[QUESTION] Scenario - Idle Timer

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
I am in a scenario and we are getting a bit of a thumping. We are forced back to our respawn point. I stand on the edge of the respawn point spamming heals on the players down below. The "you are idle" message pings up (even though I am busy hitting various keys) so I hit ok and move down the slope.

I get beaten up and hit respawn, getting a 20(ish) second timer. The next thing I know I have been removed from the scenario with no xp, no renown and no explanation. The only one seems to be that the game thought I was idle.

Any idea how this works. Is it movement based ? Are you forced to leave the respawn point ?

Nate

FH is my second home
Are you forced to leave the respawn point ?

afaik, theres a debuff put on you while your in it's area. While in the area you will get no xp or renown.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Any idea how this works. Is it movement based ? Are you forced to leave the respawn point ?

yes you have to leave the respawn point. theres a area up there that gives you a 2 minute idle debuff, and with 1 minute to go you get the popup warning. and if you remain there and the debuff reaches 0 you get kicked out.

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
Interesting - the area seems a bit beyond just the respawn point as I had moved forwards and been killed by tanks. It also takes no account of any other actions. In fact if you are pushed back as far as posisble you are almost forced to suicide by running into the enemy.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Interesting - the area seems a bit beyond just the respawn point as I had moved forwards and been killed by tanks. It also takes no account of any other actions. In fact if you are pushed back as far as posisble you are almost forced to suicide by running into the enemy.

I have had this same problem. If the enemy is right outside my spawn point then it seems stupid to run out into them as a healer so I stand on the edge of the spawn point/slide down the slope right infront of spawn and then get kicked because of it :(

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not surprised the scenario AFK flag takes no account of keypresses; It would seem to be designed to stop leechers sitting in spawn and tapping jump every 30 secs as used to happen in WoW.

It is, however, a bit naff that you get no xp or renown if you happen to be forced into a situation where you're fighting out of your spawnpoint.

Some maps need a bit of tweaking so it's much harder to box the enemy into the spawn, or maybe Mythic should implement some sort of of system where if more than half of a scenario team is outside the enemy spawn at any point, the map resets them back to their own spawn, allowing the boxed in team to get out into the arena, as it were.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

aye its rather large but you can still "camp" up there if u are taking a beating.

i havent seen any scenarios yet that it havent been possible in. just a matter of finding where the aura ends.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
or maybe Mythic should implement some sort of of system where if more than half of a scenario team is outside the enemy spawn at any point, the map resets them back to their own spawn, allowing the boxed in team to get out into the arena, as it were.

that wouldn't really work tho. if a team gets boxed in its either because they lack key classes, suck royally or is up against a set group or 2. and resetting the enemy to their spawn will only make them push you back there again.

its not gonna give the "underdog" a fighting chance.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Maybe those spawn guards should work better. If the enemy gets so close to your spawn that you are forced to stand in your spawn to fight them then the guards should attack the enemy.

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
that wouldn't really work tho. if a team gets boxed in its either because they lack key classes, suck royally or is up against a set group or 2. and resetting the enemy to their spawn will only make them push you back there again.

its not gonna give the "underdog" a fighting chance.

... I'm not sure I follow your logic.

It'd give the boxed in team far more of a fighting chance than they have currently.

I agree it's not a total solution, but then there is no, and indeed should be no total solution. If you get boxed in to spawn because your team sucks, then you'll continue to get boxed in because your team sucks. That's just the way it is, as you rightly said.

However, nobody likes feeling trapped. It's not fun, and games are about fun at the end of the day.

My solution as presented is not intended to stop teams getting pushed back to spawn - it's to ensure that the losing team gets enough breathing space to able to get out of spawn, maybe pick off a straggler or two, or even pick up an objective before getting pushed back again. Basically, it ensures they have as much fun as possible, and keeps them from leaving the scenario in total frustration because they're trapped.

Hmm. FPS games tend to get around, or at least lessen the impact of the whole spawn camping thing with invulnerability timers. Maybe that's another possibility to look at.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ive never really understood the idea of leeching in a scenario, why on earth would you want to sit and do something really dull when you could actually be playing the game? o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom