Shadowbane and SWG

S

Shaki/Aeis

1. Wich one is best and when will they be released?

2. What do you think will happen to daoc when they are released?

3. A friend said SWG will cost 30 Euro/month..... seems a bit to much to me.. so is it true?

S

Smildorf

1. SWG is the best, it will be released in winter or so, I don't know when shadowbane will be released.

2. DAOC will loose a whole bunch of players.

3. 30€ a month.. I doubt it.

P

Perplexed

Don't quite know how you can say which is the better of 2 games before either have been released...

O

old.Wicoa

Personally:

When shadowbane is released I think the graphics will be outdated and they seem to be behind scehdule.

I will not delete my a/c on daoc I think it is a brilliant game, graphics are good, there's lots to do. Patches are coming down fast and this makes an impressive mmorpg.

I will run swg alongside daoc only to try something new BUT if I were you I would wait for all the reviews look at what actual beta testers say about the game then decide what to do.

Dark Age is a damn good game, and we won't lose that many people. SWG will be science fiction not a fantasy like daoc is. I think these two games will run alongside each other nicely.

Tho I will wait for all the reviews and so on. The development and cultivation of DAOC has not even begun properly yet but darkness falls seems to be a good step.

I will play DAOC for a couple of years yet, no point in my mind in taking a character to the pinnicale of the game ie level 50 then saying ok nextttt. At level 50 the game has only just begun again for you.

People always wonder about what they haven't got/played rather than enjoying what they are playing

I want my hand crafted weapon with a magicians overloaded proc on it ohhh baby.

Thats my 2cents worth.

See you in game
Wic :m00:

O

old.chesnor

Originally posted by old.Wicoa
At level 50 the game has only just begun again for you.

lol, are you trying to be ironic, or are you a n00b? Last time I looked there was almost no high level content, and RvR soon becomes a chore (especially with DF).

O

old.Solomon Kane

I really want Shadowbane to be good. The concept of Guilds building and running their own city's sounds awsome. However I have heard rummours that the control system is a bit poor.

SWG will contain far to many geeks and " Experts " for me. I will give it a wide berth.

X

Xtro

Originally posted by old.chesnor

lol, are you trying to be ironic, or are you a n00b? Last time I looked there was almost no high level content, and RvR soon becomes a chore (especially with DF).

And are you chesnor just trying to be a thick arrogant twat? Well done, mission accomplished.

Its his opinion - if you don't like it tough shit, no need to call him a n00b.

Next you'll be saying GGPLYDTHNXPLZDRIVETHRU.

Q

Quemine

1. I have no idea about shadowbane but I've been following SWG development for 1½ years and I can't wait for it to be released this winter. (devs are shooting for a december release or so and they seem to be on schedule)

2. DAoC servers will thin out even more and in the end only a couple stealthers will be left on each realm.

3. It certainly will not cost €30, it will probably cost slightly more than DAoC but not that extreme.

E

Eleasias

Dunno about Shadowbane but SWG will be horrible, goddamn wookies running everywhere and everyone is a L337 Jedi. You dont really, really want to get me started on wookies and the horrible sound they make, like they had a giant size football stuck in their anus, OH THE MOANING!

M

Melodic

Originally posted by old.chesnor

you're obviously thick as fuck and have no clue how MMORPGs develop. EQ had the same problem in its infancy (and DAOC is still in its infancy as far as MMORPGs go) - yet it has now lasted three and a half years and is still going strong. I think DAoC will keep going also, and I have played EQ, AC, UO and AO (ie all of the major MMORPGs)

I

Israfael

Personally I don't think boredom will set in when I hit 50. I'll concentrate on other things now the constant niggling will have gone away.

I will probably play SWG, but because I'd like to be a greedo-esque bounty hunter...

Or a protocol droid :p

O

old.Raziel

Originally posted by Xtro

And are you chesnor just trying to be a thick arrogant twat? Well done, mission accomplished.

Its his opinion - if you don't like it tough shit, no need to call him a n00b.

Next you'll be saying GGPLYDTHNXPLZDRIVETHRU.

Hmm seems to me your trying to do that same thing.

hmm he asks some one if they are a noob and says his opinion, and what do u do, call him and twat for having his opinion

O

old.neenee

1. cant say yet

2. cant say yet

3. slap ure friend :clap: no prices on anything for swg has been set yet, just vicious rumours :rolleyes:

O

old.chesnor

I probably am as thick as f**k (nice turn of phrase), but I am also aware of the community. I have seen many, many level 50 players either leave, or sell/give away their accounts. Most of the Midgard powerlevellers have gone, many good friends I met in beta have gone. These boards are alive with a steady stream of threads posted by people leaving, mostly people with lvl50 chars. All leave for essentially the same reason, once you hit 50 there is little to do.

This is enough evidence for me. This game does not have enough high level content to keep 'most' lvl50s occupied, this isn't my opinion, it's a statement of fact. When 1.49 went live, many lvl50s had their epic armour a few hours later. The Hibs have killed Legion already and the seals are being farmed as we speak. DF will keep lvl50s attention for a few weeks. Then they will be back to the zerg in emain or posting here 'giving' their accounts away. iirc games like EQ solved the boredom factor by adding a few zones and raising the lvl cap to 60. I doubt Mythic would do this, but RvR just isn't enough for lvl50s - "zerg or be zerged"

Heres a quote that sums it up perfectly :-

"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

C

cadiva

Malcontents

Isn't it a well known thingy (saying, phrase, commonly held belief or whatever) that the most vocal are usually the minority.
What I mean is that the vast majority of people (ie the 3000+ people playing on Excalibur and Prydwen each night) are in fact pretty happy to be playing and aren't coming to the BW Forums to whinge and moan?

Just my twocoppers worth, I find the people doing the moaning on here are usually the same 5 or 6 people whose names I'm sure we're all aware of.
As for those who leave, well I'm quite sure they will do the same with whatever game they head into next.
The sort of people who rush to get to level xyz and then moan there is nothing to do will never be satisfied with anything.

DAoC needs imagination to play, it's not Fantasy Quake or DAoCounterstrike. There is no end game to this, just the imagination of people willing to go out and just have fun with their friends or guild mates.

I went out bashing with my lvl 10 thane the other night so that some of the lower level guys in my guild could get a decent guild bash. I lost about half a level because I took the aggro and the death so the other guys could level - it was one of the funniest nights of playing DAoC for me.
There is no right or wrong way to play this game but it sure as hell irritates the f**k out of me when people keep claiming this that or the other game will kill it off.

Go play what you want to play but please please please stop telling other people the game they are quite happily playing is shite.

O

old.Prof

1. Release dates :

Shadowbane is currently slated for an early november release.

That said they've missed countless release dates before so don't get your hopes to high. However many ppl believe SB won't be delayed much more for the simple reason they have been beta-testing for like 1,5 years now (!), and they can't let development drag on forever. SB is in danger of becoming another Daikatana.

News from beta-test is however that the beta is still rather small and the game far from finished so IF the game gets released at the end of the year, it'll be v buggy and incomplete (bit like the average MMORPG release :p).

SW:G is slated for like a dec-jan release but it doesn't look like that deadline will be hit.

Beta has only just started (still being restricted to 100 ppl) and the devs still tinkering with even basic issues, so it doesn't like they'll be able to pull of their v ambitious plans before the deadline. It'll be most likely Q2 of 2003 at the least.

At this stage it's virtually impossible to tell which one is best, heck it's even unsure if either of them will be even worth playing.

2. Dunno :p.

3. About the pricing : With each new generation of MMORPGs the monthly fees rise, and SW:G will be likely one of the most expensive around. As much as 30 Euros/month sounds unlikely though ...

O

old.Ayam Ganbatte

My inclination of thought is with those who have said that Star Wars Galaxies is a different genre of game, so when it is released it won't significantly impact the population of Dark Age of Camelot.

I'm not sure about the popularity of Anarchy Online but it seems to me that it's a much more similar setting, so I think Star Wars Galaxies will grab a higher proportion of Anarchy Online players than Dark Age of Camelot.

K

kayless

1. Wich one is best and when will they be released?

Again, nobody really knows till we getto play em. Personally i'll have a look at Shadowbane, probably for the FREE month it will hopefully give me. The whole guild system and crafting sounds a little more involved than DAoC, but I'm more than happy with Mythic atm. SWG will make a nice change to run alongside DAoC i think.

2. What do you think will happen to daoc when they are released?

Obviously it's bound to loose a few players. I think ppl will keep accounts in 2 out of these 3 games. For me it's DAoC and SWG, unless SB is utterly amazing, which i doubt it, i've yet to see an impressive screenshot?!?

3. A friend said SWG will cost 30 Euro/month..... seems a bit to much to me.. so is it true?

I'd agree with you guys, it won't be that much, maybe around $15.00 (no idea what that is in Euro's,just basing it on my current DAoC fee)

O

old.neenee

Re: Re: Shadowbane and SWG

Originally posted by kayless
unless SB is utterly amazing, which i doubt it, i've yet to see an impressive screenshot?!?

never judge a book by its cover ><

O

old.Krusha

Originally posted by old.Prof
SW:G is slated for like a dec-jan release but it doesn't look like that deadline will be hit.

Beta has only just started (still being restricted to 100 ppl) and the devs still tinkering with even basic issues, so it doesn't like they'll be able to pull of their v ambitious plans before the deadline. It'll be most likely Q2 of 2003 at the least.

theyre basically done and just testing small ideas that theyve worked on .. theyve been inhouse betatesting for a long time, and opened it to the public in some extent,for teh more tedious work .. like testing walking for a loooong timw.. But the 4 betaphases wont be very long and will end in a open beta test.

But from what ive seen/heard im pretty confident that it will be here this december. But as were in the same business i know how easy it is to say that your deadlines will be met only to have it bust in the last second, or just live in denial and say it will be done when you know it wont ;).

as Q said on the SWG forums on the lateness on the betatest (CDs are being shipped now (beginning last thursday iirc)

Well it certainly has an effect, but it is too early to adequately predict what that is. As I’ve said before, if all goes well during the beta tests, we should release roughly on schedule.

N

Nightchill

1. I'd guess SWG just for the amazing amount of talent behind it. I've been following it's development for a long time - as I'm sure some of you know, it's been in the making for a fair while - and I'm still of the believe it'll be the paradigm for next-gen mmorpgs :)

2. Not that much; a few people will stop playing of course but I doubt GOA will notice a huge stoppage of subscription.

3. The devs have said SWG will be "in line with other current mmorpgs" regarding cost/month. Iirc they even did a poll on how much people would be willing to pay (or maybe that was slicerhq). I'd guess $10-15/month with discounts for 3/6/12 month subscription.

O

old.Prof

The past few weeks, we've been evaluating the current design against the current schedule and we're pretty confident that we can launch in a December-February timeframe.

This is not "december" anymore. Let be assured that the beta of SW:G will have to be a very short one if they want to release it that soon, like I said SB has been beta-testing for over 1,5 years now.

O

old.Krusha

apparently as the open beta goes live theyll start to press the cds.. as most of the fixes and changes at that point will be serverside.. not client side.. all art and models are done, its just gameplay that is tweaked, and as it is now open will go live in november...

But i hope they release it on time but i wont be surprised if they dont :)

O

old.Prof

its just gameplay that is tweaked

Once yer models and art is done it's done, no need to tinker further with it.

Gameplay is something different altogether. Testing gameplay takes lots of time. As we all know DAoC is still tweaking gameplay 10 months after release, hell even UO and EQ are still doing it. You need several months at the least to test out yer gameplay ideas before it gets to "releasable" levels and testing and improving the server code also takes some time (I'm far from an expert on these matters though :p). "Dec to feb" is really the "when-all-goes-perfectly-as-planned" scenario.

O

old.Wicoa

To Chesnor

Im not gonna go for such pathetic bait as that for a silly discusion to flame up. I will address your various comments tho.

Quote "Midgard powerlevellers have gone". And you are surprised at this :rolleyes:. Of course they have all they wanted was the most "uber char" to "gank" anything they see :m00:. Powerlevellers will get bored quickly and will leave quickly because they don't see a game beyond powerlevelling, they don't look for content in an RPG anyhow. :sleeping:

Most people seem to leave at the big 50 as well because they fail to re-learn their class in an rvr situation. All you are used to is bashing monsters you have to totally change the way you play in rvr almost re-learning your character and how to play it. Many people will fail at this and so think their char is gimped or get angry and leave the game.

Servants Of The Lake are a shining example of level 50's still in the game, still very active and extremly deadly and highly organised.

And no I am not a new person to the game I have been playing for sometime.

Personally I find your comments quite immature and unconstructive.

Wic

O

old.Krusha

But your forgetting that they have HUGE inhouse testing crew (3 separate teams at different lvls of testing infact) which makes the outsourced Beta time take less time.

Agree that there will be patches with nerfs and upgrades and added content .. but thats the way it oges with mmorpgs.. so a dec release would still be doable .. releasing in jan-feb will make a huge dent in the sales as jan-feb is a desert in the retail business. if they dont make it til Dec i bet they will deliberatly postpone it til later into the first quarter maybe even 2nd quarter even tho they had a finished product in january.

BUT given the following it has atm, it would still prolly sell good (not as good as a dec rel.) .....

O

old.mcmilliam

everyone forgetting that in the race is AC2 and this folks are really moving along and might make the dec date still.dunno how the game play will be but graphics wise its really good.
SWG will most likely break the subscription record of EQ and it will be huge.having star wars fans and EQ fans behind u is no small thing .
but yeah can't say how it will play till it comes out.
SB is gonna have a good opening(all mmrpg have that AO had 60k people trying to log in at same time once) but it will go down hill real fast.
SB gonna have to release soon because i can't believe the money backers will wait much longer.already they missed the window to release this game way before SWG and AC2 and rake in some money before those 2 come out.i think the problem is game been in make so long that attempts are been made to adjust it not to look like some biplane version of MMRPG and its all going buggy.
still be a good home for those ex UO pre R guys that been homeless for a while and they can bash each other silly and steal the loot.i personally have problems with been forced to use cities run by some guys that sit 24/7 on the keyboard .

V

Valdamar

SW:G + SB = d00d magnets

SB is likely to appeal to d00ds because of the PvP ego-boosting guild system - from what I've read it looks like a marriage between Starcraft and Quake with a fantasy setting and an mmorpg persistent world.

I don't think there's any doubt that SW:G will be a massive hit - just the subject matter alone will pull in tons of <ahem> "normal" people (those who don't play EQ/DAoC, and probably think we are a bit sad for doing so), not to mention the beautiful graphics. And of course the PvP factions, and the draw of Bounty Hunter and Jedi classes, will make it a huge attraction for d00ds. So put together all those d00ds with all those SW fanboy n00bs and I think you'll have a game that's going to be a "nightmare weekend in hell" for the average EQ/DAoC player. You couldn't pay me to play it.

Personally I have great hopes that both SW:G and SB will suck all the 1337 d00ds out of EQ and DAoC, making them nicer places til a true fantasy successor comes along - perhaps Darkfall, Horizons (still vaporware but who knows), Atriarch, AC2, EQ2 or eventually Middle-Earth Online - at least one of those should be a vast improvement on DAoC/EQ/AC/AO/UO.

X

Xtro

Originally posted by old.Raziel

Hmm seems to me your trying to do that same thing.

hmm he asks some one if they are a noob and says his opinion, and what do u do, call him and twat for having his opinion

I called him a twat for acting like a twat. Not too hard to grasp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom