Security Systems

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Am I right in thinking a security system, with a visible presence of it outside the house/flat, is going to deter even the most stupid of burglars?

The place I intend to move to seems to suffer from little crime except burglaries. Obviously we will have contents insurance but I'd rather remove the risk of burglary altogether.

That said - if you do purchase one of these high tech kits with all the different parts, can you then take it onto your next house/flat and set it up there too? For 225-300 quid it seems like a bloudy good investment - my computer is worth double that alone.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Depends on the theif. If someone wants to smash your windows, grab your TV and run. Loud noises aren't going to stop them, just draw attention to them.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
My main concern is whether these alarm systems that have like a zillion different bits are all able to be moved effortlessly from home to home?

Since they're fitted by a company, I guess, with a charge, they can de-fit them for me and then fit them elsewhere?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I used to fit alarms while I was at Uni. You are better off getting a decent system installed by someone that knows what they are doing, rather than buying a kit and doing it yourself. depending on the size of the property, you will probably get change from a grand for a basic system, and no, they are not designed to be moved from house to house, as the wiring will be channeled or run through the wall cavity.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Get a dummy cctv or alarm, a lot cheaper and the same deterrent effect. Stopping thieves is more about being secure anyway, good locks, not leaving your windows wide open etc.

Chilly

Balls of steel
probably better off making sure you've got a decent door and locks. Burglars wont bother with your place if the door is hardcore, they will move onto the next student chump's flat with a single yale lock and kick it in - happened to me in shepherds bush :( CID told me to fit a "Birmingham bar" to make the door effectively impenetrable without a battering ram.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Look at the property from the point of view of a thief. Can you be up to no good, and hidden from view? Is it easy to get to that unlocked window? Can you park a van outside the front door and hoike everything through the side door of the van? Is the big telly visible from the window? Is the street lighting good?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
probably better off making sure you've got a decent door and locks. Burglars wont bother with your place if the door is hardcore, they will move onto the next student chump's flat with a single yale lock and kick it in - happened to me in shepherds bush :( CID told me to fit a "Birmingham bar" to make the door effectively impenetrable without a battering ram.

A Birmingham Bar?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Toht's comment about a dog got me wondering...

Maybe put a 'Sod the kids beware of the dog' or some such sign? (No - i don't have kids - then again I don't have a dog).

And that comment about a fake security device is a good one too.

I intend to replace the door and fit a zillion locks onto it & i'm investigating into ways of making the windows more secure.

I'm going to get a motion censored front light too.

I'm a bit of an OCD with windows & locks anyway so I know it will always be fully locked.

I'll have to talk to the people living below me too so we can keep an eye on each others' property.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
End of the day if a burglar takes a fancy to something in your house then they're going to get in regardless of what security you have. The best way to prevent yourself from getting robbed, especially in a student area is make sure you have nothing expensive easily viewable and ensure you lock the doors and windows properly.

In student areas burglars go for easy target students because they have expensive snatch and grab stuff like laptops and ipods. When my student house was broken into someone went through my room mates window, took his laptop and then opened his door allowing him access to the house and smashed down my door oposite and took my laptop (which cost over a grand). Funny thing was that there were three 20 quid notes ontop of my laptop and an ipod right next to it which he didn't take but the burglar was in such a rush they didn't bother putting the lights on or scanning around the room.

Anyway i've rambled on enough, basically if you're living in a student area and you're carless then being burgled is a posibility. Ensure you have good insurance and check that there are no limitations on the policy. My laptop cost over a grand but they would only pay out 800 quid as there was a limit in the policy.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Also think when you have done anything when you have heard a house alarm or car alarm going off. People just ignore them and hope someone turns them off the police only get called when it has been going off for a long time. Waste of time and money unless it is a proper one that is actively managed via a monitoring/call out service.

CCTV is different though I guess, so long as its clearly visible then it will probably be a more viable deterrent .

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
CCTV is ineffective. I had a CCTV camera right outside my house which got broken into. They saw the criminal braking through the window, but he was wearing a hood and face mask and had gloves on. Nothing they could do.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Three words;

Big.
Ass.
Dog.

And a tiny dog like this:

87_1.jpg

It will hear things that the big dog won't be bothered about, yap loudly and then the big dog will get involved...

Tom

I am a FH squatter

I intend to replace the door and fit a zillion locks onto it & i'm investigating into ways of making the windows more secure..

You don't need 'a zillion locks', just one or two good quality locks for insurance purposes. Locks are all very well but a big lad with a big foot can bypass them if the frame of the door is weak. Besides, a small window, a towel, and a brick = silent means of entry.

Also think when you have done anything when you have heard a house alarm or car alarm going off. People just ignore them and hope someone turns them off the police only get called when it has been going off for a long time. Waste of time and money unless it is a proper one that is actively managed via a monitoring/call out service.

CCTV is different though I guess, so long as its clearly visible then it will probably be a more viable deterrent .

That may be the case where you live, but if you know your neighbours by name you're much more likely to investigate when their alarm triggers.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I know my neighbours by name, I know pretty much everyone in the village by first name and have done for nearly 30 years....

Unless people on holiday, nobody gives a fuck if a house alarm goes off unless its on for too long.

Are you seriously suggesting that as soon as an alarm goes off you are out the door checking up on things? Do you have a cape funny trousers too?

Never fear the clown is here?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm with Raven on this one, no one cares abut car alarms and house alarms are no different.

Only time i even pay attention to car alarms is when they go off on a street i'm walking on, even then i continue walking.

Most people think "they've got an alarm, they'll hear it themselves".

And even if you hear a house alarm go off, you assume someone is ringing the cops/the house is wired to notify cops etc.

What ould you do? Run down with a shotgun to repel the invaders? :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I know my neighbours by name, I know pretty much everyone in the village by first name and have done for nearly 30 years....

Unless people on holiday, nobody gives a fuck if a house alarm goes off unless its on for too long.

Are you seriously suggesting that as soon as an alarm goes off you are out the door checking up on things? Do you have a cape funny trousers too?

Never fear the clown is here?

Not 'as soon as', but if my neighbour's house alarm is going off and they're out, then yes, I'll wander over and have a look. Generally that's because false house alarms around here are quite rare (and so is burglary for that matter). My neighbours have done the same for me (its sometimes set off if the cat gets a bird or something). House alarms are quite clever these days, you can buy modules that text you their status, or view them over the internet, and you can also integrate fire alarms into them.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
Am I right in thinking a security system, with a visible presence of it outside the house/flat, is going to deter even the most stupid of burglars?

The place I intend to move to seems to suffer from little crime except burglaries. Obviously we will have contents insurance but I'd rather remove the risk of burglary altogether.

That said - if you do purchase one of these high tech kits with all the different parts, can you then take it onto your next house/flat and set it up there too? For 225-300 quid it seems like a bloudy good investment - my computer is worth double that alone.

where are you moving to?!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Toht's comment about a dog got me wondering...

Maybe put a 'Sod the kids beware of the dog' or some such sign? (No - i don't have kids - then again I don't have a dog).

I intend to replace the door and fit a zillion locks onto it & i'm investigating into ways of making the windows more secure.

I'm going to get a motion censored front light too.

I'm a bit of an OCD with windows & locks anyway so I know it will always be fully locked.

I'll have to talk to the people living below me too so we can keep an eye on each others' property.

Whats a zillion locks going to do? theyre screwered in to a wooden door and a wood door frame i presume? and therfore they are as strong as a screw in a piece of wood.

not strong at all.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
My apartment got broken into about a month ago. Midtown Manhatten: 2 mins from the UN. 25 seconds from 17th police precinct. Cameras everywhere. My door is made of solid steel, with a steel doorframe. Probably the safest and most policed area in all of Manhattan.

But crowbar + time > door. The cops reckon it took the guy over 5 mins to smash my door down. My door + frame was totally destroyed. Potentially a security system could have wanted the guy off but if the guy really wanted in, nothing would have stopped it.

The one thing alarms do though, is freak the guy out. Burglary is a clandestine act and doing it with a loud attention grabbing sound might make people run for it. In my case, I had very little of value since I was moving out in 3 days, so he / they just got a laptop and camera. The same guys broke in further down the street on the same day and stole $15,000 of jewelry and electronics.

My new place is alarmed, and I'm gonna stick some big 'beware of the dog" stickers up just in case. No one wants to come face to face with a giant Alsatian. But if they want your stuff, there's nothing you can do about it.

Marc

FH is my second home
A dog is the best security system you can buy.

Theifs arent bothered about fancy CCTV systems or alarms, because they cover their faces and are in and out before anyone realises the alarm has been going off. A big nasty, growling dog on the other hand will scare away even the most desperate of smack heads.

German Shephard, Doberman or Staffy would do the trick. All 3 can be easily trained and are all very loyal, loving and extremely protective of their owners property.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
German Shepherd is the best of the 3, its less likely to eat your face when its had a bit of a bad day :p

Marc

FH is my second home
German Shepherd is the best of the 3, its less likely to eat your face when its had a bit of a bad day :p

This is a complete myth. Dogs like the staffy get so much bad press, but this is because of the way the owner has brough them up. Experts say, that the staffy is one of, if not the best family pet you can have, as long as you arent some chav who trains it to attack everyone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom