Sharing a web connection

O

old.Kerosene

Hi all,

I'm using a ADSL connection to connect to the web and had this bright idea of buying a 5 port switch and connecting the other PC's in the house to the web through that. I've set my PC as the 'dial-up' PC and share my internet connection through that. It's kind of working ok but it's helly slow for the other PC's.

I'm running XP and the other machines are running 98.

Is there a better solution than this for web sharing? I've thought of running a web retriever on my PC and service the pages to the other PC's but I've no idea what software to use or whether there is a better way of doing it.

Any advice would be great.

S

Sibanac

Easyest way to do it is just buying a broadband router

C

ChillyDawg

balls to software, if u cant gt it a workin on ur box either do as slag says or buy a game boy and run a tiny linux on it as your gateway, plug everything into the switch and plug ur bb into the lil linux, failing that buy a decent bb modem that has an uplink for a hub/router in it.

K

klavrynd

there are some factors you need to look at

- how many pc's are you going to connect?

if only 2 i think the cheapest and easiest solution is a second network card in your gateway pc and some nifty software ( i recommend (sp?) winroute and trust me ive tried tons). If you're planning on doing more pc's (now or in the future) or don't want to leave one pc on the entire time, a broadband router might be the solution for you

- what are you going to use it for?
Only some surfing and maybe e-mail? Don't bother with expensive software because there's tons of free proxies around you can use

Do keep in mind you _allways_ buy a SWITCH and NOT a HUB, if you're not buying a broadband router (which really is a router and a switch in one)
Hubs are slow and nowadays cost only fragments less then routers who guarantee optimal bandwidth per connection

The cheapest solution for techies is offcourse the old pc + linux routing but seeing as you posted this, this option is out

O

old.Kerosene

Good old Merry Men :)

BB router it is then. Now.. to find one in fucking China.

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by old.Kerosene
Good old Merry Men :)

BB router it is then. Now.. to find one in fucking China.

couldnt be that hard, they are all made there :p

Users who are viewing this thread