Server Program

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
a friend of mine said something about turning your computer into your own server for storing information as long as it is turned on?

Im totally useless at this, but im hopeing someone can help.

The first person to help gets a shiney rep point :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Store what kind of information?

XP and Windows 2000 have built in webservers, but I can't think of any server apps which you can install on a desktop which would lose all their data in a reboot.

what kind of thing are you after matey?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
That's not exactly storing information, that's sharing it surely?

Lets wait and see what Brynn is after exactly.

Xav

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, i love the speed in which people reply here its great.

Just to have like a folder on my pc that when im online i can use to host stuff like .jpg's and wee images that geo-cities dont like :p

doesn't have to auto-wipe when i re-start

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ah, that all depends sir.

Two options, get yourself a Dynamic DNS address (http://www.dyndns.org) and then whenever you log on and run the DynDNS client the address you choose will point to your PC.

Or, if you have a static IP, register a Static DNS address from the above, pointed at your fixed address.

Then, install IIS using the Windows add-remove component wizard and you're pretty much there.

Make sure that any firewall on your PC has port 80 request inbound opened, and the same on your router if you use one.

Note though, that people opening images stored ON your pc will eat into your bandwidth like CRAZY. For the most part it's going to work out easier to just find decent webspace, unless you don't mind your ingame ping skyrocketing when people start leeching files across your connection.

Xav

babs

Can't get enough of FH
If you don't have any webspace from your ISP (check, you may well do) then get some cheap hosting. I use webmania, 500 megs/6Gigs a month bandwidth and all the bells and whistles for £20 a year.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
My dad is with BT - dont really know more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom