Server Clustering for Excalibur and Prydwen.

Xajorkith

Fledgling Freddie
http://daoc.goa.com/news/view_news.php3?id_article=3090

Tis a bit difficult to vote when one doesn't what know the implications of clustering are!

Can anyone shed any light on the implications for clustering the following for Excalibur and Prydwen?
- RvR only
- Main cities
- Classic Zone
- Atlantis
- Shrouded Isles
- Catacombs

What would happen if we voted no for clustering?

Anyone know how well did it work for the yanks?

Questions, questions, questions! :)

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
The biggest problem for me is that if we have clustering of Excal and Pryd then any new English speaking players would be limited to one realm only.

It would be interesting to hear from Pryd players if they feel their current population issues are severe enough to warrant it.

Gamah

Banned
At the moment no and yes...but if numbers fall again then definatly yes.., if they clustered we would have about 2400 on primetime...some major rvr then..

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
I'd say that GOA should talk to mythic and see if they can get the create-chars-on-one-realm thing removed for english servers. I think that it's probably best to cluster, but it's rather unfair to new players to allow them to only make chars on one realm, especially given the 8 hour login timer.

RvR clustering - both Excal and Prydwen will use the same RvR zones

Rest of the zones are something like an instance - there's a group of 'prydwen' zones and a group of 'excalibur' zones, but you can visit both (and farm both - say barrows is filled on excal/alb, so port over to prydwen and camp there :p )

I've heard that the clustered RvR is pretty good (more people), and that the copies of the ToA zones/etc hasn't led to too much bumping into each other.

I'm pretty in favor of it, I'd just say that with only two english servers presenting only one realm for new characters to play wouldn't be good.

Shadoo

Fledgling Freddie
from what i understand if for example we just have the rvr zones clustered we can still make chars on hib on t'other server im all for it, nice to see thought that they are asking us what they want us to do! :fluffle:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
given the anti-crossrealm restrictions for new accounts I really think it's a bad idea at the moment.

I'm trying to get some new friends to play the game - I'd imagine they'll join me on alb/excal if they do start playing.

However, if we decide to have a Hib night on Prydwen they won't be able to join in.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Shadoo said:
from what i understand if for example we just have the rvr zones clustered we can still make chars on hib on t'other server im all for it, nice to see thought that they are asking us what they want us to do! :fluffle:

nope - any clustering means anti-crossrealm restrictions (so one realm on the clustered server for new accounts, timer for anyone who currently plays several realms on the cluster)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Overdriven said:
RvR Zones, Catacombs and Main Cities yes..

Not ToA.

so Prydwenites would get our RvR and xping but we don't get the quieter ToA zones and you don't get to join our ML raids...

Bloodclot

Banned
Sun_Tzu said:
but it's rather unfair to new players to allow them to only make chars on one realm, especially given the 8 hour login timer.
presenting only one realm for new characters to play wouldn't be good.

- Players who have characters from different realms on both servers will still be able to play them, but there is a one hour timer to change from one to the other

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Bloodclot said:
- Players who have characters from different realms on both servers will still be able to play them, but there is a one hour timer to change from one to the other
That only applies to players who ALREADY have characters on those servers. Therefore they will only be able to create characters on Alb/Exc and Alb/Pryd. Not Alb/Exc and Hib/Pryd.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Flimgoblin said:
so Prydwenites would get our RvR and xping but we don't get the quieter ToA zones and you don't get to join our ML raids...

No.

Prydwen and Excalibur players would share a single frontier (and whatever other zones if they add them), however Prydwen and Excalibur players will be able to go to each others housing zones, ToA zones, mainland zones, etc.

The "RvR Zones, Catacombs and Main Cities" suggestion would mean theres 1 new frontier, 1 set of catacombs zones, 1 main city, but 2 ToA's which players can switch between.

PinkyPink

Fledgling Freddie
I think itsa great idea imo, i play hib/pryd and it is near by impossible to find a grp at any time in rvr. I would definately like to see more action in rvr its boring fightign the same old albs and hibs want to kill new ppl ;)

The cross realm thing could be a problem but you can always go camlann???

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
A bit of clarification.
If the servers are clustered, players from either server will be able to visit any zone on either server regardless. So if you play Alb/Excal, you will be able to wander around all of the zones available to an Alb/Pryd player. What the poll is asking is which zones should be unique - i.e. not mirrored on both servers. By default the RvR zones (Frontiers, PoC and BGs) are unique, however the option is there to do the same with ToA zones, capital cities etc.

For example if capital cities were shared there'd only be one Camelot, one Jordhem and one TNN between both servers.

Also the character creation issue. If you have a new account you will be limited to the same realm on each server. So if your first character is in Alb/Pryd then you will only be able to roll Albs on Excal. If you wanted to change realms, you'd need to delete all your characters on both servers. If you already have characters on different realms on each server, you can create new characters in either of those realms however if you deleted all the characters on one server you'd only be able to create new ones on the same realm as on the other server.

For example if you play Hib/Excal and Mid/Pryd you would be able to create new Hib characters on Excal and new Mids on Pryd. If you deleted all your Excal characters, you'd only be able to create Mids on Excal after that and if you regretted the change and wanted to go back, we couldn't restore your Hib/Excal characters until you deleted all your Pryd characters too - and then you are locked into Hib on both servers.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
The 1 hour timer seems short too me, some peoples may abuse of the fact they have lvl's 50 toons on both servers mainly in relic raids, keeps takes/defense (actions who can long for more than several hours) and crossrealming for their own interests.

I aggree that ToA shall not be merged unless they increase arty's Mobs spawn and/or arty's drops rate. We already have enough campers in Mid/exca, i don't want more :) (i know it's selfish ;p)

And since a lot of players already have toons on both servers, i don't understand the point of not to allow the creation of chars on the 3 realms(and not only on 2 of them as it is now) when clustering comes out.

ps: soz for my poor english :)

Berthold

Fledgling Freddie
im a bit split on this i think personally too many downs for the one up....

Up
More people in pry RvR

Down
Excal RvR laggy enough with zurgs imo as it is
new players cant create alts on hib/mid/alb on other server
existing players cant create other chars if they wish to rerole
Cross realming will be rife, people with 2 accounts could be on hib and alb or mid at the same time in the same RvR zone......
RP farming of alts, will become common place. (ban them you say, i expect most people will farm alts for easy rps...and therefore they would ban hundreds of people, defeating the point.)

i feel abuse will be the main problem and i think it will be the downfall sadly, tho it sounds good. in practice it wont be i fear.
if we had anough servers like the USA we could make alts on another server np, but as we cant we are at a disadvantage...... restricterd to 1 realm for the money we pay to have access to 3??

possible soulution imo would be to merge UK and US servers. so we can play all realms which we pay for...

Ideas?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Requiel: How would a capital city be clustered? The patch notes state that the NPC you need to talk to for switching server is inside the capital city.

- In order to travel between servers, we have added new Channeler NPCs to each of the main cities. These NPCs are the "travel agents" for the realms, which will teleport players between servers in the cluster.

Camelot - Channeler Kho'unas
Jordheim - Channeler Jith
Tir na Nog - Channeler Galia

The poll on the website is rather vague and confusing. What you've said just confused me even more (the fact you can cluster without even merging zones!).

The poll should be something like:

- I don't want the servers clustered at all
- I want the servers clustered, but no zones merged
- I want the servers clustered, with RvR zones merged only
- I want the servers clustered, with PvE zones merged only
- I want all possible zones clustered!

Cazedy

One of Freddy's beloved
Voted for "- RvR only" if that doesnt mean that only our Frontieer will be merged and no other zones then im very confused ;P

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Cazedy said:
Voted for "- RvR only" if that doesnt mean that only our Frontieer will be merged and no other zones then im very confused ;P

Means both servers will connnect to the same frontier zone. But Prydwen and Excalibur will retain their own PvE zones, and you'll be able to switch between them(i.e. join an XP group on Excal, or on Pryd. It's upto you!).

I'm voting for:
- Main cities
- Classic Zone
- Catacombs

If in doubt, just vote for "RvR only"!!! (even if you don't want clustered RvR :p )

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
my post got deleted! im not that drunk!1 well kinda!! but got spliff ready to smoke :d

anyway i think server cluter great idea, espeically on pry were there seems a big lack of rvr, while excal will be boosted..

ill be interested in how cross server guilds wuld work? i mean wuld iot be possible for a guild on mid excal to invite sum1 from mid pry.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
[QUOTE='[NO]ill be interested in how cross server guilds wuld work? i mean wuld iot be possible for a guild on mid excal to invite sum1 from mid pry.[/QUOTE]
No.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Read the patch notes!

Restrictions

- Characters will only be able to purchase lots on their home server.

- Characters will only be able to join guilds from their own server.

- Guilds will not be able to join in cross-server alliances on their server cluster.

- There is a timer in place to prevent cross-realming characters. After logging a character into one realm on the cluster, you will have to wait eight hours (real world time) before being allowed to log into another realm on that same cluster.

I assume they added this as they could split up clusters at any time.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Roll on clustering.

I got characters on both realms so the "1 realm only for english players" thing doesn't affect me.

It should work out good :)

Edit: I just read all the things in the thread, so if I tick "rvr only" the other zones are still reachable? As in I can switch between them?

That would be the best then, 2 toas, 2 sis, so on.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
The thing is, I currently don't play DAoC (and I'm not even 100% sure if I'll be back). I don't know how underpopulated Prydwen is, currently. But, the way it was when I left it, I wouldn't want to have the RvR zones clustered. It might get too messy, too laggy, the real problem is that there's no way back. So they can't undo the clustering.

So, I'd say, "No", not until Prydwen is really really really really dead, and that's for GoA to determine.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
The best way round this is to cluster as you would but then allow players to shift to any realm they want within say a 5hour time period. So you could create characters on hib/mid/alb.

I don't play planetside anymore but they had a 12 or 24 hour timer allowing you to create characters on the other side.

This would allow new players and old players to play where they want when they want but with a timer penalty.

The game has always been unfair to the UK players not allowing a 3rd English Server so people could play their third realm. Therefore missing out on 1/3 of the content.

This would solve that.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Esoteric said:
The best way round this is to cluster as you would but then allow players to shift to any realm they want within say a 5hour time period. So you could create characters on hib/mid/alb.

I don't play planetside anymore but they had a 12 or 24 hour timer allowing you to create characters on the other side.

This would allow new players and old players to play where they want when they want but with a timer penalty.

The game has always been unfair to the UK players not allowing a 3rd English Server so people could play their third realm. Therefore missing out on 1/3 of the content.

This would solve that.
We're limited in what we can change. The clustering code can be tweaked in certain ways by us but not in others. We can change the timer for swapping realms for example (our plan is for any servers that are clustered to have a 1 hour timer rather than the 8 hours that Mythic has in place), however the restriction on creating characters on different realms of the same cluster is not something we can change.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
The thing is, I currently don't play DAoC (and I'm not even 100% sure if I'll be back). I don't know how underpopulated Prydwen is, currently. But, the way it was when I left it, I wouldn't want to have the RvR zones clustered. It might get too messy, too laggy, the real problem is that there's no way back. So they can't undo the clustering.

So, I'd say, "No", not until Prydwen is really really really really dead, and that's for GoA to determine.

You should get your facts right before filling the poll. If I were you I would NOT fill it before logging on and playing on prydwen for a while.

Ghost Town Ligen is not a favourite spot of mine.

If prydwen is not really really really dead now, then I don't want to know what do you consider "really really really dead".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom