sata problems

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm attempting to install a new SATA hd, as a replacement for my clanky old 20GB ide HD.

When installing from the windows cd, I hit F6 to install the 3rd party drivers, and everything seems ok, but it won't actually install the drivers onto the HD when the time comes, it just gives me the option to either retry, quit, or skip.

If I skip, when I get to the rebooting from the HD part, I get a nice blue screen with 'windows cannot continue', and the system shuts down.

I tried installing the drivers from my normal HD, but my installation of windows will not install the drivers for the SATA controller, it just says 'invalid data', and a nice yellow x in the device manager (although it does list it as a RAID device).

I have an Asus A7N8X deluxe, latest 1007 bios, the HD is a seagate barracuda 120GB.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
OK I fixed the problem with my current version of windows not seeing the drive. Its there, with a partial XP installation. Just can't get it to complete the installation :(

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Is the Sata drive set as Scsi in the Bios ?

Asus deluxe board is a Tw*t tbh:p Not what your wanting to hear, I know, But the long and short is, Its been fucked since release.

After many an hour trying to help other people with these boards, This is all i can say.

Make sure The sata drive is set as Scsi in the bios,

Sata drivers that came on the mobo disc are the ones that peeps are having must sucsess with, If you've downloaded an updated set, Try useing them.

If all else fails, Try googling "Uber Bios 1005 Asus A7N8X deluxe" On your own with this path tho, Its a cracked bios that ppl are saying fixed all there problems and worked wonders.

Last resort, Burn or return the board as faulty, Buy a different Sata board. Even another asus other then the A7N8X.

GL.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Well I haven't had a single problem with my A7N8X Deluxe, everything works first time every time and it overclocks very nicely. And the bios has got nothing to do with setting the SATA drive to anything, all it does is let you set the boot order.

I assume you're using the silicon image raid drivers and installing off a floppy? Does the window install see the SATA drive?

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i havn't had any problems with my A7N8X deluxe, although i haven't tried the SATA yet

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Bob007 said:
Asus deluxe board is a Tw*t tbh:p Not what your wanting to hear, I know, But the long and short is, Its been fucked since release.
Whoa there fella, get your facts straight, aside from the issue with the audio codec on rev 1.3/1.4 the A7N8X is a terrific motherboard. We set one of these up yesterday, same config as Toms - (A7N8X deluxe v2.0 and SATA as boot device) without a hitch - I've been discussing the matter with Tom in some detail, it looks more like the problem was down to his windows disc and this evening he's going to slipstream a new CD and give it a second go.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
its only just occoured to me that i'm using onboard sound...

my sound, on the V2, somtimes goes a little crackly, like winamp or whatever's using a walkie talkie...

is there a fix

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right, first of all thanks for all the help (including you Xav, but I've a bone to pick with ya so get your armour on!).

I fixed it.

The issue was, as Xav has stated, with the Windows XP disc. I eventually had to install XP onto the new SATA drive, from within my current windows installation. I was a bit worried that the setup would get confused, and muck it up, but so long as you select 'advanced install' rather than upgrade, and 'let me choose drive/partition to install to', it seems to work nicely.

One thing for others to note, is that on my board, the IDE drive takes the C: slot, and the SATA drive takes the next available letter - in this case, E:. Any SCSI drives come after the SATA drive. What that means is that its best to get your spiffing new windows installation up and running, create a folder called 'old crap' or such, and copy everything from your old drive into that folder. This stops any issues with programs installing to e:\xxx\xxx\blah instead of c:\xxx\xxx\blah. When you remove the IDE drive, the SATA drops onto C:, so things could get confusing if you don't first do this.

Anyway, the new drive is amazingly quiet, and unbelieveably quick. If you don't believe me, well, then...erm....look it up on tah inteawab.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
heh

Well, ignore the bit about c: e:, because I just booted up with the IDE unplugged, and its still showing as e:

:D

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
I think mine did something like that, windows install always showed my IDE drive as being C:, in the end I just unplugged my IDE drive while installing windows. Have you tried changing the drive letters using drive management in the computer management tool?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nah, I'll leave it as it is, it seems happy enough. Besides, I'm worried now about changing the drive letter, as some apps might get all hot and bothered about it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
OK I have another problem

I have 3 scsi uw drives that contain video files, stuff that I've edited over the years for corporate videos, etc. I'd very much like to copy those files to my new SATA HD. The trouble is, when I connect them to the scsi card (2940uw), the computer gets all hot and bothered, and tries to boot from the scsi drives.

I've changed the boot order in the bios to no avail, it keeps loading some nvidia boot program, and searches for something to boot from. So long as those SCSI HDs are in, it won't 'see' the SATA drive and boot from that.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom