Sciencey types please help

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I've been sent some free!1!1 devices which are meant to measure the levels of radon in your home. I've been told to send them back to the "National Radiological Protection Board" in 3 months.

My question is - If I stuck them in the microwave for 30 minutes before sending them off, would I get some men in hazard suits running around my house? :)

(For any paranoid nerd who's interested in buying these detectors: clickie)

Edit- Hmm. Just realised that plastic + microwave = oops :D. Still, could put them in on a low voltage or something.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
If you have an old monitor(crt) stick it next to that for a few days while its on as these produce low amounts

Cyradix

FH is my second home
naaah, the radiation level would have to be at least a 100 times higher before those guys start to worry....

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Just pile about 30 mobile phones on it :p

I watched a tv program where they piled 100 mobile phones on an egg and called them - and checked to see if the radiation cooked the egg. It didn't so i guess they dont do that much radiation.

Jeeves

Banned
Find someone in the physics department of your nearest uni, and ask them to expose it to a source. x<

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Jeeves said:
Find someone in the physics department of your nearest uni, and ask them to expose it to a source. x<

The poor sod lives on an island off the NW coast of scotland - post one to me twog and i will stick it in the chemistry department :p

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The highest source of radiation in any home...?

You

Stick it near your stomach, the pancreas I think or some other organ, it gives you your highest daily dose, cos all the radiation you pick up in some mineral or summit gets stored there.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Holy mother of God morch!!!! i didnt think it was possible but your avitar is now even more disturbing!!!

cant sleep now, scared......need teddy and hot water bottle STAT!!

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
should i be happy with the fact that both were once pictures of my (irl) head? :(

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
UndyingAngel said:
If you have an old monitor(crt) stick it next to that for a few days while its on as these produce low amounts
Radon produces alpha particles, while monitors emit beta particles so that won't work too well. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom