scouts spec

O

old.Rohirrim

hey im a lvl 5 scout and have 14 points to spend. What shall i go for? At the mo i get killed by a bow, should i go for bow and thrust?
I would like a good sniper and melee scout for the time being.
thanks
:flame:

S

Silence

definatly keep bow maxed, and decide on thrust or slash,

my scout is thrust, but if i re specced i would go slash most probaly. better for pve.

O

old.Rohirrim

Originally posted by Silence
definatly keep bow maxed, and decide on thrust or slash,

my scout is thrust, but if i re specced i would go slash most probaly. better for pve.
sory for the noob question but whats pve, ive prob done it but i dont know the word pve

i was gunna go thrust to go against tanks, when should i put points into sheild and stealth, considering i wanna rvr pretty early

L

Lam

Originally posted by Rohirrim

sory for the noob question but whats pve, ive prob done it but i dont know the word pve

i was gunna go thrust to go against tanks, when should i put points into sheild and stealth, considering i wanna rvr pretty early

pve means that you're fighting mobs and not human players.

Also, i wouldn't put too much points into shield if you're going for rvr since you will hardly use it. A scouts task is to kill the enemy before he even gets spotted. Because once you get spotted you can just run or die (in most cases unless you target grey-yellows).

I would also prefer slash since it will be easier to do pve and in rvr it won't make that much difference for you.

As for the speccing, i used to play a scout and i didn't start speccing in stealth until i was lvl 20.

S

SFXman

I reallt hate the term PvE... what is it supposed to mean if it stand for killings mobs. Player vs. Enemy? RvR has enemies too... I much prefer PvM which is used in UO for example. It can Player vs. Monster which it is... or Player vs. Mob to fit the DAoC terminology.
PvE is just a bit illogical imho.
Anyway to the point... keep longbow maxed, bring in some steady thrust/slash with the leftover points. Also shield with any more extra on the side, shield at least to L7 imho to get engage. Don't spec in stealth until a few levls before you think you will be visiting RvR.... non-RvR it is close to useless. Since you really have to spec to max almost to get any use... a mob which is higher level than your stealth next to you will most likely uncover you after 3 secs...
I really started taking stealth only lately, at L19 since later on I will do some Yggdra visits :D

B

Bootae

Definatly do NOT do slash. Slash is based upon strength, where as thrust is based upon Dex.

And stealth is far from useless outside RvR, when joining groups being able to meet anyone, anywhere inside a dungeon is pretty damn cool. Though in RvR that high stealth is very usefull, mine is 33 now though will be getting it to 40 and its proven great for deep recon, aswell as the usual sniping.

Some people recommend getting 42 Shield later on for the 10 second stun move (great for escaping melee in RvR), myself I dunno, I'm toying with the idea of more thrust instead to get a bit more damage output.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Bootae
Definatly do NOT do slash. Slash is based upon strength, where as thrust is based upon Dex.

And stealth is far from useless outside RvR, when joining groups being able to meet anyone, anywhere inside a dungeon is pretty damn cool. Though in RvR that high stealth is very usefull, mine is 33 now though will be getting it to 40 and its proven great for deep recon, aswell as the usual sniping.

Some people recommend getting 42 Shield later on for the 10 second stun move (great for escaping melee in RvR), myself I dunno, I'm toying with the idea of more thrust instead to get a bit more damage output.
I must totally agree on the NO slash part as unlike thrust it requires strength, which I only took so I could carry more arrows (in the beginning) and dex will raise with levels anyway.
But, then again you said it is damn cool.... doesn't make it useful tbh. I have stealth now with my L21 scout since I have started occasionally visiting RvR. But in PvM I have never used stealth and have done fine... it most certainly will not save you from a mob that is after you even if you get a head start.... it finds you anyway if it is after your group. Then again the need to stealth around monsters, I don't see such a need being very necessary.
I myself and going for 42 shield, 15 thrust (already got it), 50 longbow and 36 stealth. ALTHOUGH I will still be changing the longbow from 50 to a 4x so I get more stealth... items will get me the 50 longbow and stealth anyway.
Reason I don't care for much thrust (only 15) and would like the 42 shield is because:
As many people have said, they want to kill the person before they reach them. But think about a situation where someone does reach you, the stun given at shield spec 42 let's you do a nice 10s stun from any side and whenever... this gives you time to either run and stealth or go back a bit, place an arrow in your bow, aim and shoot. Great isn't it... of course 15 thrust in PvM might be a bit of a drawback but imho I only want to be good in RvR... that is after all the goal of a scout. So far I have done fine soloing yellows... as long as my critical andfew regulars hit. Easy.
So I don't see a problem with the low thrust of 15.

E

Elvewen

The plan for my scout is to go

39 - Long Bow
39 - Trust
42 - Sheild
31 - Stealth

There seems to be no point in fully maxing the Long Bow as the Longshot and Volley are ( by the sound of the US Servers ) going to be implemented as relm bonuses. I do max it up to the last critical shot though.

And IMHO stealth will not be worth completely maxing as you dont need to get up close and personal with an enemy, just be able to get into a sniping position.

With bonuses this should get 50+ on most and 40+ on stealth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom