Sexeh remote

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Being utterly sick and tired of handling about 4 different remotes (tv, dvd, tivo, cable), I decided to get myself a one-for-all gubbins from Ebay. URC 9960.

sexy%20remote.jpg

IT AER SEX!

I got an American version, which doesn't come with exactly the right codes for UK gear (although most stuff works, and it can learn from other remotes), so I also ordered a parallel cable that plugs into the back of it, with some free software and a great website I managed to program it very easily.

It can also be programmed by holding the remote to a speaker, and blasting a wav file down its lughole. You can do this over the phone, which is a really cool feature, however I'm not cool enough because it didn't work for me - hence the cable.

The really smart thing about it is that only the relevant buttons for the device you have selected will appear. So on the TV setting, you don't see any VTR buttons, etc. Also, it lights up when it senses vibration, to save batteries. Its the slickest damn remote I've ever seen.

Total cost about £50 for the remote (exported from US as a gift so no tax), and about £15 for the programming cable.

/gloat

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I hope it does save on the power, 4 AAA batteries ffs!

:p

Clown

Part of the furniture
I want one of those £300 quid ones with LCD screens and stuff. They rock.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
FuzzyLogic said:
I hope it does save on the power, 4 AAA batteries ffs!

:p

If its the same as my Kameleon it EATS batteries.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its not worth the USB option tbh. Look here:

http://jp1.filebug.com/

The parallel cable takes about 1 second to upload/download everything from the remote :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
I want one of those £300 quid ones with LCD screens and stuff. They rock.
300 quid? I can't see why they'd be that expensive since pretty much any crappy old pda with an ir port will do the same. You can get loads of different software for pda's that makes them in to multiremotes just like the fancy things you're talking about. Just as good imo.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
nath said:
300 quid? I can't see why they'd be that expensive since pretty much any crappy old pda with an ir port will do the same. You can get loads of different software for pda's that makes them in to multiremotes just like the fancy things you're talking about. Just as good imo.

Mine is great fun in Pubs :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
dysfunction said:
How well can you see the "buttons" in direct sunlight?

They're really bright, so in answer to your question - perfectly :)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
hmmm...hows the battery usage Tom ? I read somewhere else they last about a week...plz tell me its lies :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Dunno, its been going much longer than a week though, about 3 now I think. The battery life is only an issue if you're constantly vibrating it, making the lights come on (ie if its on the sofa and you're moving around lots).

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
ahh...I expect the batteries only last a week if your a stoner and you use the light on it to skin up wi'

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you need any help programming it with non-standard codes, I can point you in the right direction. It all seems massively complicated, but its a piece of piss really.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I wouldn't mind one but I can't really justify it - my AV amp remote does it all in a slightly less spangly fashion.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I really find a seperate remote for each thing less fiddly. And cheaper.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ch3tan said:
That's the previous model though, Currys have had them for yonks and can't seem to shift them ;) I wonder why... heh

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
so what about it Tom, how are the batteries going ? Should I get one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom