Severing the tether - a friendly warning to mentalists

A

Armolas

OK i flike me you vaguely rember seeing some stuff about severign the tether turning pets against their owners, don't believe it.

I think it was once like that while 1.50 was in testing, in teh final patch however, it was obviously nerfed, due to giving mentalists something that might be useful as a realm ability.

It now just kills summoned pets and releases charmed pets - the pets do not aggro on their owners!

I tried this on Gorre during the duels, anda sorc pet just runs away, theurg pets die just as if you cast confuse on them, I think spiritmaster and cabalist pets also die, minstrel pets resist charm and aggro until the next charm pulse.

This is not worth 10 RA points, and I know some mentalists plan to get it, thinnking it is something other than what it actually is, so be warned. Try it out 1st on Gorre before wasting your respec.

O

old.Takahome

Ask in rightnow dude, I¨m MORE than sure that it turns mobs on their owners, actually I´ve read a lot about that skill... plz ask GM online or appeal in rightnow... really...

And plz post this in Hibernia Caster´s RA thread plz :D

A

Aeiedil

dosen't it get changed in 1.51 or something?

A

Armolas

OK, it's gone to RightNow after I checked the description again.

Hopefully something will be sorted out, I doubt if they will put the patch back just for this - if they wanted thorough testing the server should have been open more than a day :)

L

Lisco_Cataluz

Armolas maybe u r right, but if those pet`s die/runaway like u said is good enough for a moment (until corretive patch atleast).

Im saying this because when we r camping Alb or Mid wall door and ill move to front casting AoE DoT`s there is a 99% change everytime that i got pet ganked. Its the common tactics of enemy`s send in pets and let em attack casters. Situation could really change when Alb`s & Mid`s see that we r using severing the tether.

After all its the only realm ability spell to Mentalist which can make a difference at rvr.

I know that next thing that i will hear is that: "Why didn`t u get Purge instead of Severing the Tether ?".
Well lets make it short. What use it is to trigger purge if your whole group is stunned / mezzed ? All u can do is trigger purge and try to kill one before u r killed (because others stay mezzed/stunned) or try to run away, which is not an option imho. U can`t out run a group with a minstrel :(. Also that 15min timer is something u don`t like. Enemy can cast insta/normal mezzes/stuns 3-4 time in 10sec, if theyt got 2 peeps in group which can do that.

Final words: If u r mana Mentalist, get severing the tether, but be sure that u also put points on other abilities inc. Wild Arcana, so u can seriously do dmg with your AoE DoT`s & DD`s.

Btw, this was my first post ever to this board :)

Lisco

<50lvl Mentalist>

A

Armolas

Well after a rather wrong reply from rightnow I finally found this thread (I had been looking under General Discussion, doh), and this description from Kwea:

Works on all pets. Minstrels are rumored to recharm on next pulse.

Tethered pets will aggro controller for 4 minutes after Tethered. Charmed will run to spawn, Theurg pets die with the normal timer, pet class pets will live for 4 minutes even after the control is dead, but they will just stand around.

Sooooo given that I can emulate Its effect on Theurg (80% of pets i see) by spamming Confuse (OK its not insta, but face it Theurgs are pretty easy to drop if you are prepared to do a bit of confusing), and that a confuse on Sorc pets (about 19% of the pets I see) also efectively removes them from battle for a while, This only really is effective on Cabalist and Spirtimaster pets, and IMO is not worth it, as you never see them - for e.g in my testing yesterday, I only got to test on Theurg and Sorc pets, as no cabalist or spiritmaster pets were in evidence all day.

O

old.Zanaa

I think severing the tether is a total waste of points. Maybe it would be worth 2-3points. You simply won't have use for it often enough. The class-specific RAs are not exactly balanced. We got one of the worst.

O

old.Tzeentch

Severing the Tether, or, Wild Arcana 3 <assuming you have spent points already on Acuity2).

No contest imo.

Users who are viewing this thread