Seeking Advise on playing a Necromancer.

BaneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
Just started a level 20 full deathsight necromancer but i am abit new to the class and i am not sure what spells i should be casting and when in combat.

Normally i buff my pet with servant of grave(dex buff) and Brawn of the dead(str buff) then pull mobs using vit theft(lifedrain) but after that i kinda get lost as to what spells i should be using and when. I was so bad at it my pet got killed by 3 green mobs first fight i had with him. kinda clueless to the class since i used /level to get to 20... also not sure where to hunt at 20 and what staff i should use.... full deathsight staff or a all round staff.... any advise would be helpfull :)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
  • Firstly, use the Powertap over the Lifetap. The difference in Damage is made up for by the fact that you'll gain mana from each landed nuke.
  • You might also want to use the Specline AF Debuff, I generally don't bother with it too much but against Red Con's its surprisingly helpful.
  • The Con Debuff in Baseline Painworking is insta cast for both you and your pet, you can try to let it off at range but thats kind of tricksey its easier to wait 'till your in Melee but if you really want you can squeeze some extra dmg out of your last tap
  • Use the Instant Lifetap (Baseline lifetap is pet cast, Specline is player cast/pet insta) when your pets in Melee - Also use the HoT when your pets at about 75% health, its more dependable than the LT, especially when going up against higher con mobs.
  • If your running low on Mana mid-fight, pop Facilitate Painworking (baseline Painworking) - you can cast 2 spells (powertap again, Lifetap if your pets dangerously low on health) while your pets under its effect but make sure your queue of stuff is clear. The main reason I wipe out is because I forget i've just spammed off a couple of LT's and it totally wastes my FP (not to mention if you really bugger up your pet will try to cast a powertap) - Takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it its easy enough.

Thats pretty much it. When you get the ABS buff don't forget its a realm buff, not pet (I ran around for 2 lvl's before I figured out why 'I couldn't see my target' :rolleyes:

Hope it helps in any case :)

BaneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the help...

Just wondering what i should spend my first few realm points on to help me level and why plus should i be using a deathsight staff or underworld staff.

Currently going to go try hunting at cornwall near that building full of roman guys that a good place for a level 20 or is there better.

anyway thax for the advise so far :)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
If possible get an SC'd staff with 50 DS Focus, when I was lvling though I mostly used Epic and Quest ones. For skills... I'd say points in Dservent for lessened varience on HoT's - not sure if Necro pets are like others where HP and other stats are aided by pet spec but there isn't much point in going over your lvl in DS and there isn't really any reason to have +painworking.

For RA's - I skipped on MCL and when I finally cap out of Cale i'll have Aug Acu2, MoM2, WP1, and... i'm not sure on the final RSP but I was thinking maybe Lifter1 for the 20% extra carrying capacity.

Cornwall is nice, but if like me you were new to the server you'll definatly want to stay in the SI zones. RoG's are great :)

Few Useful Links:

Guide of Spirit Weak Mobs
More Details on Facilitate Pain
VN Boards: Necro Forums

Quest for a great cloak

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
For RAs I would go with aug acuity 2 and then go for the +DD and +crit DD RAs. MCL is useful in a tight situation but not really worth it in my opinion. If you are PLing a toon then it is far easier to duel them and power tap them back to full mana health.

At level 20 it is best to hunt in Avalon marsh and go for the ghoul lord/knight tag teams. They should be yellow/blue and usually come in groups of three or four which means mucho groupo bonus...o! :D I stayed there for a few levels until about 23. I *think* I went to the gray ghosts after that in SI or perhaps I went to the roman legionaires...I forget. I do remember that the romans have nasty cold DD proc which can really screw you over in a fight, especially when they group.

Another good idea is to roll a tailor with your necro and get your MW skill up and then level a lot in SI. You will have so many ROGs to salvage (especially from the ghost houses near Ft. Gwyntel) that you will be rolling in plats. :)

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Sissyfoo said:
For RAs I would go with aug acuity 2 and then go for the +DD and +crit DD RAs. MCL is useful in a tight situation but not really worth it in my opinion. If you are PLing a toon then it is far easier to duel them and power tap them back to full mana health.

I was amazed that necros didnt get FA, would have been realy usefull when you loose your pet - to tap FA so you have normal speed to run away and hopefully live, think this gets changed in frontiers tho and necros get it :)

Thrunge

Fledgling Freddie
There are the two types of offensive spells for the necro.

The power/life tap that the pet casts, takes the pet 3 seconds or so to cast and is used to pull the mobs at distance. These are the Theft spells and Vacuum spells

The second is the insta lifetap, this spell takes you 3 seconds to cast but the pet casts instantly when his next swing is completed. This is the "Of the Dead" spell ie Scream of the Dead.

So you get your target , then hit the Theft or Vacuum spells until the mob is on your pet then start spamming the "Of the Dead" spell to finish him off.

The Facilitate Painworking spell is a method of uninterruptable casting of the ranged spells. When the mob is on your pet, dont cast any instas, wait until the pet swings to attack the mob, then click FP and the theft or vacuum spell of your choice. When you hear then thunder type sound and see the pet starting to cast then hit another theft or vacuum spell. Unbuffed you can get two of these off. Do not spam any other spells whiulst FP'ing as this will muck it up.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
getting FH (necros quike cast) can be a bit tricky at first. Most importaint thing to remeber is that even if you cast it, you have to wait for it to tick through to your pet, and it will be over written (and waisted) if you try and cast other spell. Trick is to make sure you have no spell waiting to be cast (mainly the instent life tap you'll be using in close combat) and then just after your pet swings in melee hit your FH followed by the spell you wish to cast, then once your pet starts casting hit the next spell you wish to cast.

BaneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks

Thanks for all the help and advise :)

What i am trying to do is help level my other cleric as a level my necro but the clerics only level 9 and i specced in smite cuz i found gettin groups abit differcult(not as many low level people as there use to be). Probs respec my cleric to enhance and rejuv at 20 to make things easyer.

o yeah one question if i start tailoring how much skill do i need before i can salvage the loot i get with my necro. Not sure i have the patience for crafting. Only hope of me starting it at all would be to use some bot program to do it for me and i don't wanna end up banned or something. Do they look for people using crafting bots through? or is only way u get caught if u actully tell people about it?... umm maybe i should leave the subject alone lol

anyway thanks for the help :)

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
If possible get an SC'd staff with 50 DS Focus
Focus is capped to spec level :twak: , no point getting a 50 especially at 20 (unless it will last to 50, which is unlikely on a necro)

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
BaneWolf said:
o yeah one question if i start tailoring how much skill do i need before i can salvage the loot i get with my necro. Not sure i have the patience for crafting. Only hope of me starting it at all would be to use some bot program to do it for me and i don't wanna end up banned or something. Do they look for people using crafting bots through? or is only way u get caught if u actully tell people about it?... umm maybe i should leave the subject alone lol
800, and I wouldnt if I were you, theres no need tailor is easy and doesnt require static equipment, you can take materials with you and skill up in downtime/during fights

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
PJS said:
800, and I wouldnt if I were you, theres no need tailor is easy and doesnt require static equipment, you can take materials with you and skill up in downtime/during fights

Choose the right spawns and no downtime will be 0.

But the most common things you want to do as a necro is -

a] More than ever - be nice. If someone has a fairly small camp and its obviously two can't camp it then leave it be.

b] Don't think that a necro can chain pull high oranges/reds at low levels. Everyone will get a bunch of resists once in ther life and will end up with a mob @ full hp hot on your tracks. A necro is best played chain pulling high yellows/low oranges with odd occasional high orange. If you dare take on a higher con mob maybe find a spot where there are yellows so u can power drain from em.

c] Tailoring is prob the best skill for a necro. level it as you level and you'll find yourself only having to do the harder points @ level 50 cuz 1-500 or whatever has already been done.

d] Please try and rvr with your necro at least once. It is exactly quite exciting to find the odd luri with no resists and then laughing as you lifetap him for 1.1k damage.

e] Go to vnboards and to the necromancer section. Great help, advice and a lot of readers on there.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
What am i faking about ?
Lmao and if u dont think I cant hit luri's for 1.1k [with no resists] then I should shoot u on the spot

/Oceaa on excal coming back tomoz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom