Server 5 - 8 now with 20 playerlimits *comments*

S

SAS

Chris gave me a choice. 20 playerlimits on the box housing the new servers or maybe squeeze a new cs server onto the box (it has been coping very well with the load and could handle possibly 1 maybe 2 more servers on it).

The servers are not in full use yet so I went with the 20 playerlimit. Any comments? :}

I'm also looking into a custom map server which granny has posted a thread on (reply to it! :) )

------------------
Posted by S.A.S
http://guides.barrysworld.com

C

cenobite

On jolt the 20 player servers are a total no skill FFA campfest. People like it since its easy to get weapons and cash.

If Barrysworld want to attract the best players I would suggest going over to 20 player servers will stop this. Although to have a small percentage of 20 player servers might be useful. As long as the server name is changed to 'No Skill bleaters server' :)

S

SAS

Ceno that's what I'm a bit worried about :} But it seems to work ok on demon net servers and I've been in a few 10 v 10 games that have really started the blood flowing :)

If people dislike the idea then it can be changed. Wait a few days. Try it out and post comments here :)

------------------
Posted by S.A.S

B

bigfoot

I'd suggest maybe having 1 x 20 player server, and say 1 server running dust all the time (seeing as its the most popular map i think).

C

cenobite

Well was just on a few people were complaining about it being a total lag fest. Though i think this was as much to do with the map, TUNDRA.

CRAPPA for lag more like :/

O

old.zog

I haven't tried the new BW servers yet, but when I went to the i4 LAN event earlier this year, I found that the only map that really worked with 20 players was as_tundra (it was the only one that was really big enough). Too many of the other maps are spoilt by having 10-a-side. Corridors just get filled with loads of players spamming shots everywhere. 14/16 players total seems about right, in my experience.

Y

~YuckFou~

20 players seem to be affecting the pings. I usually ping 70/90 to the new servers, with 20 players thought it goes to 90/120. I'm sure that the same effect is seen by others. I've played on Demon too and tbh after 15 mins got bored and come back to BW. Too many players can just turn a game into a frag fest and tactics seem to go out the window.

S

SAS

I enjoyed the games of 10v10 on the servers as did most people with the feedback I received :). Loads of firefights, but...

If it's effecting players ping times then It looks like they will be dropped to 18 playerlimits and we'll see how that goes :}

------------------
Posted by S.A.S

O

old.QorbeQ

Tried playing on Jolt 20-player the other day. It wasn't too bad until it filled up, then my normal ISDN 60 ping shot up to 140 odd and it got really spikey.

Dunno if that's just "CS" for ya, or the hardware - I've _not_ noticed the same thing on BW's 20-player servers (prolly cos the machines are a bit meatier).

However, I think heading towards more servers with lower playerlimits would be better... if one machine handles (for example) 4 servers of 20 players, maybe turning it into 5 servers of 14 players (or even 12 to make it "league stylee") would be possible?

Limiting one or two servers to "popular" maps causes problems though, as they are always full while the rotating servers languish... maybe the CS gang will be ditching the unpopular maps in a beta-or-two's time?

[This message has been edited by QorbeQ (edited 17 July 2000).]

O

old.zog

I'm pretty certain I read that they'll be ditching the es_ maps. To be honest, of the ones I don't particularly like, *most* of them could be improved dramatically with just a few minor changes, I reckon.

O

old.DAiSHi

20 is ok , except my FPS goes a bit loony at times.the thing about the jolt and demon servers they run for 20 minutes,and i find that way to short for a map,as it takes each side a while to get used to working as a team.by the time you have got some team work going the map ends.remove the as_ maps there lame

T

TedTheDog

I've been telefragged on spawning in Italy (or whatever its called) a couple of times on the 20 player servers.
Other than that, I havent been playing it long enough to form an opinion as to whether 14-16 players is better than 20, I currently enjoy both.

O

old.DAiSHi

nothing to do with this post but how do i make a cfg file for CS?i find my FPS really slowing down at times so aiming becomes fecked up,help mesa

O

old.DAiSHi

nothing to do with this post but how do i make a cfg file for CS?i find my FPS really slowing down at times so aiming becomes fecked up,help mesa

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom