Server Maintainance Today

• Thread starter Roo Stercogburn
  • Start date
R

Roo Stercogburn

Server maintenance today
[2003-6-11]

There will be a short maintenance of all servers this afternoon. The servers will come down at 14.30 GMT and downtime is expected to be short. See you all when the servers come back up.

---

Now, things like server maintainance are usually planned in advance. You don't wake up one morning and think "Ah, what a beautiful day! Perfect for bringing down the servers."

Now, because of this, either something broke and they don't want to say, or GOA should perhaps consider announcing these things 24 hours in advance as it allows players to change their plans if anything has been arranged.

D

Driwen

GOA has announced such things rather late earlier (not even counting the hacking incident). Dont really know what is wrong with the servers, but maybe they found the solution for some bug and want to fix it asap?

H

Hargh

It's probably NT service pack 4. Or they are adding another duracell battery to the back. (joking)

The point is a good one tho, I am hoping they will let us know after they do it, maybe it was something they need to patch urgently to close a hole and by telling us would have compromised security in some way...

R

Roo Stercogburn

Driwen, if thats the case its not server maintainance, its a quick patch, in which case the content of the announcement is inaccurate.

If its server maintainance, its planned, and 24 hour notice to the community is not an unreasonable expectation.

S

svartmetall

I wouldn't mind if they'd just fix this sodding sound bug.

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by svartmetall

Oh, and theres me thinking no sound was part of the game ;)

/rollback patch

B

Bilf

Originally posted by Hargh
It's probably NT service pack 4. Or they are adding another duracell battery to the back. (joking)

More likely changing hamsters... :p

O

old.Belorfyn

I gotta agree that if they have the plan few days earlier, they could do the announcement too.

But I think the case might also be that after they've found bug that needs fast fixing, they might not know the exact day they get the fix ready to be updated to servers.
Perhaps they got the fix "ready to go live" earlier today and decided they want to bring it live fast.

But in most cases probably could announce it somewhat earlier, they have done that too sometimes, day or two earlier I think.

C

-chancer-

all will become clear im sure

btw there patching to WoW :p

U

uglymug

am i the only one hoping this is the foundations thingy? lol

M

Moody

If the fix takes half an hour or so, your day isn't exactly ruined. If the maintenace means the servers will be down the whole day, then I would like to know a bit more in advance.

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by Moody
If the fix takes half an hour or so, your day isn't exactly ruined.
It's GOA's way of saying "remember to go to the bathroom"...

S

scarffs

I was expecting news on foundations early this week, as they announced.
I don't really get which day is early in the week, for me it would mean monday-tuesday. I'm not saying the patch should be live, but if they say news then or then, they should do it, period.

X

Xarma

Anyone else finding it rather interesting that they took down the servers an hour before the time they announced on the page? =)

F

Fluffygirl

they have announced some time ago that they tried fix the sound bug for a long long time, but neither GOA nor mythic could figure out what was causing it so there was no fix available, they also said that during their testing with 1.63 and foundations they noticed the sound bug was gone so hopefully once we get next patch we get rid of the sound bug too as it is on the test server

O

old.Kerosene

I wonder what it is then and whether we'll actually ever find out? :(

My guess is they are updating something on the server to make sure the keep layouts on the client are consistent with the ones on the patcher.

D

devilnl

I wonder why they dont maintain it REALY early.. or late @ night (same thing tho :p)

But that would be better (for the players)
---

Oh btw..
Is crafting weapons better on low levels? (like lvl 1 or such) ??
Cause when i craft with my lvl 25 (highest :'() i dont get a single level up on armorcrafting

B

brite

maybe they are improving security. They wouldn't bring it down without good reason, and they dont really have to give a reason.

tell me you wouldn't whine if they said:

bringing down the servers to cover up a big hole in our security that left all your personal details accessable to anyone

they cant win really

S

svartmetall

<blatantstereotyping>

I wonder why they don't maintain it REALLY early
Croissants not ready yet.

... or late at night (same thing though :p)
Croissants gone cold by then.

</blatantstereotyping>

N

NetNifty

GOA is so bad at marketing, if they bought KFC they would rename it "warm dead bird" :/

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by NetNifty
GOA is so bad at marketing, if they bought KFC they would rename it "warm dead bird" :/

Now that cracked me up :D

O

old.Kerosene

lol - I'm loving this thread. Makes a change from the usual whinefest. Let's hope someone comes along and restores the whine balance soon.

D

darbey

Originally posted by svartmetall

Ditto, its getting right on my tits

M

Moody

Just look at the serverstatus screen (the one before loading yer server :)

The french ones are up again. It's funny to see the logged in numbers of players go up really fast. within a minute 200+ people on Orcanie :)

M

Moody

Was really cool. Saw Excal come back up, logged in asap. There were no mobs at all. nothing :) Then one by one they spawned :)

R

Roo Stercogburn

I found out something interesting about the sound bug.

I think its related to the stereo positioning. I've found if I'm hearing the sound of something getting attacked and I rotate my char, the sound fades but once I rotate back, the sound level increases.

I think the positional calculations for sound volume are messed up.

The reason it would appear to be different for lots of players is that there are lots of different soundcards working in slightly different ways, even though they are controlled through DirectX.

Don't know if this is old news or not, but thought I'd share :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom