sceptical about the community

Aeicaan

One of Freddy's beloved
going to be alot of people that have played daoc/swg/d2/wc3 and even CS that wanna try WoW out when it releases and with all theese ppl joining the same game its either going to be a collision and everyone is going to hate each other from the beginning(almost like when ToA came to daoc) because in some games you might be more helpfull or something like that, i dont fucking know but hope you know what i mean... Because thats why you play a game, or its a big part of it, i know that i wouldnt have played as long as i daoc if it wasnt a 'great' community and ppl you could rvr with. what do you guys think? will it be fucked up or will it work with all that mix and match shit?

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I hope people do come from all over the show, if not only for the variety of experience from other games.

It was the same with DAoC, that community didn't appear out of thin air, people came from other games such as D2 (like myself), Ultima Online, Everquest etc and you seriously can't tell me it's a bed of roses over there, even before ToA there was the huge amount of conflict regarding RvR, bots, killstealing & general pratishness. I fully expect that same kind of conflict to appear here although it will be curbed to a degree.

In short sure there'll be a collision as you put it, but isn't there always?

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
I think you could be right, with all the hardcore eliteists joining to play one game it could turn into ToA with people disliking each other, but I think it will take some time before this happens. It's a whole new game, people are going to want help from other people to excel themselves rather then tell everyone to piss off if they don't know how to do something someone else does.

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
FuzzyLogic said:
In short sure there'll be a collision as you put it, but isn't there always?

True there is but people from other games will expect other things from other players from other games, they expect them to act like them, in D2 you couldn't exactly camp a mob. As you say, there will be a curb but I don't think this collision would kick in until their are alot of experienced players.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I see where you're coming from though by that reasoning the conflict should appear almost immediately as people who come straight from D2 for example may not be familiar with the concepts of killstealing or camping since the two weren't really an issue on D2 and as such go ahead and do this anyway in the early levels of their character on WoW. As they gain more experience with the etiquette of an mmorpg they would (in theory at least ;)) do these things less and less.

Of course, it doesn't always work that way but hopefully you see where i'm heading :)

edit: Forgot to mention Nugusta, the curb I was referring to was that of me being trigger happy with the modstick :p

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
I think the conflict wont appear until later as the first time they do it, someone will say something and they wouldn't do it again until they become "1337" etc

I misread the curb thing :p

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Of course this will happen, we've already seen from the now closed PvP server thread that people will bring their opinions and misconceptions of each other from one game to another. What I didn't like about the "uber" guilds in DAoC was that they were playing what was supposed to be a team game, but only really cared about their own guilds - saw it time after time.

But as most of those people will be going to play the PvP servers it's really a non-issue -- they can have their gaming experience and I can have mine.

Aeicaan

One of Freddy's beloved
FuzzyLogic said:
the conflict should appear almost immediately as people who come straight from D2 for example may not be familiar with the concepts of killstealing or camping since the two weren't really an issue on D2 and as

yea thats what im thinking about to, i dont know how the swg/wc3 community is but i know the CS one is fubar and some more and some less experienced mmorpg players will it be a good mix?

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah the community is going to blow big time.

It's going to be 10x worse than the daoc community which sucks as it is, but in general WoW has the tendency to draw stupid people like a magnet.

Then again any game with PvP will really draw out the bad apples. I just hope Blizzard comes up with a good solution to griefing, body camping etc. lame stuff.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Define the word grief please? body camping is not griefing its apart of PVP some people do it and some people dont.

If you dont like being body camped then i can pretty much say the PVP servers wont be for you.

Wildfire

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I'm looking forward to the fresh start, there will be some 'leet' players who have had level 60's because they've been in the closed beta since the start, but the majority will be new to the game. At the start of something new like that, people tend to help each other because they're all in the same boat.

Which will make a damn nice change.

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
As for griefing I mostly ment high levels making lowlevel players life impossible.

Yeah I know, it's impossible to expect anything but "lez cockblock teh lowbies" from a PvP server - which naturally is a big part of some peoples entertainment and the mentality of the PvP enviroment, however like I said, I'm hoping for Bliz to rework the honor system so it atleast somehow punishes people for killing much lower level players constantly since I don't see any fun in that, but that's just me.

Either way - I'm still going to play on PvP, I'm just hoping against all odds that it's still possible to level at some rate atleast without being permanently griefed upon, even when starting the game long after release like I unfortunately forced to do.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
There should be more than enough servers for the 'community' to saturate and fall into environments of their choice. DAoC started with only two English servers. WoW should have a few English PvP, PvE and maybe 1+ RP server to start.

I wouldn't freak out just now about all of the griefers being on your server. No doubt there will be assholes on every server, but some will have more than others and those you will avoid :)

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
I'm kind of looking forwards to hanging out with more people who've never played a MMORPG before, which is kind of where I was when DaoC came out.

Not so fussed about the PvP servers, since I wasn't planning to play on one. But isn't the whole point that you get to police your own server? If anyone acts like a dick, just pk them.

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
I don't think it will be that bad, every game has it's share of ignorant f***s, It think the problem is what your standards are. Do you expect everybody to be nice to you, help you whenever you ask them and treat you like your one of their personal friends ? Then eventually you will be pretty frustrated i guess.

I expect nobody I don't know to help me if I ask them or to treat me like im their friend, but if it they decide to do so it will be much appreciated.

If people annoy me, i move on, ignore them, and forget it. Why waste time and effort on them. If people start harrasing me, I try to keep it civil. If that doesnt work, they will be ignored and reported.

If i would let every idiot in a game get to me I wouldn't be playing games. Especially not MMO games.

I'm really looking forward to WoW, i think a lot of non-MMORPG people will experience something very cool. I hope they won't ruin that for themselves or others.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Yea, its kind of a cultural clash, altho there are lotsa bnet kiddies and CS hoes you just have to put up with it I guess. General chat is the most annoying ever, all flaming and shit tossing constantly, makes u wanna go mad ~~
Imo, WoW community gonna be abit dodgy at start, but when ppl settle in and grow bit mature and understand how MMOs work (ppl that havent played 1 before) they'll act accordingly

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I will turn general chat off unless i need to use it for something, at least in the lower level zones for the first couple weeks, since they will get very spammy etc.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
There are also people coming from Planetside, a lot of people coming from Planetside infact.

Why do I mention this because Planetside got a mixture of RPGers and FPSers and they mixed quite well each bringing different skills to the battlefield. The RPGers tended to go support the FPSers grunts and it worked.

Instead of looking for bad things to happen why don't we all just wait and see how it turns out. Let the powerleveling monkeys level to 60 in a few weeks and miss all of the awesome content there is in the game.

I am from an FPS background (not CS more Quake / EF / COD / BF) I find this game awesome, relaxing and alot of fun. On my travels to date I havn't met one horrible person.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Aada said:
Define the word grief please? body camping is not griefing its apart of PVP some people do it and some people dont.

If you dont like being body camped then i can pretty much say the PVP servers wont be for you.
Body camping is only a part of pvp of sad little people who can't win on even grounds. Well either that or they are griefing.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Yoni said:
I find this game awesome, relaxing and alot of fun. On my travels to date I havn't met one horrible person.
You didn't meet me then? :p
Always time in Euro Final beta ;)

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
i dont care what people used to play before WoW aslong as i get along with them

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Where do you think the daoc commuinity came from.. ?

fake edit: the answer is other games :p

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Jonaldo said:
You didn't meet me then? :p
Always time in Euro Final beta ;)

Remember to tell me where you play,this "l337" going to show you something :p

sko

Loyal Freddie
Whatever you say about the WoW community, nothing can possibly ever get worse than Daoc community. Seriously.

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
sko said:
Whatever you say about the WoW community, nothing can possibly ever get worse than Daoc community. Seriously.

Sure it can - but not by much.

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Alot of the player base will come from Warcraft 3, so imagine a game where the Blizzard Lobby people can actually effect your gameplay with their baffoonery :D

In short though, the population will be alot more diverse for WoW then what you might find on EQ or DAoC, because for a large proportion of people this will be their first MMOG, simply because as stated earlier alot will migrate from WC3.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
allot of daoc players came from CS, Tactical ops, Unreal Tournament, EQ, D2, etc.
and it came good..

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Read the Daoc Excal boards and tell me if that has a good community spirit. :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom