Question Serial Killers

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Anybody done any research into some of the caught serial killers in the past century or so?

Spent a day a few weeks ago extensively reading over reports / studies and gotta say that I was fascinated.

Another question is - do you think intelligence equates to being a successful serial killer or circumstance?

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Does watching the whole Dexter series in a week count as extensive research?

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Does watching the whole Dexter series in a week count as extensive research?

haha no but this is where my curiosity began - did you know that this year 2 people were arrested and charged with murder, a couple that referred to themselves as dexter and lumen....

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Usually go through the story's on wiki when i'm bored or watch docu's. "The craigslist killer" is quite funny but false advertising, hardly a serial killer when you've killed one person ....

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Usually go through the story's on wiki when i'm bored or watch docu's. "The craigslist killer" is quite funny but false advertising, hardly a serial killer when you've killed one person ....

i read every single wiki page of all of them on the serial killer by victim count list - my god there were some oddballs in there.

Ted Bundy though is the serial killer that disturbs me the most

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think you're a serial killer, "innocently" starting a thread about "researching" serial killers because you get kicks out of talking about it. It's like those murdering types that turn up to the murder scene afterwards and try to help with the investigation...

You are so busted. :)

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
I think you're a serial killer, "innocently" starting a thread about "researching" serial killers because you get kicks out of talking about it. It's like those murdering types that turn up to the murder scene afterwards and try to help with the investigation...

You are so busted. :)

hahaha damnit :> although you have to admit that is kind of the attitude a lot of people take.

I'm one of these people that has quite a curious mind, so I will read about pretty much anything to no real goal, admittedly I have thought - how long would I last if I were on the run etc :p

obviously i'll never commit murder to find out but I am quite curious as to how long my level of intelligence would keep me alive/out of jail

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Intelligence, common sense, (lots of) cash and the ability to walk away from relationships and family and I think you'll be ok. Assuming you have just killed someone though, emotional detachment shouldn't be much of a hurdle. :)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
There was a serial killer in the 1920ies in Germany, named Fritz Harmann. A good deal of his conversations with the psychologist in jail was recorded and printed in a book. I don´t know wheter this book is available in english, but it´s a pretty interesting, yet quite disturbing read. (There is also a movie based on those conversations).

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
There was a serial killer in the 1920ies in Germany, named Fritz Harmann. A good deal of his conversations with the psychologist in jail was recorded and printed in a book. I don´t know wheter this book is available in english, but it´s a pretty interesting, yet quite disturbing read. (There is also a movie based on those conversations).

any idea of the book title? I'd be tempted to learn to speak german just to read it if it were only in that language heh

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
The book I`m refering to is Die Haarman Protokolle but that one is out of print. But there are a lot of similar publications about this case.
However, if you don´t speak german, I assume it´s pretty hard to read, because a lot of the language and vocabulary is rather out-dated.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
haha no but this is where my curiosity began - did you know that this year 2 people were arrested and charged with murder, a couple that referred to themselves as dexter and lumen....
Ah! LOL

Lumen is my favourite character of the whole serie :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
OP:
david_biog.jpg

BBC - Psychoville - Characters: David Sowerbutts, played by Steve Pemberton

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
It is a fascinating subject. A lot of the serial killers I've read into the background of had some very troubled upbringings, however this is by no means the case for all.

dahmer for instance, had a "normal" upbringing, then around his early teens just started to withdraw and spent his time alone. He seemed to develop an interest in dissecting roadkill he found. It all went downhill from there really, but there were signs along the way that he wasnt all there.

Quite a comprehensive list of serial killers who have been convicted, by country:

List of serial killers by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the couple's that always fascinate me the question of how the other half of the relationship get pulled into the serial killers world and rationalises what they are doing (for love etc).

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I've done quite a lot...not sure if I am allowed to talk about anything I've ever done on these forums though I might piss off the trolls and spark off another world war but at the risk of getting a bollocking for talking about myself again....

[disclaimer: do not read if you are not interested in anything I say...]

I did my extended history essay on Jack the rippers influences on modern policing techniques and did loads of research into the way serial killer cases are treated. I do not believe you have to be an evil supergenius to be a serial killer but one thing almost all the SKs I read about are is highly cunning, it's more a feral intellect than mensa stuff.

There are some startling facts about lots of very high profile SK cases, for example many of them were questioned about the case and dismissed as of no further inetrest and went on to kill again, quite a few did voluntary work on their own cases, i.e. doing paperwork and helping with searching (gives them a power trip) and a lot of the people who write about these cases are the most helpful nicest people out there. When I did my project I got in touch with several authors of Ripper books from all over the world and they all replied (except particia cornwell lol but she doesn't really count), I even had a phone conference with a guy at the FBI in Quantico...he kept calling me M'am and made me giggle. Anyway it is a fascinating topic, this is quite a good website, if a bit sensationalistic (don't know if that's a word but it sounds good hehe) Crime Library: crime stories on serial killers, the mafia, terrorists, spies, assassins and gangsters

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom