Season 8 BWCTFL Map Pool

B

bigfoot

For the new BW Q3CTF League Season i have currently 4 core maps which will be used - Q3W2, Q3W3, Q3WCP5 and Q3WCP9.

Suggestions for 3 / 4 others?

W

Wazzerphuk

3w4, cp8, cp7 (this produced fucking great games when it was in the season before last).. and I can't think of another.

Also: stay the fuck away from CTF2, it's been done to death - give some other maps a chance.

S

Sar

Coaches?

To use the euphemism the kids "on the street" use these days: GGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH3333333333333YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

5v5 you don't need a coach at all. A coach in CTF is a luxury.

S

Sar

Er, oh aye, maps! :D

Stay away from (imo): CTCTF2, CTF2, CP9, 3W1, 3W3.

CTCTF2 - too many entrances to base, base too constrictive for defenders

CTF2 - played to death

CP9 - See CTCTF2 & also complete dearth of available armour

3W1 - totally wank since TW update

3W3 - see CTF2.

C

Chameleon

In addition to the Core ones, the only other maps I would like to see in there are ctf2 and harshg.

O

old.canny

q3wcp1, q3w4, q3w5 & ctctf2 is what I would like to see...

Please don't choose CTF2, its been played to the death!

/me waits for Sky's pro-Q3CTF2 propaganda :upyours:

canny

O

old.POTZW-Diablo

Q3W4? This map is the 0-0 draw every game, on every server,everywhere isnt it?
Its just a spoiler map if used 5v5 in a league,the team who is fortunate enough to face the title hopefuls will be able to draw it and score a point.
At least ctf2 produces captures,even if it is hell if your connection is at all iffy,or fps etc.
I wouldnt mind giving that city crossings one a go (some of the KR players were talking about it in Savage i think )-cant be any worse than wcp11.
ctctf2 is ok,but maybe a little too big-but plays alright i suppose.

Please dont drop ctf2 in favour of w4 or w5,which is also a bit mickey mouse.

Coaching in ctf,hmmm no thanks.

O

old.Richy Boy

Drop CTF 2

CTF2 was a great map, for a couple of seasons at least.

It's not so good now though, you either have cable connect rail llamas or you don't, it makes for a very dull game if your side is a little ping hampered or has no rail superstars.

O

old.mactu

I'd go for q3w4, q3w5 and q3wcp7.

The one I'd definitely choose to drop is q3ctf2.

O

old.ketaMine

ctf2 rules, period.

I shall never ever tire of doing (ok trying:p) / seeing the jumps on that map. Never understood what the fuss is about. w2 hasn't been played to death ?:p The spammy lg mid of w3 is far more tiresome than ctf2 ever will be.

Coaches, against them personally cos i like to see a side run the show themselves, but not that worried either way, i guess it means an extra player is involved which is good plus swapping things about at halftime is easier. It's not a major issue if they're used or not tbh.

w4 is the best thing since ctf3, if u know what i mean. Complete disconnect for me (as is wc6) when it arrives on a public.

For me i'd put ctf2, w5, w7, and cp1 in :)

O

old.+SO+Moth

CTF2 being played to death isn't a reason to get rid of it. The reason it's played so much is because it is a classic map that works. Personally I think w2 has been played to death, but I still want that in the league too. w3 can go though. :)

I vote for ctf2 and w5.

cp10 looks interesting too.

I didn't think much of wc6 or wcp11 and w1 has been ruined imo.

O

old.exp

map pool

There are many new maps to choose from, tbh i like ctf2 very much and will miss it alot if it doesnt get picked but there are alot more maps which i admire, i've watched a number of demos from other leagues around the globe, q3wcp3 is a very nice map :p nice fast game play, it aint a map where rail or a particular weapon dominates it. q3w8 another fog map but i've played it vs iqs and must say it was well fun. q3wcp1 i miss alot from both barrysworld and savage, its a great map always had fun games on it :) q3w4 its a good map, but its to small for 5vs5 games, just right for 4vs4. q3w5 i like, thats about it :eek: q3w7 excellent map good replacement for 3w1 i think, unless q3wctf1 makes a come back which i doubt will :p CTCTF2 - nice map, but looking at it now its extremely big, i wouldnt say no though cause i like it.
Anyway take a good look at the maps please and try to imagine how it'll be played in the league, no more random maps please such as q3wcp11, q3wcp7 :) bad choices over the previous seasons. My choice would be :

along side : 3w2,3w3,wcp5,wcp9
id like ctf2,w7,q3wcp1, q3wcp3 :)

O

Ozh

IMO,

CTF2 is as boring as watching the same movie a thousand times in a row.

W4 is not designed for 5vs5. There's no room, it's so low ceiling everywhere that there is almost no need to aim with rockets since there's splash damage anywhere.
And it's so much zoomin railin campin at the tight middle.

W5 could be cool to try. A bit tight maybe, but I'm sure it can produce nice games.

And IMO, coaches is a cool option to try, and if one doesnt want to use it, just dont use it :)

O

old.DeadlyNun

w4 w5 w7 and wc1 seem like good maps to me :)

O

old.gS.TuKo

:D

ctf2 requieres a quite good knowledge to understand it and being able to enjoy it. I remembered hating this map: the good advice is to look demos of it, play it and u'll enjoy it as well.

It would be not very wise to remove it:

this map has been attacked by many unexperienced clans and always defended by the big ones :)

believe me i was in the 2 of the parts of it :) (yes i wanted ctf2 to die but now it's all the way around)

wcp5 is a strange choice for a the basis choice of maps as his quality isn't very good and it's as well a very controversial map.

we could try w5 (cathedral). This map didn't get his chance last season, even if it looked nicer than maps like wcp11 and 12.

another interesting map is wcp4 with the fog: the layout seems good: best is to let some clan play some practise game on it and see if the fog is really that annoying. good points on this maps are wctf1 alike jumps and quick speeds possible.

wctf1: could be re-used. The big question is WHY not. That was a big quality map and only cause there is a newer version of it the map is dieng, and all this without sense. Wctf1 is a really good ctf map.

wcp11/12 are very average. wcp11 having 5x2 entrances to mid wich makes 10 possible ways to escape mid. *g*.

w4: isn't a good map in 5o5's as it's a 4o4 map. Bases too locked, spam too efficient

my choice:

wctf2,wctf3,wcp9,wcp5,ctf2,q3w5,q3wctf1

O

old.exp

pool

bring back q3wctf1, q3wctf2, q3wctf3 :p they rock, the newer versions have bits of crap sticking out everywhere, old ones run smooth ;)

S

Sar

Saying people only want rid of CTF2 because they don't know how to play the map is a bit insulting tbh.

The only reason SOME of the big clans want to keep it is the same reason people rail against changes in TDM maps: Fear of losing their security blankets.

I like the map, and certainly know how to play it being an experienced CTF-er myself (play nationally for and captain NI in the EuroCTF championships and my CTF clan, XPd, finished 4th in Div 2A in BWCTF and have been about for quite a number of seasons), but there's a difference between keeping a map because people feel secure on it knowing their tactics backwards etc and keeping a map because it deserves to stay.

We've been playing it since the first season of BWCTF (I would imagine as it's a standard id map) so it's time to give it a rest and try something new. It's the only way to challenge clans and keep things fresh. Plus there's the fact that people with shit machines hate it cos it eats their fps (not a problem I have however - 1.9Ghz p4 etc).

O

old.ketaMine

What's the point in slagging off maps if you don't suggest any alternatives ? :p

Suggestions for 3 / 4 others?

And as for security blankets, I never had one so wouldn't know;) , i just love playing a class map like that, win lose or get tonked :)

O

old.Wiiija

You have to keep ctf2 its a great map to play :] and it does deserve to stay.

Lose 3w2 as its really not that great imo,I try to get this ousted in every league though but always fail so I expect no diff here :D

wcp5 is a terrible choice,its no more than a corridor and really not great fun to play.

I vote ctf2,cp9,w7,w3,w5,cp1,erm and chicken maps in any form! :]

wij

C

Chameleon

CTF2 has been played and played and played, but only cos it's a well designed, fast flowing, CTF classic!
Lets not ditch it for others just cos they havent had their 'one season trial'.
The huge amount of maps in the 3w mod had a lot of potential, but has been a terrible disappointment imo. The maps are very poor.
I guess you dont know what youve got till its gone ........ I'd rather have Japan, the original 3w1, harshg or ospctf2 (the old, whatever it was called) than ANY of the other new maps, excepting cp5 and 9 of course.
Lack of decent maps is gonna be the death of this game!!!

I

inqy

Here's my list of CTF loving....

Anything from the OK list would probably work for CTF. But please not the Shit list :)

SHIT!
Q3W4
Q3W6
Q3W8
Q3WCP2
Q3WCP3
Q3WCP6
Q3WCP10
Q3WCP13
Q3WCP14
Q3WCP15
Q3WCP16
Q3WC5
Q3WC7

OK(ish)
Q3CTF2
Q3W5
Q3W7
Q3WCP4
Q3WCP12
Q3WC1
Q3WC2
Q3WC3
Q3WC4
Q3WC8

Good
Q3W2
Q3W3
Q3WCP1
Q3WCP5
Q3WCP7
Q3WCP8 - HarshG - play twice
Q3WCP9
Q3WCP11
Q3WC6

O

old.AcidBeard

w7 is obviously the greatest ctf map ever made so bringing that in would be nice:)

i hate cp5 but it seems every league master loves it :(

ctctf3 would be a nice map to consider instead of the larger ctctf2, it seems to be overlooked in the 'only 1 map from the chicken team pack may be considered' rule

also bring back japan!!!!! or wcp1 its such a class map.

whatever you do just no more cp11 and do not ditch ctf2 as it produces fast frantic ctf without fail. even though sars mega 1 year of ctf experience leads him to believe its a security blanket most people know it produces the best ctf ever :p even after all this time it isnt stale as their are new moves to perfect and execute, no other map has this. i still love it despite me getting 40 fps in mid. :)

S

Sar

Originally posted by AcidBeard
even though sars mega 1 year of ctf experience leads him to believe its a security blanket most people know it produces the best ctf ever :p even after all this time it isnt stale as their are new moves to perfect and execute, no other map has this. i still love it despite me getting 40 fps in mid. :)

As I said above, it's the same with TDM maps - clans are basically lazy and would play on the same 6/7 maps indefinitely if they could (then turn round and quit cos it's gotten boring - spot the irony). I know this from bitter experience running leagues etc for several years :)

btw you not getting your new pc fairly soon-ish?

40fps no more :)

O

old.Ninja Master

Maps

q3ctf2 : no thx , it s an over over over played map , there isnt any secret to find , every body knows how to play it even if it dont masterise some trick
This map is only a ctf map when you use a trick without this it s a pure TDM map that needs more aim skill than any other skill and any other map :( for the 5 vs 5 lineup :puke:
A good 4 vs 4 map only

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

q3w1 : is an old map ( q3wctf1 ) over played like q3w2 and q3w3 but it s seems that with the time and with the q3w1 version of q3wctf1
the map is not played like it would be, it s a often a map with Draw scrore only because nobody has understand how to play it (strange for a overplayed map)
Must of the offense player not have understood that the main focus on this map is only the flag ( we play CTF :) ) and loose some time in useless duel
It s a very long map , that s mean that the average time for to do a Capture here is 2 time more compare to other map
so as being an offense player to kill everything in sight means that i will find again the same player in few meters (so no !ennemis dont defend with 4 or 5 players it s just you play bad)
Let your defense players defend here plz (hurt ennemi offense if you want but if you want space in ennemie deffense dont kill ennemi off every time except on a PU rush of course)
This long map design add some richess to the gameplay

q3w7 will be a good add , because not over played so it s allways a pleasure to try to find good strategies on new map
This map is played a bit on public server and show a good rythm play style, no big PU ( like Quad or Haste ) here ( only Regen )
so it s a pure Cap, Run and Pursuit map - i like that

q3wcp8 : i like non-sysmetric map too , if the map is well balanced , and it s the case here with this new version , it force player to have good Adaptation skill in function of which side of the map he fight

Now if you want realy new or not at all played map on the threewave pak
this map may be some very good one:

q3wcp12 and q3wcp14
all have a interresting architecture , with quite open Flag room
different ways to arrive to it ( high , left , right )
you need a very good comm here
end q3wcp12 has the Invisible PU , interresting to have this PU back for the gameplay since q3ctf3 is no more played

We must have different style map ( long / short / symetric or not / with PU or not
)
so my choice is Q3W1 , Q3W7 , Q3WCP8 , Q3WCP12 and maybe Q3WCP14

O

old.PoluX

CTF2 powa

Oh my god why ctf2 has been throw away??? that's the greatest map of ever! So trickable, so many captures! (and so nice scores) compared with fucking maps like w3 where there are no caps, or too long flag on each side of the map... shitty map! See for exemple yesterday the euroctf match france against spain where there was about 15minutes with 0-0 cause the two flags where picked up and never get back...
On ctf2 that's where i saw the nicest caps! this is a strategik map and if it has been played for so long there is probably a reason... that's because that's one of the best!

That was my point of view and the point of vue of many persons i know and are too lazy to talk about it...

Regards

O

old.AcidBeard

yea i will have an insane number of fps soon ( :DD) but even if i didnt ctf2 is still class and is a league above the rest imo. as for clans being lazy they are but if 'oldschol' maps are gradually replaced by maps that are of equal goodness then there would be no complaints from most. atm it seems ousting great maps for lesser maps just for the sake of it. if w2 was replaced by w7 i wouldnt care cos i know w7 is fantastic and worth playing :) dropping japan for cp11 though !!! what sort of person does that!!

B

bigfoot

No maps have been thrown away Polux, i just have decided that CTF2 probably doesn't merit being a core part of the league any more. There is nothing to stop it being used if there is sufficient support for it.

O

old.Skutter

Anything But Q3W3 Again

Maps To Include:

ospctf2 - Worked very well on Savage when used a couple of Seasons ago, close games and needs team-work to CAP.

q3wc6 - This worked last season and is a proven CTF setup - why change when clans are getting tactics sorted on it?

Maps To Consider:

q3w4 - No easy attack routes, RG action, and GL wh0ring in defence...perhaps worth a look.

q3w5 - Plays well on publics and is different enough to make for interesting league play.

Maps To Avoid:

q3w3 - Old hat and never a particularly good hat at that...high bandwidth rather than skill/team-work required.

q3wcp11 - ahem...need I say more?

L8rs

Skuts

O

old.POTZW-Diablo

WCP1 was ok,but there seemed to be a major problem with spawns?Every time you killed a defender in base they always seemed to spawn right on top of you,sometimes twice if you managed to kill them again.
Regarding ctf2 being defended by big clans,that may be true to some extent,but we always end up playing IQS or someone of same level on it,and i'd still rather play that map than the defenders dream,w4.
IMO nothing anyone has suggested ,except for maybe wcp8 (played twice) is anything like as enjoyable.
Its not a case of being lazy,its just most of the new maps arent fun to play.

Users who are viewing this thread