Second car suggestions

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They’re a bit dull.
Meh. I think the days of cars as entertainment are over (for me at least). I drive to work, which is suicide-inducingly dull, or I drive to the mountains or sea to go mountain biking or kayaking. Hence me having ten+ grands worth of bikes and kayaks and wanting to spend a lot less than that on cars - because, unless I'm at a racetrack, there's absolutely nothing that a car can give me that comes close to the enjoyment I get from either of those sports.

But of course, if I've option A) boring car and B) equivalently priced and economical interesting car I'm going to choose B) every time.

Which is why I'm here asking :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Meh. I think the days of cars as entertainment are over (for me at least). I drive to work, which is suicide-inducingly dull, or I drive to the mountains or sea to go mountain biking or kayaking. Hence me having ten+ grands worth of bikes and kayaks and wanting to spend a lot less than that on cars - because, unless I'm at a racetrack, there's absolutely nothing that a car can give me that comes close to the enjoyment I get from either of those sports.

But of course, if I've option A) boring car and B) equivalently priced and economical interesting car I'm going to choose B) every time.

Which is why I'm here asking :)
You could pick up a mark 2 focus st.

Used car buying guide: Ford Focus ST | Autocar

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Is it worth it through the company or do the benefit in kind costs make it not worthwhile @Wij?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
If fords didn't make me puke I'd consider it :(

Yes yes. I know the volvo's based on it.
The Mark 2 Focus has a ginormous boot and is reliable and the 5 cylinder ST engine is eminently tuneable too.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Is it worth it through the company or do the benefit in kind costs make it not worthwhile @Wij?
Not usually. Maybe if you went electric but otherwise it's not usually worth it these days. Check with your accountant but unless you have very unusual finances I'd doubt it.

An alternative is a commercial vehicle. Any business is allowed one. You don't have to get a van. You could get a pick-up. A colleague bought a 2 year old Ford Ranger and is quids in. Personally I think the VW Amarok is better.

You do have the disadvantage of having to go everywhere in a big pick-up though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ta :)

But...
The Mark 2 Focus has a ginormous boot and is reliable and the 5 cylinder ST engine is eminently tuneable too.
I get it, but :sick:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Thought about a 135i @Bodhi - managed to get four of us and four bikes to Courchevel in the Alps using a 1 series. Problem is there's a premium for Beemers (which I don't get as they're common as muck) and although I quite liked the 1 series the driving position was slightly offset IMO which annoyed me. But tbh it was the first thing I looked at.

Maybe looking at the Volvo V40 - one of the diesels.

Buying at that age there is a premium for anything with a nice petrol engine, as they are rare (around 600 130i's in the country iirs) and have a large enthusiast following - compare the prices of a similarly aged 118d and you'll see what I mean. I remember looking at 130i's when I got mine 5 years ago, the one in the ad would have been around 8k, so as close to depreciation free motoring as you can get. For instance my 125i Coupé was 10.5k when I bought it, looking on PH, I'd need 8.5K to buy something similar.

A good friend had a V40, I would describe it as....transportation. Quite comfy, but boot is nowhere near as big as you think.

Golf R32? Similar price to the 130i, not as quick or good on fuel, sounds epic though.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Cars bore me to death now, I was a total petrolhead for decades, but these days its just traffic jams and speed cameras and you can buy a 160mph car for 2 grand and its just a sea of clone audis and bm's being driven by chavs and they occasional ludicrous burbling exhaust versions that get booted for 3 seconds then back on the brakes.
Around here there are so many tricked out Range Rovers with arches and drainpipe exhausts with standard ducklip/botox chavette at the wheel.

So yeah, Im of that age, so I pootle around in my van which carries my toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom