Advice Shipping items to Hong Kong

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Hi, I've got a photographic item that I need to ship to HK for an upgrade.

I've had a good rummage on the Royal Mail website around shipping items to HK and I can't see anything obvious other than if the value of the item being imported is over £270 (which it is...) then I need to fill in a specific declaration form. I would expect that it should be a simple case of putting in detail that the item is being returned to the manufacturer for upgrade / repair.

Has anyone shipped anything internationally like this? Do you actually need to go through all this "import" stuff if you're simply posting a piece of metal for repair?

Any advice welcome.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes you do need to fill the forms in. If the repairs are free you need to provide a copy of your guarantee or warranty to customs to avoid duty and or vat.

If you are paying for the repair you have to pay VAT on the repair.

If they replace the item you have to pay vat on the value of the replacement item.

old.user4556

Ok thanks, unfortunately the repair is not free ($135) so it looks like I need to pay up.

Chilly

Balls of steel
What's the price difference for buying the upgraded item new and selling yours on second hand? Is that more expensive (probably, but worth checking)?

old.user4556

USD.

What's the price difference for buying the upgraded item new and selling yours on second hand? Is that more expensive (probably, but worth checking)?

Yeah that crossed my mind - it will be at least £82 for the upgrade and around £50 to fedex it to Kowloon with the tax implications on top of that. I paid just shy of £400 for my Mk1 (the Mk2 is the same price brand new, this picture is the old version), so even if I sold my old one at a much reduced £200 it's not a kick in the arse off a brand new Mk2 minus the ball-ache.

I asked them about import duty and they said:

Dude at Metabones said:
Hi

In US dollar, import to HK no duties and we will attached a RMA noted with the parcel back to you

Mark

Hmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom