gives X% back in health). This does about 20% of his HP.

I use both my Insta DoT's along with an Insta HoT and press Flee. He dies whilst chasing me.

it did seem odd how easy I beat him. We were lvl 14. I was cocky and used my Morale ability (meaning I ran to where he was) but I could have just kept running.

This seems a little bit OP?

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
My level 3 sorceress doing more damage with her 3 sec cast nuke than my level 11 marauder does with impale (the brutality back style) also seems rather op. No wonder my marauder dies so much to bright wizards. And my level 2 zealot killed a level 4 mob, just started to struggle a bit with action points, but killed it fine. My marauder would have a hard time with that. Seems like casters in general need a bit of tuning, and melee classes need their damage upped a bit.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Bahu, I have had shamans try that with me as well. It is a pain, but 1v1 the best option for an IB is to not chase the shaman. If I was close to begin with though I would use the vengeful strike and taunt to keep you close though.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Bahu, I have had shamans try that with me as well. It is a pain, but 1v1 the best option for an IB is to not chase the shaman. If I was close to begin with though I would use the vengeful strike and taunt to keep you close though.

Yeah I think the battle decides on how it starts. We were in a contested area, not a BG so I could run all day hehe

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I think its cool that healer hybrids beat tanks. Tanks obliterate melee DPS and depending on the situation tend to spank RDPS as well.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I think its cool that healer hybrids beat tanks. Tanks obliterate melee DPS and depending on the situation tend to spank RDPS as well.

Yeah I know what you mean. In WoW it was a bit too much "Rock, Paper, Scissor". In Warhammer, you just have an advantage. You have to actually utilise it.

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
The classes I really have problems with are healers in WAR. Your DPS as an IB simply is too low to do any serious damage to them. A healer can basically heal themselves forever.

From top to bottom I'd say these are the hardest (this is from MY OWN experience, others may disagree):

Disciple of Khain
Packs quite a serious punch in melee. Eventhough they don't do that much damage against the IB's armor, they will do enough to bring you down in a min or so while constantly HoTing themselves keeping em pretty close to full HP.

Shaman
Not doing quite the damage a DoK does, they can still get you down with their dots. I can occassionaly bring one down, given that they haven't done too many damage as soon as I get in melee range.

Zealot
What they lack in offense (or atleast, their offense isn't really a threat to me), they gain in defense. I think zealots are the most powerful healers on destruction side. It's almost impossible to bring them down. If I get lucky to be able to knock em down a few times I might take one on, otherwise they just run to the safety of their own camps (even when they're snared). I haven't tried my new morale ability which roots them for 8 seconds and is undispellable on them yet, this might do the trick.

Expreso

Fledgling Freddie
The classes I really have problems with are healers in WAR. Your DPS as an IB simply is too low to do any serious damage to them. A healer can basically heal themselves forever.

From top to bottom I'd say these are the hardest (this is from MY OWN experience, others may disagree):

Disciple of Khain
Packs quite a serious punch in melee. Eventhough they don't do that much damage against the IB's armor, they will do enough to bring you down in a min or so while constantly HoTing themselves keeping em pretty close to full HP.

Shaman
Not doing quite the damage a DoK does, they can still get you down with their dots. I can occassionaly bring one down, given that they haven't done too many damage as soon as I get in melee range.

Zealot
What they lack in offense (or atleast, their offense isn't really a threat to me), they gain in defense. I think zealots are the most powerful healers on destruction side. It's almost impossible to bring them down. If I get lucky to be able to knock em down a few times I might take one on, otherwise they just run to the safety of their own camps (even when they're snared). I haven't tried my new morale ability which roots them for 8 seconds and is undispellable on them yet, this might do the trick.

Totally agree with you.

I think that's how it should be, though. We are tanks, not dps :D

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
the thing with IB's chasing down enemy healers is a goodthin cos they aybe to busy kiting u to heal/shield/cure there group mates cos they have to concentrate avodiign u. so not such a bad thing in a grp v grp situation.kinda like tanks on daoc peeling for interupts.

Blondinen

Fledgling Freddie
And the last tip: use a shield. Don't be a nublet IB who runs around with a massive 2h axe. The knockdown is invaluable and can be used to either interrupt heals or stop attackers focussing your squishy targets. Once you get Away With Ye!, the 30 yard knockback skill, the fun really starts. Nothing beats ping-ponging your opponent into your own group. This can also be used to smash healers away.

I've tried both the S/S way and 2h on my way to lvl 23 and I disagree completely.

2h is FAR superior. In order to use the knockdown you need tanks to be on you. Which means it wont mean shit for when the tanks are on your support.

The main benefit of playing an ironbreaker is your survivability. You're the only tank on order side who has no problem pushing forward taking all the heat. and you do that with a 2h. Get on their support/casters and wreck havoc. With a 1h, they'll stand still and laugh at you.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It depends how you are playing the role, for offense then the 2h is better, for defense then you need a shield, hold the line works very well if you are protecting players behind you -especially in mourkain for example.

Blondinen

Fledgling Freddie
I think its much more vital, in Mourkain, to be the unstoppable force crashing forward in order to protect your team and the artifact bearer.

In T3, Tor Anroc, from what I've seen so far, IBs are forced into a more defensive role. But not in Mourkain...

Aerendur

Fledgling Freddie
I really enjoy playing my IB in group with some friends. But the dps is something that lacks. Once you get grudge you do fine dps, but without that you really cant hit for anyting.

Chasing a shaman is pointless because the damage they do doesnt build grudge as it should. You need the grudge to do dps and you just wont get it in a duel unless its a mdps enemy..

Blondinen

Fledgling Freddie
I really enjoy playing my IB in group with some friends. But the dps is something that lacks. Once you get grudge you do fine dps, but without that you really cant hit for anyting.

Chasing a shaman is pointless because the damage they do doesnt build grudge as it should. You need the grudge to do dps and you just wont get it in a duel unless its a mdps enemy..

Who cares about duels. This is RvR. Deal with it. The game isnt, and wont ever be, balanced around 1vs1 duels.

Get better playing your IB and you wont have a problem with grudge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom