Scores

A

Anduin

hi maybee im a little unclear on this
in the rules you say
2 points for an offensive win
1 point for a defensive win
on 4 rounds that makes 6 points
so how is it that some teams on the results page have 5-2 scores as this makes a total of 7 points am i missing something blatently obvious here???????????

A

Anduin

ooops my bad just twiged it 1 offensive nd 2 offensive 1 defensive win although i do think this scoring thing is confusing and wonder why and offensive win is worth more than a defensive win esp when your defending longer than your attacking

K

*Kornholio*

good point, I personally still believe that playing Stopwatch mode would sort all that out...

B

bigbb

If stopwatch mode is in demand then we're change the league to sw for the first season. But, what came out of numerous discussions in the forums, particularly the 'League' thread was that people wanted Objective, in the majority.

D

dusustin

In my opinion, you should not follow what "the public demands", but choose what is best suited for league play. And frankly, SW is the mode for that. Every major US league has that format, BoB, STA, now even CAL.
But I have stated this before, and will now keep quiet :)

dusustin [EBG]

B

bigbb

If clans/players decide that they believe the league to be best suited to Objective, then we're that give a try first. It would be senseless for us to dictate the league to clans/players, against their will.

O

old.pii_smith

i think that stop watch or objectiv mode (with switching sides) are not that different. every clan has to defend and fullfill a given objectiv. what is different is the time in which every clan has to do it. maybe the advantage of using sw would be to seperate clan better (e.g. not having too many draws).

i dont mind either playmode, as long as good working league can be run with them. this means if a season of 7 games means 5 draws and 2 wins or losses decide the placement, then the playmode isnt suited.

pii_smith

K

*Kornholio*

Originally posted by pii_smith
i think that stop watch or objectiv mode (with switching sides) are not that different

I think there's a huge difference... I'm just waiting for a top clan to complete their objective on something like Assault or mp_base in 2 minutes or something against a low ranking clan, only to have someone from the other clan sneak past their defence with 35 seconds remaining of the 8 minutes, thus forcing a draw, but by no means was the game equal... but both teams get the same score...

S

Starkill

The UKD point of view (being a clan of friends) we are in the tourney to just enjoy the experience, learn from our mistakes and most of all have fun. Our own server usually runs stopwatch mode as opposed to the usual objective and I do find myself agreeing with some of the other comments.

As a team that do not expect to really do anything in the first season of this, but as I said before use it as a learning experience, I would feel sorry for another team if they won the objective in 2 - 3 mins and as was said previously we managed to sneak in with seconds on the clock.

Having said all that at the end of the day I am very grateful to everyone who is investing a great deal of time organising this league. I have done similar work before and it is always easy to pick holes in things but it is bloody difficult to give the commitment required to organise this. On this basis I am happy to go with whatever decision the organisers make.

K

*Kornholio*

i'm not trying to pick holes, just voicing my opinion :)

O

old.pii_smith

kornholio i did say that these both modes are not that different, coz u have to play in a similar style.
i also mentioned that the only difference is the TIME a clan has to complete or defend the objective.

after all, as i stated above, i will go with whatever solution gives the best working (e.g. not too many draws) and most enjoyable league.

pii_smith

P.S.: if anything in my post was hard to understand due to my english, im sorry but im not a native speaker.

S

Starkill

Kronholio the comment about picking holes was not aimed at anyone in this thread jst some of the frustration I have previously encountered. My fault that wasn't verry clear sorry.

B

bigbb

Originally posted by Kornholio[UC_UK]

I think there's a huge difference... I'm just waiting for a top clan to complete their objective on something like Assault or mp_base in 2 minutes or something against a low ranking clan, only to have someone from the other clan sneak past their defence with 35 seconds remaining of the 8 minutes, thus forcing a draw, but by no means was the game equal... but both teams get the same score...

Oke, there is always that risk. But, remember what Division Assault is for; to assess a clan's skill base and accurately place it into a suitably challenging division. The idea is not to have a world beating clan against a 'low ranking clan' as you've mentioned. The structure has been designed as such to provide a close and equal platform for clans to compete across so this very situation never arises.

K

*Kornholio*

Yeah cool, i'm happy to go with whatever mode of play (as long as it's not CP...) ;)

I suppose SW really gives the advantage to the better clans, while objective gives the advantage to the weaker clans by giving them more of an opportunity to complete the objective...

I'm happy with it going on a 'suck it & see' type basis...

M

McBastard

Originally posted by Kornholio[UC_UK]

I think there's a huge difference...

I agree that there's quite a difference. Stopwatch is excellent for choosing a winner, which makes it ideal for cup tournies.

Stopwatch doesn't necessarily reflect the difference in strength between the competing teams accurately - any more than objective does. The extreme cases aren't really that interesting - at least when you haven't yet looked at point distribution and encouraged style of play.

I'm counting from week 1 (defaults excluded):
6-0: 9
5-2: 6
4-4: 4
3-3: 1
4-1: 1

And per team:
6 pts - 9 teams
5 pts - 6 teams
4 pts - 9 teams
3 pts - 2 teams
2 pts - 6 teams
1 pt - 1 team
0 pts - 9 teams

Which looks ok, but of course this may be due to a wide spread in team strength, which will diminish once we've been put into the league divisions.

I've already gone on for more than long enough about this, but I really think that a rock solid argument should be presented before the current form is overthrown. Such an argument would of course have to take into account that this is a league, and not a cup tournie.

A

Anduin

Personally i belive that objective is far better for this league than stopwatch
This is because you can have a bad clan get a lucky win in just a few minuites with the better clan not given the chance to win it back because of such a quick win at least with objectives its fair both teams have the same time to do it in
(would like to point out at this time that personally i am a big fan of stopwatch over objective i just think that objective is fairer on both teams)

O

old.Skull

There is very little luck in rtcw - the better clan (or more accurately the clan who can play a particular map better) will almost always win

O

old.psyder

One thing about the scoring system it does favour good attacking teams :(

If a team manages to defend sub (a serious feet) they'd only get 1 point :( where as a team that attacks and wins in sub (pretty easy) get 2 points!!

This does seem a little unfair to me as the league will be scewed with the best attacking team at the top but the best overall team would finish lower down :(

Maybe it should be just 1 point for a win, a win being a succesfull defence or completion of the objective.

Cheers

psyder

K

*Kornholio*

Well in your scenario Psyder, the clan that attacks & achieves its object is better than the clan that can't complete its objective, and therefore deserves more points... I do see your point, but with Sub, most games will be draws probably due to the ease of attacking on it...

However, if you're a good defensive team, and save the sub, you get 1 point & the opponent gets nothing... if your team can't attack very well, then that's something to work on & practise... after all, attack is the best form of defence ;)

Users who are viewing this thread