Scsi Hdd

W

Wilier

OK, so Ive got myself a nice new(ish) SCSI drive, it says it is Ultra3 compliant. Am I right in assuming that this is the same as, or very similar to Ultra160.

If so, what is a nice cheap card that will run it OK. I believe Adaptec do some good cards, but the array of different PCI to SCSI adapters is mind boggling.

It also dosnt have any cables with it :( and Im not sure whether its 68 or 50 or what?

Help....................

P

PR.

I got a Adaptec SCSI 29160N. It has Ultra160 support

It works well :)

Thats all I can say really, it works...

and it comes with a cable

O

old.Dan_the_man

You're very poor and you bought a scsi hard drive :)

An IDE drive would be cheaper than a SCSI card alone.

W

Wilier

Originally posted by Dan_the_man
You're very poor and you bought a scsi hard drive :)

An IDE drive would be cheaper than a SCSI card alone.

I never said I bought the drive. ;)

S

Summo

I'm with PR on this. I use an Adaptec SCSI 29160 as well, though to be honest that card will run pretty much anything, with its four connectors. :/ It is pricey at £200, though.

Getting the minimum SCSI host adaptor you need is a minefield, as I found out at work (had to get a selection of cards to run a variety of backup units).

It would be helpful if you could let us know exactly what hard drive you have (make, model) so we can work out whether whether you need single-ended, LVD, HVD, 68pin, 50pin, HD, VHD or whatever.

DO IT!

W

Wilier

Right, hang on.

Its a Compaq 36 gig Ultra3 hotplug disk. As seen here

Its out of a Proliant server, Im not even sure if it willl work in my desktop PC.

S

Summo

I've been looking...

You have a 36.4-GB Pluggable Ultra3 SCSI Universal Hard Drive operating at either 10,000rpm or 15,000rpm (where's the model number, fs?)

Both of which use Wide Ultra 3 SCSI (same as Wide Ultra160 - transfers data at a max 160 MB/s)

so...

You're probably looking at getting something like an Adaptec 19160, (on Scan for just under £200) but I can't swear to it as Compaq aren't being forthcoming in advertising what sort of SCSI interface the drive uses. I'm asuming it's standard SCSI and not some weird Compaq legacy design.

If you let me know the model number I might yield more positive results.

Tomorrow, though. Tomorrow...

W

Wilier

Cheers Summo.
I'll get the number. Ive counted the pins on the back and there are 80, so I assume I'll need an 80 to 68 interface of some description.

Im not paying £200, so I'll check ebay, you never know.

Go to bed m8, Im only up cos Im on nights.:sleeping:

Edit.
Model Number: BD03664553

There dosnt seem to be a power socket. Is that normal for SCSI drives?

T

Testin da Cable

no power? err look out matey: it may well be that the drive's been modded to fit a raid backplane [combined power+interface]
better check that before you get a card for it.

W

Wilier

Hmmm, thats a bit of a downer.

So where would I get a card, if at all, that would do the job, or am I onto a loser?

W

Wilier

If you have nothing constructive to say, shut up.:eek:

S

Summo

Ooh Lordy, Mr Wilier. No power socket is indeed a Bad Thing. I use similar legacy Dell drives for work server RAID backplanes (as TdC said) and I've never heard of an adapter to make these individual drives run in a single PCI slot, either SCSI, IDE or other.

If I were you I'd phone Compaq technical support and ask them if there's a solution. If they get funny, you could mention you're building a development server which will run on a standard desktop box and you want to use existing server drives.

Good luck out there, kid.

:(

L

~Lazarus~

Ive asked someone at Compaq (HP?) - will let you know what he says.

F

FUCKINGLAMENESS

It's a standard 80-pin SCA connection. All you need is an SCA to 68pin LVD adapter, which you can pick up for about £20.

Be careful though - some of these adapters don't support LVD and hence will only cater for up to UW speeds (40MB/sec). The only ones I've found that work properly at U2W and Ultra160 rates are available from these guys.

On a related note, you'll find that the Tekram Ultra160 cards are both cheaper and faster than the equivalent Adaptec controllers.

L

~Lazarus~

Concensus from Compaq is that unless your pc has a SCSI controller, the drive wont work.

Most Desktops dont have a controller

W

Wilier

Originally posted by SomeGuy
And what about supplying power to the drive?

C325984-01.jpg

There you go Summo, the solution is cheaper than I could have hoped. £15 from RS components (works paying, how kind;) )

I also picked up a NEW Adaptec 2940 ultra from ebay for £35. Just need a cable now, and Im on.:D

I am indeed the bargain basement man.

EDIT.
Struggling to find an 80pin male to male cable now. :(

Ho hum, the search goes on.

S

Summo

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 2940U only transfers data at 20MB/sec. Your drive can transfer at 160MB/sec. Don't let your SCSI adapter be a bottleneck noooooooooo!!!!!

Sorted with the little interface adapter, though. :)

W

Wilier

Yeah, but it was only 35 quid ffs, at least it gets me started. I can then save my pocket money for a proper one.

scsi39160_boxboard.jpg

$399

*starts paper round*

W

Wilier

OK, so the troubles never end.

Im now looking for an 80pin to 80pin male to male cable/adapter type arrangement. The drive is female and so is the adapter thing (which arrived today)

Bugger, maybe I could use 80 bits of copper wire..........

Users who are viewing this thread