SHADOWBLOODS THE ART OF WAR (PART II – RvR RAID TACTICS)

O

old.ShadowBlood

SHADOWBLOODS THE ART OF WAR (PART II – RvR RAID TACTICS)

I was originally going to keep this just within our guild however I think that it may aswell be made available to all Albions in the hope that by reading this document our up and coming military force will have foresight in to how they can maximise their effectiveness during raids on enemy realms.

First Warfare is not a science nothing is set in stone. You should adapt to the situation as the situation changes but a few Guidelines will help make combat and communications more proficient.

This is a quote straight from the Prima Strategy Guide:

“RvR is designed for group combat. Groups that work together
often learn how to communicate, anticipate and use tactics. This
gives them an enormous advantage over other groups. Guilds
provide a place to discuss tactics ( sometimes via email ) and
practice team work and communications.”

Here goes my step by step guide to taking a keep..

All people involved meet at a designated meeting place.
Everybody groups and those that are grouped sit with their group leader and those that are looking for a group remain standing.
Need to make sure EVERYBODY does and understands why we use /anon. It only takes 1 middy to have an account with a spy character then the whole of Midgard will know were coming. Also tell everyone to remove their guild cloaks and tell them why you are doing this.

When all have been grouped raid commander invites group leaders into chat.. A small discussion on who’s doing what follows :].. The Raid Commander should have carefully thought out his planned raid in advance. Hence group leaders must not contest decisions of the Raid Commander, the same goes for group members Vs group leaders. Too much debate during the raid leads to unclear thoughts and a scrappy raid. Discussion and advice will take place after the raid for future reference.

Each group member must /stick to their group leader and in turn group leaders must /stick to the raid commander.
1 group should be nominated a scouting group and follow the route ahead of the main army. It will be their role to clear the way ahead of stray mobs and to report and destroy any wandering Midgard/Hibernian players. The possibility of a successful raid is severely reduced if the main army are seen at an early stage.

On the word of the Raid Commander the Army moves out.. ALL SPEED BUFFS OFF. One ungrouped minstrel should be assigned to stay at the back of the train to pick up any laggers. (Saw a poor lad with bad connection get picked off by a Viking patrol last time, that was the end of the raid for him.)

On nearing the enemy keep, the army stops and the tanks take a front line, Infiltrators form to the left of these and then all casters begin to buff both tanks and infiltrators.
Then a designated puller from the army Pulls the NPC guards into the front line of tanks. This puller should have a minstrel and 1 or 2 healers assigned to him/her.
There will usually be around 2 or 3 pulls before it is safe to move onto the keep doors.
When at doors It is vital that a ram is erected as quickly as possible so there must be no one on the door apart from the ram builder.. As soon as the ram is up (AND NOT BEFORE) the tanks should attack the door.. It makes it a lot less confusing .. :], people should listen for commands and not spam the airwaves .. e.g ram builder asking for materials ect.. There should also be a keen awareness for guards that respawn. All lvl 35+ tanks should be on door whacking duty while all those below 35 should be on NPC guard killing duty. For me using styles on the doors is the difference from a 20 damage hit and a 200+ damage hit. So ALWAYS use styles and rest for stamina in between. While your resting it’s always good to keep an eye out for mids/hibs trying to use the gatekeeper.

While this is taking place the Infiltrators, Archers & Mages should keep the tanks protected by killing the NPC archers above them. It would help for these people to be in the same group as to co-ordinate their attacks.
While attacking the gate an NPC archer may start shooting you. If you are a shield user DO NOT move out of range of the NPC. Doing this will mean him changing targets to someone else, perhaps one of your casters. You (as a shield user) should be able to block a lot of his attacks. If you communicate well to healers, they should be able to keep you alive and you will be doing everyone a valuable service. However you will not be able to rest for stamina to use styles.

At this point if you aren’t doing anything useful you should stand on the gatekeeper so that enemy realm players can’t activate him and enter the castle. In a future patch you will be able to speech activate him, but up until then this shouldn’t be neglected.

Once the doors are down take out any remaining archers followed by the Keep Lord. After Keep Lord is taken. wait for merchants to respawn and repair doors , then onto whatever is planned next.. If attacking another keep think of what keep is the next easiest target, once you have decided this choose to attack a different keep instead. You wouldn’t want the middies to be waiting there for your arrival would you ;)

Any input comments welcome… plus thanks to my guildies that helped out :)
~SB~

O

old.Uku

Oh. its so complicated.

Yesturday we took
Caer Erasleigh, Caer Boldiam, Caer Berkstead, Caer Sursbrooke and Caer Hurbury

...and i was reading your guide. Lots of text. Most of trolls dont understand that much text. Keep it simple.
Group.
Go. Kill. Smash. Kill. Smash again. Kill again.
Repeat. :)

Emergencies:
if broken - heal :)
if dead ress
if bored, go home

Uku, Troll

M

malenka

Yeah, but be fair, Uku, this is a well thought out strategy and one that even us thick trolls could learn from.

O

old.Uku

shhh Malenka! thats a secret :D, and Alb-ppl. i have seen something like this MANY times. Keep up good work. (tho still, when time goes by a bit u see, that cenario will simplify out :D)

(time = LVL-s)

Uku. (lvl... hmmm... lets say: newer saw red alb/hib and this char never will :))

O

Ottar

> well thought out strategy and one that even us thick trolls could learn from.

Organisation vs. simplicity. Uku is quite right here - besiegeing a keep is really not all that complex. Show up, keep up, be patient and do what yer supposed to do. Takes some good old common sense and practice.

The guide above does have it right.. mostly, while not addressing the biggest problem them albinian forces seem to have - theyr’e sluggish. I do suspect it ain’t the plate armor slowing them down, but time and energy it takes to organize where there shouldn’t be disorder in the first place.

On our part, we have our daily Malmo runs. Getting sufficiently large number of people together at a set time, group them and move through a very difficult terrain is exactly the same as the first phase of a keep raid. We can do this with reasonably little fuss now. Hence our success in keepraids.

Ottar, Skald

O

old.Aiges Tyme

The simple way for albion to win a keep raid:

Drag all our lvl 40+ people out of lyonesse / barrows

Simple see :rolleyes:

O

old.ShadowBlood

Thanks for not flaming me :)

drats I didnt think trolls could read :(

yeah having high levels is definatly the key to taking a keep this guide was just to show people new to raids that sometimes there might be a little more to think about than running up to the door and whacking it :twak:
especially when the odds are stacked against you...

M

malenka

Well, you know us trolls - full of suprises - tee hee.

O

old.Kelmon

That's what we have the other races for. We point and the trolls kill. =)

C

c0ngo

Don't Pryd Albs know how to get keeps ?

On Excali it's easy.

Get bored ask in guild chat if anyone wants to take a keep.
Log alts out and log on main chars.
Get 1-2 grps together from Guild and head to CS.
Get 2 rams out of storage.
Go to Hibbie/Middie makes no real differance.
Find your keep (ideally one close to relic keep).
Pull yellow/blue con guards (if ur lucky maybe even an orange) ideally with a Minst and kill them, repeat until no more guards.
Run to 1st door, set up ram and bash door down, killing guard pops and maybe sending in an inf to kill archers (depends if you have one party lvl 46+ and they're bored standing about).
Repeat on 2nd door.
Go in kill archers then go to Lord and kill him.
Wooohooo the Keep is urs
All very too easy really :(

Fun bit is next.
Make sure you brought some wood and repair/upgrade doors etc.
Wait for Hibbies/Middies to turn up to retake it then farm those RPs :)

O

old.ShadowBlood

Yes you just wrote a guide for taking an undefended keep with a group of lvl 50's, well done. This guide is not for PowerGamers its to give people who havent been on a keep raid an idea of what to expect. And trust me, if you havent been on a keep raid before theres a high chance that if you do manage not to get lost on the way, you will accidently pull all the guards at once, manage to be the sole survivor, then carry on up the hill to the keep where you proceed to attack the gatekeeper until the next guard spawn ;)
~SB~

Its also far less stressful for the Raid Leader if people actually have some clue as to what thier role is :whip:

O

old.ShadowBlood

Yeah, taking baths out of my house to use as a dump bucket. dirty buggers! :uhoh:

C

c0ngo

@ShadowBlood

My post was really a dig at Mythic/GOA and not the guide. Not sure how many 50+ on Pryd but there are loads on Excali and taking an undefended Keep taking is just 2 easy.

I agree the guide is fine and it would be a good idea for someone to read before attempting to take a keep for the 1st time.

I've been on loads of keep raids at verious lvls with varying degrees of sucess/failure and think your guide also refers to taking an undefended keep, if not there is no mention of the what to do about the defenders.

There are some things you could add though.

Try to get as few people as possible carrying the parts for the ram and ideally have the ram builder carrying all the wood. You can only trade with one person at a time so the fewer people you have to trade with and fewer items that you have to trade the quicker the ram goes up. Try to only load people up to their unbuffed carry weight (if not and there buffer dies/ld's you have people unable to move until they're rebuffed and drop/pick up an item). Make sure the carriers know who is going to build the ram so that they can get to them asap. Get a sheild spec tank to protect the ram opperator and maybe a Cleric whose main job is to keep them alive.

If you have enough infs, form a grp with a BT thurg + Healer + infs and get them to take out the Archers (this works for defenders as well if the Keep is lightly defended).

Post stealthers at various points away from the Keep to look for incoming defenders.

Be aware that arrows appear to go through walls/doors atm as do some AoE spells (bug abuse ? maybe but on Excali it seems to be used a lot by all 3 realms if a keep is defended and from Pryd forums I guess much the same happens here)

Users who are viewing this thread