Saving money & Buying or leasing first car

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Considering this is a thread about doing things cheaply...

I do get why the brits in particular are obsessive about cars but I'm on the side of the fence that says buy wisely, but save your cash.

The £23,000 I didn't spend on pouncing around in a succession of cars, which are after all boxes you sit in to get to the place where the actual fun is, has alternatively been pissed up the wall having experiences and obtaining assets that mean I won't have to work as long, freeing myself for even more fun.

I think the alternative is madness, frankly. A bit like some women obsessing over shoes and clothes and fashion in order to make themselves look good, rather than working on having fun and making themselves fun to be around. Victims...

Yes, and leasing can be a cheap way into a new car if that's what you want. What's more I'm happy that it is what some people want, as it gives me a nice selection of nearly new metal to choose from.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Not everyone is driven 100% by logic as you appear to be @Scouse , people enjoy splurging on things, be it cars or shoes or whatever. Some people just enjoy driving, it doesn't matter where to and I bet they'd rather get there in a slightly comfier, faster, newer car with less chance of having it conk out at any minute.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I totally get that @Billargh - and enjoy driving myself - I track day my car sometimes.

But I find it a special kind of madness that in a world where money is tight people choose to make their commute nicer. That spare £23,000 I saved on not having a "new" car (it's certainly not a shit car) goes a long way to a shitload of holidays.

It's a question of choice. And I say brits are weird.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Leasing cars is largely an american model which is forcing it's way in here. On a US dealership the salesman will walk up to you and one of the things he'll lead with is "So, What's your rental?" Then he'll go on to, "Let's see what we can get you in for just $50 more per month..."

So they're weird too.

I borrowed money to buy shiny cars when younger. I still have my Elise which is appreciating now so that's nice, but I wish now that I hadn't wasted money on interest payments. I've had average salary jobs and if I'd managed my money right early on, I'd be looking at retirement in my late forties, easy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yep. I had zero guidance when I was younger at all. But I'm trying to make up for it now. You can't outrun the benefits of compound interest tho.

Whacking everything I've got into mortgage repayment atm. Interest rates are low but if I can clear a 25 year mortgage in ten years I'll save myself a fuckton.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Im not into cars at all anymore...speed is irrelevant because youll lose your licence in a day and a 900 quid hatchback can be chipped for 150 quid to take on a supercar.
They are status symbols and I couldnt give a fuck anymore, feel ftee to feel better about yourself , but umless you drive a 2million quid Lambo...prepared to be dissapointed.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I wouldn't say speed is irrelevant, I always try to break my record average speed between here and Heathrow. Current best is 72 mph from door to door, without ever venturing into 3 figures :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Transit vans can do 120mph these days..it means nothing..the roads are carparks or offroad pothole courses.
All the gold twistys have 50mph average speed cameras.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I averaged 72mph from plymouth to stevenage on xmas eve. Was a great run and rarely went over 85.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom